Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop the abuse!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Stop the abuse!

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Mr. is an abbreviation, not a contraction but you're right in that contractions (like can't, don't, won't) generally should be avoided in such situations (as, from I understand, passive voice like I just used)
    I agree, but I found a source that claimed that 'Mr.' also qualifies as a contraction, so I just ran with it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Strong Bad is possibly the best character ever created.

Yeah, a few of my pet peeves are in here.
    One of mine is "first annual".
    It is impossible to have a "first annual" event. There is no guarantee that event will take place a second time. It could be a failure, could be a name change, could be a sponsor change, or the world could end and the aliens that find that first annual sign would laugh at us.
    Once that event hits its second year, then, yeah, it can be safely called an annual event. Otherwise...shaddap!

"Most unique" is also pretty awful.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

My favorite is "You know what really grinds my gears" by Peter Griffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    There is widespread abuse going on and it must stop. What is being abused? The apostrophe. This poor little punctuation mark has been abused more than any other, always being put in places it doesn't belong. Stopping the abuse really isn't that hard either. Here are three simple ways you can do your part.

1. The apostrophe doesn't make things plural. More than one apple is apples, not apple's. I have several DVDs at home, not DVD's.

2. If something is a plural and you need to make it possessive, the apostrophe is quite adequate for the job without an additional s thrown in. I have seen the Jones' new car, not the Jones's new car.

3. Know which words are contractions and which ones aren't. It's appropriate to put the apostrophe in its right place.

Now how hard is that? Three simple steps to stop the abuse of the apostrophe. We all have to do our part.
    But why, then, has the Oakland Athletics logo (on caps for sure and also on uniforms, I think) been A's for a long, long time?

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=69

Speaking in apostrophes, I've always wondered what is the possesive of A's? Like in the Oakland A's.

A's'

A's's

???

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

Thanks, ORH. The apostrophe thing is one of my biggest pet peeves. You see it all the time, and in places where the person doing it really should have known better. I've even seen it on the CNN scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    But why, then, has the Oakland Athletics logo (on caps for sure and also on uniforms, I think) been A's for a long, long time?

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=69

Also, upon looking further, I notice that the Philadelphia Athletics used the A's logo as early as 1940.

Makes me wonder if, at some point in time, the apostrophe was used IN CASES LIKE THIS as a way to separate and to avoid the confusion caused by the fact that As spells a word in the English language. Just a thought.

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=87

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Also, upon looking further, I notice that the Philadelphia Athletics used the A's logo as early as 1940.

Makes me wonder if, at some point in time, the apostrophe was used IN CASES LIKE THIS as a way to separate and to avoid the confusion caused by the fact that As spells a word in the English language. Just a thought.

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=87
    Could it be that the full name of the team was Athletics, so the Apostrophe is meant to make it something of a contraction by representing the left out letters?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Could it be that the full name of the team was Athletics, so the Apostrophe is meant to make it something of a contraction by representing the left out letters?
    Makes sense to me.

Are you saying that you see the A's as acceptable usage, then?

That's my take.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

2. If something is a plural and you need to make it possessive, the apostrophe is quite adequate for the job without an additional s thrown in. I have seen the Jones' new car, not the Jones's new car.

OK, thanks guys. So on to the second point that puzzles me...

Granted, it has been a long time since I got any schoolin', but it seems to me that I recall that both of the above examples are correct. I would agree that the Jones' new car is preferred but I thought that the Jones's new car is also OK, if you choose to use it.

Help me out here. I'm well aware that rules can change over time.

OK, thanks guys. So on to the second point that puzzles me...

Granted, it has been a long time since I got any schoolin', but it seems to me that I recall that both of the above examples are correct. I would agree that the Jones' new car is preferred but I thought that the Jones's new car is also OK, if you choose to use it.

Help me out here. I'm well aware that rules can change over time.
    I was once told by an unreliable source that both were correct at one time, but now it's expected that you don't have the final 's'.

Turn Off Ads?