Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why not Juan Rivera?

Why not Juan Rivera?

The reds should take a serious look at Rivera. Since the LAA started signing an outfielder every off-season Rivera has not received much playing time. However, the guy is right handed and in his only two seasons where he received more than 350 at bats he ops .829 and then .887 in 2006 when he hit 23 hr drove in 85 hit .310 slugged .525 and obp .364. He seems like a guy who is worth rolling the dice on who should be in the Reds price range and at great american, his numbers should improve.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not Juan Rivera?

agree I wrote that one month ago

Totally agree. I would love to bring Rivera into this park.

it wouldn't be the sexy pick that alot of fans would like but i would be ok with rivera and think he could become a steal for someone. he won't cost much but has upside to easily reach .280 20 90.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    it wouldn't be the sexy pick that alot of fans would like but i would be ok with rivera and think he could become a steal for someone. he won't cost much but has upside to easily reach .280 20 90.

I agree and after the last few seasons and all the power from the lineup we lost, if there was ever a time for one 'sexy' move to get a bat the time is now. Someone has to protect those young hitters and get them stuff to hit. We need an enforcer in this lineup.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

As an Angels fan, I've always liked Rivera and I think he could be a good fit for the Reds. It's definitely worth a shot if the Reds can get him.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I agree and after the last few seasons and all the power from the lineup we lost, if there was ever a time for one 'sexy' move to get a bat the time is now. Someone has to protect those young hitters and get them stuff to hit. We need an enforcer in this lineup.
    And do you think that Rivera is going to "protect" the Votto, Bruce, Phillips etc...

He's a good pickup for a left field- back up Outfielder role, but not the Big bat this team Requires...

What kind of big bat does this team require and whom do you suggest? Other than Tex of course.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    What kind of big bat does this team require and whom do you suggest? Other than Tex of course.
    I told you Tex was a PipeDream Dude...

No on Pat Burrell... No on Vladamir Guerrero, No on Manny Ramirez... No on Magglio Ordonez...

I would have traded for Matt Holiday if Possible... But Colorado got a pretty nice package of Gonzalez, Smith, and Street...

Garrett Atkins would be a Guy I would really look at Trading for to man 3rd Base... and provide some Right handed Pop...

Ya know... Texieria is the only Free Agent worth the Elite Money Status out there and Bob C isn't going to pay him... So I'd pass on all Free Agent Hitters besides maybe taking a chance on Jim Edmonds as a 1 year Centerfielder until younger guys get up to the Big Club... Plus I feel he'd be a great influence on Bruce and Votto...

So basically, there is no one you would go after in FA? So the question still stands, if he can be had reasonably... Why not Juan Rivera?

So basically, there is no one you would go after in FA? So the question still stands, if he can be had reasonably... Why not Juan Rivera?
    I said in an earlier post, that Rivera would be a Great addition as a 4th-5th Outfielder and that is where he succedes the best as with the Angels...

But he isn't going to be the IMPACT Bat that will protect Votto and Bruce...

just in case anyone missed it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I told you Tex was a PipeDream Dude...

No on Pat Burrell... No on Vladamir Guerrero, No on Manny Ramirez... No on Magglio Ordonez...

I would have traded for Matt Holiday if Possible... But Colorado got a pretty nice package of Gonzalez, Smith, and Street...

Garrett Atkins would be a Guy I would really look at Trading for to man 3rd Base... and provide some Right handed Pop...

Ya know... Texieria is the only Free Agent worth the Elite Money Status out there and Bob C isn't going to pay him... So I'd pass on all Free Agent Hitters besides maybe taking a chance on Jim Edmonds as a 1 year Centerfielder until younger guys get up to the Big Club... Plus I feel he'd be a great influence on Bruce and Votto...
    so now edmonds is the big bat that the reds need in the outfield?
    and didn't you say that you didn't want a stopgap? :

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    just in case anyone missed it...

so now edmonds is the big bat that the reds need in the outfield?
    and didn't you say that you didn't want a stopgap? :
    Nice... CenterField Defense. Edmonds is also only looking for a 1 year Deal...

Would you rather have Willy Taveras and his .295 obp at leadoff???

Bruce is going to Right Field...

I understand your point that you are saying I am basically advocating for what I am against...

But also, I mentioned Garrett Atkins as the Right Handed hitter...

I mentioned Edmonds as a Centerfielder as another pieace "AFTER" aquiring Garrett Atkins...

This was about Jermaine Dye not being the "Go To" guy for being 36 and 37... or Juan Rivera as the "IMPACT" bat this team needs...

Jim Edmonds is 38 going on 39 but he will get around 5 million to 7.5 Million and he Looked great with the Cubs...

Again READ THIS... Edmonds was a player added AFTER AFTER AFTER aquiring Garrett Atkins...

READ please...

i've already said somewhere in another thread that i'd pass on taveras.

you still haven't convinced me that dye or rivera couldn't work.

so you'd want atkins at 3rd and EE where? you didn't say. in left?

edmonds is ok but definitely not at $7.5. i'd rather have dickerson in center. better offense w/solid defense. if edmonds will accept only 1 or 2 million to be a backup i'd be ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Nice... CenterField Defense. Edmonds is also only looking for a 1 year Deal...

Would you rather have Willy Taveras and his .295 obp at leadoff???

Bruce is going to Right Field...

I understand your point that you are saying I am basically advocating for what I am against...

But also, I mentioned Garrett Atkins as the Right Handed hitter...

I mentioned Edmonds as a Centerfielder as another pieace "AFTER" aquiring Garrett Atkins...

This was about Jermaine Dye not being the "Go To" guy for being 36 and 37... or Juan Rivera as the "IMPACT" bat this team needs...

Jim Edmonds is 38 going on 39 but he will get around 5 million to 7.5 Million and he Looked great with the Cubs...

Again READ THIS... Edmonds was a player added AFTER AFTER AFTER aquiring Garrett Atkins...

READ please...

We got that now but you didn't mention that qualifier in your first post, matter of fact you didn't say the word AFTER once in that post. You were just simply listing names.

Even still, at this point in their careers Rivera has the higher upside and plays an above average if not good corner outfield.

Turn Off Ads?