Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank God we don't have Adam Dunn!

Thank God we don't have Adam Dunn!

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

The Reds quest for a right-handed-hitting outfielder is now centered on Jerry Hairston Jr., Rocco Baldelli and Willy Taveras.

Walt Jocketty hadn't gotten official word that the Reds were out of the Juan Rivera sweepstakes. But he had heard the report that Rivera had signed a three-year deal with the Angels.

"His agent told me they had a three-year deal out there," Jocketty said. "I told him we probably wouldn't go three. So that makes sense."

Jocketty made talked to agent for Jerry Hairston Jr. and Rocco Baldelli (it's the same guy).

"Just briefly," Jocketty said. "He was in and out of meetings."

The Reds have an offer out to Hairston. They remain interested in Baldelli. A new report on Baldelli's mysterious ailment came out Wednesday. It makes him a much more attractive option for the Reds. He could play center or left. He's a middle-of-the-order bat when healthy.

The Reds also are believed to have an offer out to Taveras, who they see as solution to the leadoff/center field spot.

I thought there was a good chance that the Reds would sign Rivera. But I can see why they were hesitant to offer a three-year deal.
    I really think Jerry, Rocco, and Willy or some combination puts us over the top.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Thank God we don't have Adam Dunn!

I feel the same way.

We are a 5th place team because we make moves a 5th place franchise makes, over, and over, and over, and over again.

The team that signs Adam Dunn will be much improved.

But lets get real, thats only the tip of the iceberg. We just don't do competent things altogether.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Bottom line is, we need to start building solid players from within the organization. That should be the focus. There's no point in going out and wasting money on a Pat Burrell or Adam Dunn - we just had how many years of not being competitive WITH Dunn. How would his contributions help this year any more? I hope we can build within the organization and get more players to come up, and get Jay Bruce to live up to his potential, and Homer Bailey straightened out. We should be spending this money on proven coaches and scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    The team that signs Adam Dunn will be much improved.
    Where's he gonna play? He definitely downgrades a teams defense. I'm glad he's gone, good riddance.

Trying to resign Adam would cost millions for multiple years. They need that money for other things - pitching and defense.

Bruce in right
    Dickerson/Baldelli in left
    Hairston/Taveras in center

Sounds like a solid defensive outfield. We've just improved the pitching with Griffey and Dunn gone. I can live with Hairston and Baldelli signings. Taveras is ok too if he's the 5th outfielder used to give others a breather. I admit the offense may suffer in'09 but they won't need Dunn's offense as much in '10 or '11 with the talent coming up.

Oh lord, this is a joke... baldelli and Taveras...

Wait, re sign Hariston... I am seeing a minor league outfield there...

Bruce is the only Major leaguer there...

I'm okay with not spending big money on a left fielder because they'll be able to fill that spot from within in a year or less, but I'll be very discouraged if they sign Corey Pattaveras. Pattaveras would not be the fourth or fifth outfielder. He'd be the CF/leadoff hitter. That's pretty clear from Walt's comments and from Dusty's history.

Baldelli isn't a backup. IMO, IF we do end up with Baldelli, Hairston, and Taveras our starters should be Dickerson in center and Baldelli in left. They are the better all around players (and have more power) plus Hairston would be needed to help out in the infield and Taveras should ideally be the 5th outfielder (maybe more IF his obp is improved). I'd want Baldelli in left cuz with his medical condition the less running around he has to do the less chance he'll wear down. If Dickerson is just 80% of what he did last year he would still be fine. We would end up with a much faster offense than what we had at the start of '08 with still decent power.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-19-2008 at 07:45 PM.

I thank god everyday in my prayers that Adam Dunn is no longer a Red.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I thank god everyday in my prayers that Adam Dunn is no longer a Red.
    I feel the same way, and anyone who watched the team consistently and understands the game would. All Adam Dunn amounted to was a really bad overall baseball player, that could hit really long home runs that impressed casual fans.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Bottom line is, we need to start building solid players from within the organization. That should be the focus. There's no point in going out and wasting money on a Pat Burrell or Adam Dunn - we just had how many years of not being competitive WITH Dunn. How would his contributions help this year any more? I hope we can build within the organization and get more players to come up, and get Jay Bruce to live up to his potential, and Homer Bailey straightened out. We should be spending this money on proven coaches and scouts.

I agree the Reds need to build from within.

But it's hard to watch all the other teams make moves and watch the Reds either sit on their hands or go for the scraps.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I feel the same way, and anyone who watched the team consistently and understands the game would. All Adam Dunn amounted to was a really bad overall baseball player, that could hit really long home runs that impressed casual fans.
    actually, in my opinion more casual fans thought Dunn sucked because of his low batting avg. and high K's. All fans were impressed with his long home runs. What all fans should have been impressed with was the fact that he is the only player in major league baseball to hit 40 HR's in each of the last 5 years while putting up OBP's of .388, .387, .365, .386, & .386. To say he was a really bad overall baseball player is borderline foolish and is not supported by the overall numbers
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

For the price we had to pay? Heck yea I'm glad we dont have him

Once again I need to refer back to my remarks regarding (at the time) the upcoming winter meetings...

Hate to be a partypooper but you asked...Yes, I hope to eat crow but based on the last several years this is what I expect.. One or two no name-no excitement signing/trades then excuses on why we just couldnt sign anyone...then in June or July when we are 20 games out we will be cussing at the tv yet again saying "Now why we couldnt sign anyone again???

We basically hear near the end of last season we are going to be active in trades and free agent signings in the offseason....well let see so far 3 months into the offseason we havent signed one major free agent or made one major trade....and per the beat writers Walt's most pressing issue is to get Hairston resigned? or sign a player that cant hit his way out of a paper bag(Taveras)??? If Walt or Castellini would simply come out one time and say we dont have a lot of money or I'm simply not going to pay for any of the big time players--he would certainly save a lot of Reds fans needless frustration...same ole same ole same ole every offseason.....still waiting for all the genius moves, Walt--you're running out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    actually, in my opinion more casual fans thought Dunn sucked because of his low batting avg. and high K's. All fans were impressed with his long home runs. What all fans should have been impressed with was the fact that he is the only player in major league baseball to hit 40 HR's in each of the last 5 years while putting up OBP's of .388, .387, .365, .386, & .386. To say he was a really bad overall baseball player is borderline foolish and is not supported by the overall numbers
    I don't know. The object is to score runs...and Dunn left an inordinant amount of runners on base and in "scoring" position. He went several seasons without a sacrifice fly at all, and it seemed that when he hit a homerun, the Reds were either way behind or way ahead. (Most often way behind!). Added to this the fact that he played horrible defense, and let's just say that the Reds could have done a lot better for the money they spent.

His OBP was very base-on-balls driven...too often coming at a time when the team needed their slugger to drive the ball. Walks can sometimes be rally killers too.
    Last edited by roby; 12-19-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typo

Turn Off Ads?