Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Vernon Wells?

Vernon Wells?

I know, I know, there is no way the Reds and Jays would get this deal done because of the money involved but I think the Wells is a more attractive target than say Pat Burrell and Bobby Abreu because he is younger and would play an above average left field. Not to mention that he would probably improve on his already solid offensive numbers in GABP and against teams in a lesser division like the NL central.

He is owed something like 100 million dollars over the next six years of his deal, with the 2011-2014 seasons earning him 23, 21, 21, 21 million respectively, so that would make it prohibitive for the Reds unless the Jays were willing to pick up anywhere from 20-30% of his contract on a per year basis.

I just think he would look pretty nice stuck between Votto and Bruce but again, I know it would never ever happen.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 12-20-2008 at 11:08 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vernon Wells?

Oh and the reason I write that is because of this:

MLBTRADERUMORS.COM
    Jays Listening On Wells
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 20 at 8:58am CST]
    Jon Heyman has heard that the Blue Jays "have fielded a few trade inquiries" about Vernon Wells, though they are not shopping him. Wells has six years and over $100MM remaining on his contract.

Because of the Jays' financial constraints, they could consider trading Wells or closer B.J. Ryan for the right package. Trading the center fielder would likely take a lot of creativity on the part of Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi given the amount the club owes Wells.

Wells to Toronto= Brandon Phillips here. It would take way too much to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I dunno, it would probably depend on how much salary the Reds were willing to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Brandon will Bounce back...

The Wells contract is a Bad one... Stay away.

Also, Rios is a better option... More upside and younger...

But who cares... Not going to happen.

Rios would be nice. He's more affordable though so I doubt they would even think about trading him.

If the Jays would eat a third of his salary while trading him I would do it. I'd probably turn around and trade Wells in a few years when the young guys are ready but I'd do it for right now.

Trade Alex Gonzalez, Micah Owings, Drew Stubbs for Vernon Wells, Then Sign Abreu to play Left, then sign Orlando Cabrera to play Short

Orlando Cabrera SS
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Joey Votto 1B
    Vernon Wells CF
    Bobby Abreu LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Edwin Encarnacion 3B
    Ramon Hernandez C

Turn Off Ads?