Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: If It's Brown, Flush It Down: Bengals vs. Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Sign me up for not wanting Benson back that much
    Agree. I think he's garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    If you really think the Bengals draft position will effect the future in any way, I think you're way off base. If anything, it's better. Fewer guys to choose from lowers their chances of making the wrong choice. If you're a trenches of bust thinker, you should be begging for Cleveland to pick ahead of the Bengals. They'll take Beanie off the board.

When looking to the future, I feel pretty good about the young secondary, Pat Sims, Rivers, Brandon Johnson. Frostee Rucker was beginning to come on before his injury, too. Caldwell is showing glimpses of what can be on offense, and Cedric Benson is looking like a guy the Bengals should be locking up.

There is a lot of work to do, but the future with a healthy Palmer has a good amount of light to look toward.
    Agree. The Browns will pick ahead of us and either them or Seattle will take the Beanster, saving the Bungals from their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Agree. I think he's garbage.
    He certainly isnt a starting NFL RB. You could probably do worse as a back up though.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I have no idea what Benson you guys have watched but the one I've seen has looked pretty darned good. I won't howl one bit if he's back next year, along with a RB we take either via FA or 3rd round or later.

Right now, things are looking a bit better - OAK is all over HOU, 27-13. SEA is beating NYJ 10-3 in the beginning of the 4th. Those two results hold true and we'll be picking in the top 5.

FYI - in response to the folks who think we may be better off with a lower selection, I want Oher. He will not last past pick 5-6, most likely. Contrary to what others may think, I don't believe we'd take Wells. Benson has looked very good in his limited time as a Bengal and it would be cheaper to extend him a year or two than take a Beanie Wells with a top 5 pick.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I have no idea what Benson you guys have watched but the one I've seen has looked pretty darned good. I won't howl one bit if he's back next year, along with a RB we take either via FA or 3rd round or later.

Right now, things are looking a bit better - OAK is all over HOU, 27-13. SEA is beating NYJ 10-3 in the beginning of the 4th. Those two results hold true and we'll be picking in the top 5.

FYI - in response to the folks who think we may be better off with a lower selection, I want Oher. He will not last past pick 5-6, most likely. Contrary to what others may think, I don't believe we'd take Wells. Benson has looked very good in his limited time as a Bengal and it would be cheaper to extend him a year or two than take a Beanie Wells with a top 5 pick.
    I don't have a problem with Benson returning either. As long as they pair him with another quality back, it can be a decent situation. He's not an All Pro, but he looks like Jim Brown compared to Chris "Down With The Wind" Perry

Coming into today Benson was averaging 3.1 yards per carry this year. That's approaching Harold Green's disaster level. I'm not getting excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Coming into today Benson was averaging 3.1 yards per carry this year. That's approaching Harold Green's disaster level. I'm not getting excited about that.
    But how much of that can be fixed with better line play? Perry had a low YPC amount also, and Rudi's was bad last year.

How much of that is due to the runner and how much due to the line?

How the Bengals answer that will decide what they need to do.

I think Benson's decent, perhaps average, but it's tough to tell if the RB or the line needs fixed most, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Yep.

And he was horrible in Chicago too.

I don't mind having Benson as the 2nd RB, but penciling him in as "THE MAN" next season is a huge disaster just waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I don't mind having Benson as the 2nd RB, but penciling him in as "THE MAN" next season is a huge disaster just waiting to happen.
    You just know it will happen though. He'll rush for 150 next week and the Bungal "braintrust" will get all excited and they'll dump all their eggs into his basket.

Anyone know if Chester Taylor is available? I'd like it the Bungals could do what the Falcons did with snagging Turner and somehow get Taylor. His talent is wasted as a backup.

Save the draft picks for help on the lines and a decent TE.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

3.1 YPC behind this set of turnstiles should be considered HOF-caliber production.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

What people tend to forget is, Benson played in a Chicago offense that was stuck in the 1950s. They had no passing game whatsoever, and all the blame went to him. He faced 8-9 man fronts every week. No RB in the world can succeed in that spot.

It's been much the same here in Cincy without Palmer behind center. Locking Benson up for a few years would be pretty cheap, and surround him with a good passing game and he could flourish. He's never had one to compliment him.

Who else will run the ball? Perry has to be on the outs by now, no one wants to draft a RB...James Johnson? DeDe Dorsey? Go out and sign someone else's Cedric Benson? Any free agent RB will be a cheap signing...Chester Taylor, it will not be.

I'd lock Benson up right now to an incentive laden deal with a decent signing bonus (it's the NFL, a 5 year deal is five one year deals) and feature him. Keep Watson and/or Dorsey as the third down back.

The only other viable option is drafting Beanie or Moreno. They will not go out and sign a credible FA back.
    Last edited by guttle11; 12-21-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    But how much of that can be fixed with better line play? Perry had a low YPC amount also, and Rudi's was bad last year.

How much of that is due to the runner and how much due to the line?

How the Bengals answer that will decide what they need to do.

I think Benson's decent, perhaps average, but it's tough to tell if the RB or the line needs fixed most, IMO
    Exactly. Fix the line and it doesn't matter who carries the ball. (And in a lot of cases, fix the line and it doesn't matter who throws the ball). There are very few, IMO, stud RBs who can carry a team. Adrian Peterson is really the one of the only ones on the top of my mind in the game right now. Games are won in the trenches, skill players get all the love but it all starts up front.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The Bengals haven't had "THE MAN" since Corey Dillon.

Unfortunately, they didn't think about life after Corey.

Turn Off Ads?