Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we seriously considering trading Votto?

Are we seriously considering trading Votto?

From MLB.com...

The Angels' outfield is one area where the club appears set after signing Juan Rivera to a three-year contract. They have Rivera, Torii Hunter and Vladimir Guerrero, left to right, with Gary Matthews Jr. and Reggie Willits in support.

But Ramirez, who has drawn lukewarm interest thus far on the market, still could make sense as a left fielder and designated hitter if the Angels choose to jump back into more negotiations with Boras.

A more likely free-agent target appears to be Adam Dunn, who could fit between Vladimir Guerrero and Torii Hunter in the lineup as the regular DH and part-time left fielder and first baseman. Dunn, with the power to make any park look small, has averaged 41 homers and 100 RBIs the past five seasons.

Pat Burrell is another big bat in free agency, and two White Sox veterans -- Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye -- have been mentioned as possible trade targets along with the Reds' Joey Votto

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are we seriously considering trading Votto?

I hope not.

Votto would be a bad player to trade - unless we could net 2-3 players in return.

There has been the rumored "3 way deal" with the Angels and the White Sox from Gammons - where we'd end up with Dye:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73233

But it is assumed we would have to get a MLB ready SS to even consider it.

Given that he's about the only consistent hitter currently on our roster, you have to wonder what the logic is - unless it's "Improve Dramatically at 2-3 other Positions", which means we'd have to be blown away.

Given that the majority of the FO was so worried about Votto's ability to translate to the Majors - even after his 2007 call-up - that they kept Hatteberg around for so long, you might wonder if they see his 2008 ROY runner-up and TORRID end to 2008 as the perfect time to "Sell High" on a guy they Still view as a AAAA guy in the back of their minds.
    Not that I agree with that, but it could be part of it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Sounds like just made up rumors to me. I mean never say never but I kinda doubt they'd trade Votto when Alonso still doesn't have much experience yet. If they thought Alonso was ready they could've just planned to move Votto to left and used the money they have to make a run at Furcal. But that doesn't seem likely now since Furcal is back in LA. So until there's more of a source than Gammons I think I'll take this with a grain of salt.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Peter Gammons hasn't been a reliable trade rumor source for a couple of years now. Votto has already been tagged untouchable, so I wouldn't read too much into that rumor. Walt's had too much success in the past to pull a move like this.

Peter Gammons has never been a reliable trade source.....his job is simply to keep baseball fans entertained with the "thought".

I hope not, while Jay Bruce has drawn the Larry Walker comparisions, Votto is really the guy at the plate who should be getting the Larry Walker comparisions...and walker was one darn good hitter.

When I see Votto, he doesn't remind be of Larry Walker. He reminds be of Don Mattingly. Still, a very good player.

Gammons must be getting his info from Hal McCoy. It should take a LOT more than Dye to get Votto.

If they trade Votto, I'm done with the Reds. If they trade Cueto, I'm done with the Reds.

The league has scouted and seen Votto for 1.25 seasons. They have adjusted and so has he. It wouldn't surprise me to see Joey end up being better than Bruce. Bruce has less plate discipline than Joey.

Cueto has more upside than any of our starting pitchers. And he's only 22.
    Who's on first?

OOOOH YEEEAHHHH!! CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

This time of year (or any other), believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Old Red Guard Reject

I would consider Votto only in a hypothetical situation where it netted someone like Jake Peavy. From an organizational standpoint, you have Alonzo at 1B and also there have been mentions of moving EE there. Thus, Votto is expendable from a positional standpoint. However, I disagree with the notions of him being "AAAA" or less than above average. I would compare his game to Sean Casey during his lone "good year"
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Perhaps I have become super sensitive to big market bias in the media. Still, it seems to me that the national media almost see the small market teams as farm teams for the large market teams. The Angels need a first baseman if they don't retain Teixeira. There's one in Cincinnati. What would it take to get him? Give them Dye, that would make them happy. Clearly, there is no consideration of what WJ is doing to build a winner in Cincinnati. Are we living from hand to mouth? The very idea that the Reds would give up a Votto for Dye is insulting.

Assuming he maintains his current production, there are three possible courses for Votto's Cincinnati career. The Reds can sign him early to a longer term contract that is affordable for the Reds while providing Votto with star money without having to wait for arbitration or FA. The Reds can wait until Votto is a year away from a big payday and trade him for a boat load of prospects. The Reds can take their chances in retaining him in free agency.

In any event now is certainly not the time to pull the trigger. There are too many question marks in the remainder of the organization. At least see how Alonso progresses and how the outfield situation looks before making a decision. We have talent moving to AAA and AA this year. IMO, the situation will take two years to completely shake out. Then, the Reds will be in a good position to entertain offers two years from now. Until then, it would be insane to consider trading him.

All I have to say to WJ is at least let me see 1 year of Bruce, Votto, Alonso, and Frazier in the same lineup.(cause after you won't want to move any of them) Those 4 in 2010, are going to be the most devastating middle of the order in baseball.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I remember how high everyone was on Sean Casey including me. Look how he turned out, a serviceable big league bat but nothing special at first base. He was even better at 1B defensively then votto (who is nothing like larry walker).

If the Reds trade Bruce or Cueto I'm jumping ship for good on the franchise; but if they get something good for Votto I'd be willing to move him. I think in a few years when he's in his prime around 28 or so he'll be a dime a dozen player just like Sean Casey ended up.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Turn Off Ads?