Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld predicts Reds will sign Braden Looper

Rotoworld predicts Reds will sign Braden Looper

Braden Looper (Cardinals) - Looper's 4.94 ERA and dismal strikeout rate in his first year as a starter suggested that he'd have a hard time lasting another season in the rotation in 2008, but he was able to improve for the Cardinals, finishing 12-14 with a 4.16 ERA. That's enough to insert him into the Jason Marquis class of starters and potentially land him another three-year deal as a free agent. The top teams probably won't be after him, but clubs looking for a guy to eat innings could see considerable value in his durability. It'd be for the best if he stays in the NL.

Previous prediction: Nationals - three years, $21 million
    New prediction: Reds - three years, $21 million

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...cle=31545&pg=2

They also have the Reds in on Oliver Perez and Jon Garland. No thanks on Garland and Looper. Perez has great stuff but is inconsistent and will demand too much money. I'd rather go after a guy like Randy Wolf.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rotoworld predicts Reds will sign Braden Looper

I'd rather go with a Owings, Thompson, Ramirez, Bailey rotation battle committee than shell money out on the starting rotation when we have much greater needs... If Weathers and Affeldt are gone we need at least 2 bullpen guys and obviously we need some offense...
    Last edited by jesusfan; 11-12-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Looper to the bullpen?

$7MM a year? Pass.
    Go BLUE!!!

Retired

For $7 million I think I'd have to say..................NO.

I think he would be worth $7M to a lot of teams, but not this team. He is basically an older Kyle Lohse, a guy who can be a decent innings eater in the right environment...

Looper would be a good pickup.

Reds need pitchers with ground ball tendencies. Looper has a good ground ball rate. I'd prefer Lowe, but at the right price, Looper would fill out this rotation nicely for the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Looper would be a good pickup.

Reds need pitchers with ground ball tendencies. Looper has a good ground ball rate. I'd prefer Lowe, but at the right price, Looper would fill out this rotation nicely for the next couple of years.
    I agree, as long as trading some of our pitching prospects to fill our other holes is part of your plan...

rotoworld is crazy. I don't see it in any way shape or form UNLESS Walt intends to trade one of Arroyo, Harang or a member of the "5th Element" i.e. Ramirez or Owings. That's taking him at his word that Cueto and Volquez are absolutely off limits. Even then 21 mill for three years of Looper is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    rotoworld is crazy. I don't see it in any way shape or form UNLESS Walt intends to trade one of Arroyo, Harang or a member of the "5th Element" i.e. Ramirez or Owings. That's taking him at his word that Cueto and Volquez are absolutely off limits. Even then 21 mill for three years of Looper is too much.

You're a lot more comfortable with the Reds' big four starters than I am. Harang, Arroyo, and Cueto threw a ton of home runs last year. Only Volquez is a true fit for GABP and the others have questions right now.

We saw this year what happens when you lack pitching depth. Guys like Belisle and Fogg throw all those innings at a 7 plus ERA rate.

Having another vet starter who throws ground balls, keeping Ramirez and Owings in the pen or perhaps one at AAA, gives you the ability to withstand injury or off-years.

Folks say that Harang's 2008 was a fluke, that Cueto will get a lot better immediately, that Arroyo finally is showing consistency, maybe Owings will be good, maybe Ramirez is for real, all hopeful thoughts.

I'd like another starter, one who fits the ballpark well.

Looper makes very little sense. With Ramirez, Thompson, Owings and Maloney, we certainly don't need a back of the rotation starter (especially at that price) and that's way more money than we'd give anybody to be a middle reliever.

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsensical -- along the lines of just assuming we still need starting pitching and then giving us Looper because he's in our price range.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You're a lot more comfortable with the Reds' big four starters than I am. Harang, Arroyo, and Cueto threw a ton of home runs last year. Only Volquez is a true fit for GABP and the others have questions right now.

We saw this year what happens when you lack pitching depth. Guys like Belisle and Fogg throw all those innings at a 7 plus ERA rate.

Having another vet starter who throws ground balls, keeping Ramirez and Owings in the pen or perhaps one at AAA, gives you the ability to withstand injury or off-years.

Folks say that Harang's 2008 was a fluke, that Cueto will get a lot better immediately, that Arroyo finally is showing consistency, maybe Owings will be good, maybe Ramirez is for real, all hopeful thoughts.

I'd like another starter, one who fits the ballpark well.
    Looper allowed 25 homers in 199 IP last season in a pitchers park. Plus he had a poor strikeout rate (4.88 K/9).

Kc, I guess it's more that I'm uncomfortable with Looper repeating a season like his 2008. I think it represented a ceiling in his abilities and his floor is "Fogg-y".

I agree.....all this talk about RH hitters is just bunk IMHO. The Reds need one more strong starting pitcher. Owings and Masset are good as long as their title includes the word "backup" but not as one counted on for 210 innings.

I would have no problem sarting Opening Day with:

Dickerson - CF
    Keppinger - SS
    Bruce - RF
    Encarnacion - 3B
    Votto - 1B
    Phillips - 2B
    Hanigan - C
    Hairston - LF

Have the rotation be:

Volquez
    Derrick Lowe
    Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo

And sign me up for MLB EI......I will be set!

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I agree.....all this talk about RH hitters is just bunk IMHO. The Reds need one more strong starting pitcher. Owings and Masset are good as long as their title includes the word "backup" but not as one counted on for 210 innings.

I would have no problem sarting Opening Day with:

Dickerson - CF
    Keppinger - SS
    Bruce - RF
    Encarnacion - 3B
    Votto - 1B
    Phillips - 2B
    Hanigan - C
    Hairston - LF
    The Reds are in bad shape if Jeff "fall-down range" Keppinger is the starting shortstop and Hairston is the starting left fielder.

Turn Off Ads?