Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dye and Abreu

Dye and Abreu

As we all know, the Reds are in need of offense. If they still have money to spend, and they should, where will they spend it? Let's say the Reds and Sox end up making the deal that will send Homer + prospect for Dye. Then, they decide to sign Abreu for 3 yrs/36 mil to play right field, thus moving Bruce to center. Now, I realize both of these guys will be 35 next year and may be on the decline, but adding Dye and Abreu would instantly upgrade the offense tremendously. That's a lot of money for Abreu, but the guy can still hit, knows how to get on base (.403 career OBP), and still will play a decent right field. The only question mark then becomes improving the shortstop defense. Can we live with AGon/Janish hitting in the 8th spot, as long as they can play solid D? We all know they would a black hole on offense, but their defense may be worth it (especially Janish). Dickerson and Hopper become the 4th and 5th outfielders, Keppinger becomes the top utility guy in the infield or shares starts with AGon. So the lineup could look like this:

Phillips - 2B
    Votto - 1B
    Abreu - RF
    Dye - LF
    Bruce - CF
    EdE - 3B
    Hernandez - C
    AGon/Kepp - SS

The only problem is the leadoff, and Phillips isn't really an option there, but it's either he or Bruce. When Keppinger or Dickerson start, either one could be inserted there. Abreu would be a big upgrade over Junior from last year, while Dye could come close to equalling Dunn's output. (I'd rather have Dunn out there with his career .900 OPS, but we all know that isn't likely to happen).

So, would these moves make the Reds contenders in 2009? I'm not sure, but it would definitely make things interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Dye and Abreu

It would definitely make the Reds contenders; unfortunately they don't have $24 million to spend.

That would only work out if we got rid of Phillips..and it still might cost too much. That is a nasty lineup though.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    It would definitely make the Reds contenders; unfortunately they don't have $24 million to spend.
    You're right, the Reds would have to demand money back from the Sox to help with Dye's salary. It all depends on who the other prospect would be along with Homer. If it's a pretty good prospect, the Reds would have to demand the Sox to cover a good portion of his salary.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I think the second prospect would have to be pretty good just to make that Dye deal happen with no money exchanged. I can't imagine the Sox would fork over the kind of money necessary to be able to fit the trade into an $80 million payroll unless there were a major leaguer included.

Lineup would improve, but the defense in the OF would be horrid.

Dusty is the manager of this team meaning he would probably just bench Bruce because dusty thinks he is fragile like every other young player.

Conventional wisdom among the Reds FO seems to be that they need a right handed bopper between Bruce and Votto. Dunn OPS'd 782 against lhp. With Dunn no longer an option, it seems to me the task is to find someone who can improve on that against lefties without turning into Phillips or EE against righties.

Lots of talk about Burrell or Dye as the best apparent available options. But if you compare Burrell and Dye and look at their splits, Abreu should be in the conversation as well.

Abreu OPS'd 833 against rhp and 865 against lhp. Abreu's OBP was 370 or 372 - didn't matter who he was facing. Oddly enough he slugged a little lower against rhp. I love the OBP. He may be my first choice because I imagine his D to be better than Burrell.

Burrell OPS'd 843 against righties and 951 against lefties. Good second choice. Finally a right handed hitter who can do some damage against rhp. (In case you were wondering - EE OPS'd 766 and BP only 676 against righties.)

Lastly, Dye OPS'd 872 against righties and 917 against lefties. But the age, the fact he would cost prospects, and the lower OBP (340 and 354) makes him the least attractive option.

C'mon Walt - Abreu or Burrell, whichever comes cheapest for the shortest term contract. Make September interesting again!!!

I think they COULD do that, except no way in Hades they put Bruce in CF. They are looking for a Defensive/Speedy/Lead-off type in CF - not necessary all, but probably in that order...

I would say get an Abreu or Burrell (my first choice), AND then go get a Baldelli to play 100 games (+/- 20/25) in CF split duties with Dickerson. Then you've got a pretty decent stick in each position, and good D in 2 of 3 (LF, which arguably nobody should really care about anyways, esp. if the dude is a HUGE RC'd guy).

That would almost be a pretty darn effective OPS OF to get us over the hump Offensively without really taking a huge step backwards in D.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post

Are we not saving around 28 million this year by not having Dunn and Griffey?

I am an Abreu fan. That would be an awesome sign up if it were to happen.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/abreubo01.shtml
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

We have about 10 million to spend right now.

Where has the other money gone?

Can someone give a rundown of the salary increases and how that ate up Dunn and Griffey's money? Hernandez was a net increase of 2 million if I remember right. Rhodes I don't think was an increase over Affeldt was he?

How much more do Cordero, Arroyo, Harang get this year?

Cordero gets bumped up 3.5 million
    Harang gets bumped up 4.25 milliion
    Arroyo gets bumped up 5.5 million!
    BPhil gets bumped up 2 million
    AGone gets bumped up .75 million
    The Reds owe .975 million in buyouts to Stanton, Castro and Ross

It looks like BPhil gets another quarter million next year for winning the 2008 gold glove award, so, make that 2.25 million.

Looking at Cot's Baseball Contracts website, after arbitration raises to EdE and Weathers, the Reds will have 60 million invested for 2009 in 10 players.

Turn Off Ads?