Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tex a Yank?

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Tex a Yank?

8 years, more than 170 mil. Good grief, the Yankees luxury tax will top 80% of the league's payroll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141
    No one expects the butterfly

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Tex a Yank?

And the gap grows wider and wider.....sickening
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ira/index.html

CNNSI is reporting 8 years 180 million. Yes, baseball needs no salary cap. It seems pretty obvious to me. Yankees have a "down' year - only winning 89 games. And so they go out and get Sabathia, Burnett and Texeira. All the while the Reds decide among Taveras, Hairston, Baldelli and the like. That's a nice even playing field.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-23-2008 at 03:48 PM.

What will CC, AJ, and Tex get the Yankee's payroll to next season, $250 mil?

jeez...this just ruined my day
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Anyone else tired of hearing about Texeira??? He's a good player but he ain't worth all the limelight and money he is getting. However, I would love it if the Yanks don't go to the playoffs next year with that huge payroll. It would just be hilarious.

imagine if the Reds could add 3 all-star caliber players in an offseason......

I laugh when the Yanks do stupid stuff like this. All of those guys will not be worth the money in three years, and the Yankees are still on the hook for over 20 million per for the next five years. They do it every year, and haven't won a WS in 8 years now. I highly doubt it works this year either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post
    I laugh when the Yanks do stupid stuff like this. All of those guys will not be worth the money in three years, and the Yankees are still on the hook for over 20 million per for the next five years. They do it every year, and haven't won a WS in 8 years now. I highly doubt it works this year either.
    They better hope it does in the next two or three years, otherwise it's Jason Giambi all over again.

If somehow they sign Manny too, this is a video game lineup.

CF - Damon
    SS - Jeter
    1B - Teixiera
    3B - Pay-Rod
    DH - ManRam
    LF - Matsui
    C - Hip Hip Jorge
    RF - Nady
    2B - Cano

Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Hughes, Joba with the Sandman on the back end.

Four highest-paid players in baseball now in the Bronx. They'll probably sign Burrell as a RH bat off the bench.
    Last edited by ThatPitchIsDunn; 12-23-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Fixed that. The Yankees should put Chamberlain back in the 8th; I forgot he was still starting.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

They are buying a World Series. I would be shocked if they win fewer than 100 games in 09

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post
    Since 1996 the Yankees are a whopping 422 games over .500. Their 1262 wins and 840 losses work out to an astounding .600 winning percentage. They have averaged 97 wins a season. They have made the playoffs 12 out of 13 times. They have hung 4 WS banners. They have a legitimate shot to win it all every single year. I would say it's working pretty well for them.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-23-2008 at 04:13 PM.

I'm confused now. What do they do with Nick at Nite? Platooning with Nady and Matsui in right and left?

I actually think their rotation is still pretty weak. Burnett isn't consistant enough to warrant that kind of money, Hughes is still as much of an unknown as Bailey, and this will be Joba's 1st full season starting. Nah, I think the Red Sox and Rays both are better teams even after the half of billion they just laid out.

I will say that I admire the fact that the Yankees actually spend the money they make on players instead of pocketing a large portion of the profits for themselves.......cough Bob.....cough.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Their rotation is weak for a $250 million payroll, but it's still one of the best 1-3 combos in the AL. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettite came back, either. A CC, Wang, Burnette, Pettite, Hughes/Joba rotation could be filthy.

The Yankees don't pay to win Division titles or make the playoffs they pay to win the WS......and it hasn't happened in 8 years. I agree that a big payroll does make it easier to sustain success, but it isn't necessary to win a championship (the Rays and Marlins come to mind) or even to be consistently competitive (the A's).

Turn Off Ads?