Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonifay, Squires, Quirk join Reds staff

Bonifay, Squires, Quirk join Reds staff

Bonifay, Squires, Quirk join Reds staff

By Hal McCoy | Thursday, November 13, 2008, 11:42 AM

The Cincinnati Reds are set to announce, probably late this afternoon, the addition of three top-notch front office people.

General manager Walt Jocketty confirmed this morning to The Dayton Daily News that he has hired Cam Bonifay, Mike Squires and Jamie Quirk.

They are additions and there are no substractions.

Bonifay and Squires will become special assistants to the general manager and Quirk will be a pro scout with additional duties as directed by Jocketty.

“What excites me is that we are, more and more, adding quality pelople to our staff,” said Jocketty.

Bonifay, a former general manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates, was hired by Jocketty in 2006 for the St. Louis Cardinals. Before that Bonifay worked fivle years for the Tampa Bay Rays, “Helping to put together that young team that played in the World Series,” said Jocketty. “He is an excellent baseball person.”

Quirk comes from the Colorado Rockies and Jocketty said, “He played for me when I was in Oakland and I’ve followed his career. He is a good baseball man. He’ll be a pro scout, but we’ll have him at spring training and we’ll also have him doing some field work.”

Squires was a long-time associate with Jocketty during his days with the Cardinals and is highly respected in the industry.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonifay, Squires, Quirk join Reds staff

Cam Bonifay.....top-notch front office people...

For the second time of the day, words fail me again.

I guess Hal has to stay on their good side in order to have sources, but "top-notch front office people" is rich.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post

I guess Hal has to stay on their good side in order to have sources, but "top-notch front office people" is rich.

He may have been a poor GM but that doesn't mean he can't be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Bill Bavasi used that line during his interview too....

Seriously, you're right of course. The demands of the job quickly exposes weaknesses that many times can overshadow strengths.

That said, being touted as an "excellent baseball person" has taken on a different connotation recently (either fairly or not).
    Last edited by jojo; 11-13-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Isn't Bavasi a special assistant to the GM as well?

top-notch front office people ... Cam Bonifay ...
    What an oxymoron. Oh my, is Hal kidding?

The only thing that's worse than referring to Cam Bonifay being top notch is the fact that now Bill Bavasi and Cam Bonifay will be in the same room influencing decisions in this front office. About the only thing Bonifay is useful for is burning a pile of money on garbage players (hello Pat Meares and Derek Bell). And who can forget handing Jason Kendall a cool $60 million? Cam Bonifay would likely want to lock Corey Patterson up long term.

Baseball truly is unique. I mean I have never known an industry where people can be so incredibly and patently horrible at what they do yet still be able to find organizations willing to hire them.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Isn't Bavasi a special assistant to the GM as well?
    Ya. I think it's pretty clear that if the current Reds FO ever does create a "Department of Baseball Research" it'll mostly be a baseball Siberia rather than a trusted resource.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Exactly. WayneK wasn't a great GM, but that doesn't mean he's useless.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post

it wasn't a front-office job, but IIRC Cam was a Reds cross-checker back when the Reds were assembling the best young talent in baseball

quoth Marge: "All he does is watch baseball games."

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    it wasn't a front-office job, but IIRC Cam was a Reds cross-checker back when the Reds were assembling the best young talent in baseball

quoth Marge: "All he does is watch baseball games."
    I'm reminder of Joe Nuxhall's response when Deion was traded to the reds the first time. "Well, he may be a son of a gun, but he's our sun of a gun now."

It's getting to be pretty tough to root for this organization right now. They could really use a win.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    What an oxymoron. Oh my, is Hal kidding?

The only thing that's worse than referring to Cam Bonifay being top notch is the fact that now Bill Bavasi and Cam Bonifay will be in the same room influencing decisions in this front office. About the only thing Bonifay is useful for is burning a pile of money on garbage players (hello Pat Meares and Derek Bell). And who can forget handing Jason Kendall a cool $60 million? Cam Bonifay would likely want to lock Corey Patterson up long term.

Baseball truly is unique. I mean I have never known an industry where people can be so incredibly and patently horrible at what they do yet still be able to find organizations willing to hire them.
    You don't rise to the top of baseball by being a moron. While Bonifay and Bavasi may have been poor GM's that doesn't mean they don't have a knack for talent.

I believe the article got cut off....

"also of note, Jamie Quirck will be part of the 2009 catching platoon because 'he handles pitchers well'. "
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Walt collecting GM train wrecks as assistants. Seems like he is making sure that if his replacement is within arms reach they will make him look good in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You don't rise to the top of baseball by being a moron. While Bonifay and Bavasi may have been poor GM's that doesn't mean they don't have a knack for talent.
    Actually, in baseball the opposite is true. Too often the idiots somehow rise to the top.

It wouldn't surprise me if in six months the Reds will find a way to bring Allard Baird aboard.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Actually, in baseball the opposite is true. Too often the idiots somehow rise to the top.

It wouldn't surprise me if in six months the Reds will find a way to bring Allard Baird aboard.
    You know, every year there are names that pop up into my head, be it player or front office exec, that make me shudder and think "whew! At least THEY aren't with the Reds.".

Months and weeks pass, but every year at least one of those guys becomes a Red.

It all started with Milton, and I swear to whatever deity you choose, if Allard Baird comes on board I might revoke my fanship (or at least take a long break).

Are they trying to be the worst franchise in the game? Maybe they aren't trying to win and are bad at it. Maybe they're trying to lose and are just mediocre at it.

Maybe they just need that one guy to help them get to the bottom.

It's something to think about.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?