Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jamie Dismuke no longer manager of Dragons...Benzinger takes over

Re: Jamie Dismuke no longer manager of Dragons...Benzinger takes over

I would be curious to know if there are any Billings fans here who may have talked to players and gotten an impression of the new Dayton hitting coach, Tony Jaramillo. He is, of course, the nephew of Rudy Jaramillo, who is probably the most respected hitting coach in the majors today with the Rangers. Tony has one red flag on his record in that in 2005, for unknown reasons, he resigned his hitting coach position with the Tigers' Single-A club a month into the season. Could have been a lot of reasons for that but it is highly unusual and they did not hire him back. Ronnie Ortegon, the Reds minor league hitting coordinator and the person who would be Tony Jaramillo's boss, was previously the Double-A hitting coach for the Rangers while Rudy Jaramillo was the big league hitting coach. Also, both Ortegon and Jaramillo are from Dallas, so I am sure that is the connection. Not to convey that there is anything wrong with any of that...it's all about who you know in baseball and for that matter, almost any field. Bottom line...I am a big believer in the importance of having quality coaches in the minors so this is somewhat interesting to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jamie Dismuke no longer manager of Dragons...Benzinger takes over

Benzinger excited to get back in the game
    Coaching a collegiate league team rekindled new Dragons manager's passion for baseball.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

DAYTON Todd Benzinger has not coached or managed a professional baseball team since he retired as a player in 1995, but he says he is ready to manage the Dayton Dragons.

"I had a young family, two kids, and I felt I was away from them a lot when I played," said Benzinger, a nine-year major-league first baseman who was named manager of the Cincinnati Reds' Class A farm team on Wednesday, Dec. 31.

"I became a volunteer baseball coach, then a basketball coach. I spent 20 years where baseball was the sole purpose in life. I needed a break from it."

Last summer, Benzinger managed the Cincinnati Steam of the Great Lakes collegiate league, and it rekindled an interest in becoming involved professionally again.

"Managing the Dragons is not the same as managing a summer college team," said Benzinger, who lives in West Chester Twp. and coaches the Lakota East girls basketball team. "But I hope my experience there will make me a better coach.

"I never played college baseball, but I know what managers do. This is something I understand."

Originally, Benzinger was hired by the parent Reds to be the Dragons hitting coach. Then early last week, Jamie Dismuke, who was scheduled to be the Dragons' manager, took a job as hitting coach for the Braves' Class AAA farm team in Gwinnett, Ga.

That left an opening. Reds director of development Terry Reynolds considered a short list of candidates and asked Benzinger if he would take the job. He did.

"We won the Great Lakes championship and had a No. 5 national ranking," Benzinger said about his time managing the Steam. "We did it with some Xavier players and a bunch of MAC players. They were good players."

Benzinger said he expects to keep his job coaching the Lakota East girls basketball team. He does not expect his seasons to overlap when he is due at spring training.

He has coached girls basketball 10 years, including seven at Seven Hills and two at Loveland.

He will be in charge of an entirely new staff with the Dragons, including pitching coach Rigo Beltran and hitting coach Tony Jaramillo.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?