Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Holiday Q&A with Jay Bruce

Holiday Q&A with Jay Bruce

Bruce has fond memories of Christmas
    Outfielder discusses holidays of his past and present

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Reds outfielder Jay Bruce has plenty to be grateful for during this holiday season.

Bruce, 21, will always remember this year. He made his long-anticipated Major League debut, played alongside idol Ken Griffey Jr. and adjusted to life at the top of his profession.

All of that takes a backseat to what Bruce enjoys the most about the holidays -- his family in his hometown of Beaumont, Texas.

Bruce recently discussed his holiday traditions during an interview with MLB.com.

MLB.com: Growing up, what was the biggest thing about the Bruce family Christmas?

Bruce: Oh man, Christmas morning. You get up and see what Santa brought you. That day, you get to eat with the family and have fun being a kid. You don't realize how much fun that stuff is until you don't really do it anymore. Santa doesn't bring me anything anymore.

MLB.com: When Santa was bringing you gifts, what was the best one he ever brought you?

Bruce: I've gotten a bike, a basketball goal, a shotgun. Santa was pretty good to me.

MLB.com: How many times during the 24 hour loop of a "A Christmas Story" do you think you'll be watching?

Bruce: I don't know. I would venture to say at least once.

MLB.com: Do you like giving or receiving gifts?

Bruce: Absolutely giving. It makes me feel really good to be able to make people happy and give them things they enjoy. The biggest thing for me is being with my family. It's what I'm looking forward to. Now, Christmas isn't about the gifts. It's about family and bringing everyone together.

MLB.com: Any plans this year?

Bruce: Just going back to Beaumont and hanging out with the family.

MLB.com: What's for dinner?

Bruce: It's very Thanksgiving-ish -- turkey, ham, dressing, vegetables. All the desserts. There is no starving back home, that's for sure. I'll have plenty to eat.

MLB.com: If you could put one gift under the collective Reds fans' holiday tree, what would it be?

Bruce: A World Series. You think they'd be all right with that?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Holiday Q&A with Jay Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    MLB.com: If you could put one gift under the collective Reds fans' holiday tree, what would it be?

Bruce: A World Series. You think they'd be all right with that?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Aww, you beat me to it! : I just saw this article and was coming to post it myself. It's a great read and I loved that last answer about his gift to Reds fans. I think Reds fans would LOVE to accept that gift sometime in the very near future!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Re: Holiday Q&A with Jay Bruce

There were a plethora of kids last year who asked Santa for a Reds World Series. What these kids don't know is when it comes to the Reds, Santa's more of a trickster.

Think of the plight of one such little kid who woke up excited on last year's Christmas morning and caught Santa in his family room. Santa points straight to the stockings and says "Shhhh ... a surprise this year! Take a look!"

The kid races over to the stocking stuffer and pours out its contents only to find a big box of toothpicks. The kid's confused. Toothpicks, what?

"It's an accessory to your main gift!" Santa bellows out.

The main gift?! It's got to be better than toothpicks, right Santa?

The kid looks behind the tree and then sees Dusty Baker. It's such a bad gift that it'll ruin a lifetime of Christmas mornings. Santa likes to refer to this as Shock and Awe.

It gets even worse too. Wrapped around the other three corners underneath the tree were Corey Patterson, Paul Bako, and Josh Fogg. Suddenly HO HO HO has been replaced with HA HA HA.

And to think all this kid wanted for Christmas last year was a Reds World Series.

That same kid is asking for the same thing this year, a Reds World Series, and unfortunately the Santa tracker believes Santa might have a Willy Taveras buried in that Santa Sack and ready for delivery.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?