Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sosa Trial

Sosa Trial

Anyone willing to give Sammy Sosa a one year trial he says he is in great shape?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sosa Trial

I don't really look for Sosa to have a great return, but you might as well sign him if you're the Reds, and aren't going to go after anyone that is proven with a track record. You can always hope to catch lightning in a bottle I guess, and i'd rather sign up someone thats done it before.

He did crush left handed pitching in 2007 while being pretty abysmal against righties, I would not mind Sosa as part of a platoon in LF depending on our other options.

How about Barry Bonds as the left handed portion of the platoon, haha.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'd sign him....
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm not sure about that. I don't believe he has that much left. It would have to be a minor league deal with an invite to camp; nothing guaranteed.

Please No on Sosa. He is very poor defensively and you don't know how is real age. His contract would probably be loaded with incentives for making the team but I then I would expect him to spend most of the season on the DL. I'd rather have EdE in left than Sosa with Kepp playing 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Please No on Sosa. He is very poor defensively and you don't know how is real age. His contract would probably be loaded with incentives for making the team but I then I would expect him to spend most of the season on the DL. I'd rather have EdE in left than Sosa with Kepp playing 3rd.
    Yeah guys ^

Sosa is a right handed DUNN. That has'nt played baseball in 2 years.
    Last edited by bgwilly31; 12-27-2008 at 11:17 AM.

no.

part of BBN

I would stay very far away from Sammy Sosa after this long away from the game and his decline before he left.

In his last go at it, he did have 91 rbi's in a little over 400 ab's. Also, he hit lefties to the tune of .328/.410/.613. I do not want Sammy "Baeball been vewy vewy good to me" Sosa on my team, but you can't claim that he wouldn't have any value as part of a platoon in left field with those kinda numbers against lefties. Especially parked in between Votto and Bruce against a lefty pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    In his last go at it, he did have 91 rbi's in a little over 400 ab's. Also, he hit lefties to the tune of .328/.410/.613. I do not want Sammy "Baeball been vewy vewy good to me" Sosa on my team, but you can't claim that he wouldn't have any value as part of a platoon in left field with those kinda numbers against lefties. Especially parked in between Votto and Bruce against a lefty pitcher.
    Those so so stats were two years ago away from the game. Remember that.

Your not gaurunteed to get even those so so numbers from him if you picked him up. Way too big of a risk and not enough reward. This team needs leaders veteran or not. And sosa is not a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Those so so stats were two years ago away from the game. Remember that.

Your not gaurunteed to get even those so so numbers from him if you picked him up. Way too big of a risk and not enough reward. This team needs leaders veteran or not. And sosa is not a leader.
    I am not condoning a signing of Sosa, I just wanted to point out that people cannot claim that Sosa is a waste and has nothing left, it is still up in the air as to whether you are going to get the production from 07 Sosa, or 05 Sosa.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am not condoning a signing of Sosa, I just wanted to point out that people cannot claim that Sosa is a waste and has nothing left, it is still up in the air as to whether you are going to get the production from 07 Sosa, or 05 Sosa.
    You also mentioned Sosa being platooned. While your idea might be valid, it is hard to see Dusty platooning Sosa if he was on team. Only vs lefties would require alot of bench time.

I kinda like this idea for the right price. I think with all the young hispanic guys on the team that could provide sosa with the right motivation to play well and be a leader. He's got a solid arm and to compare him to dunn is crazy.

Dusty loves former Cubs....something tells me he likes the idea

Turn Off Ads?