Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants Sign Randy Johnson

Giants Sign Randy Johnson

Giants Sign Randy Johnson By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 26 at 8:46pm CST]

The Giants have signed Randy Johnson to a one year deal, the team announced in a press release. The terms of the deal aren't yet known. Andrew Baggarly and Ken Rosenthal were right on this one.

Johnson joins fellow-Cy Young Award winners Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito in a San Francisco rotation that also includes Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Giants Sign Randy Johnson

Three lefties in the rotation.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Maybe this will free up Sanchez?

Trade EE for Sanchez, sign Wiggington. Trade Arroyo for a SS. Andrus? That frees up more money to sign Dunn. ....Or Burrell.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Maybe this will free up Sanchez?

Trade EE for Sanchez, sign Wiggington. Trade Arroyo for a SS. Andrus? That frees up more money to sign Dunn. ....Or Burrell.
    If the Giants think that signing a 45 year old Randy Johnson now makes Johnathan Sanchez dispensible, they never deserve to enjoy success in my life time. Johnson is a dinosaur and should not be counted on for anything more than a #5 starter. Sanchez, on the other hand, is our equivalent of Johnny Cueto. He is a rising star and should not be dealt for a defensively challenged third baseman.

That being said, if the Giants do call the Reds and offer Jonathan Sanchez for EdE, I do that deal in a heartbeat. However, my twist is I would not trade Arroyo and I would just plug Sanchez into the 5 hole and let him produce without the pressure of being a #4.

I really wish the Reds could make this deal, sign Wiggington and sign Burrell or Dunn and then trade minor league chips for an Andrus/Brandon Wood/Andino. This is the series of moves I would make to make the Reds interesting next year and make them a legit challenger to the Cubs for 2010.

MLB.com's Chris Haft heard from a baseball source that the deal guarantees the Big Unit $8MM in 2009 and includes performance bonuses that could reach $2.5MM and award bonuses that could reach another $2.5MM. The AP agrees.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

He should make that up with the added attendance in the games he starts.
    This may sound crazy, but with that rotation, and all the cutbacks the d- backs are making, I could see the giants having a better record in 09 than the d- backs

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Glad to see he's still gonna be part of MLB.

They were intent on finding another lefty.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He should make that up with the added attendance in the games he starts.
    This may sound crazy, but with that rotation, and all the cutbacks the d- backs are making, I could see the giants having a better record in 09 than the d- backs
    The Giants still suck, they are awful.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

With this signing does it free up Jonathan Sanchez to be traded? What would it realistically take to get him? Encarnacion +?

Andrus is an intriguing acquisition but just Arroyo is not going land him. That trade would include something like Arroyo, Thompson OR Bailey AND Burton. They want young solid MLB ready pitching. OBTW... The Giants have lots more to offer along those lines then the Reds. This would deplete our pitching staff greatly not sure it's worth it.
    Last edited by CincyRed44; 12-27-2008 at 08:49 AM.

We could have had RJ for $8 million and only a 1 year deal?

Fire Jocketty.

Would have solidified our 5th starter position without trading away prospects or major leaguers.

I'm starting to get sick of how the Reds are doing nothing.
    Who's on first?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post

Fire Jocketty.

Would have solidified our 5th starter position without trading away prospects or major leaguers.

How exactly do you reach the conclusion that the Reds could have signed Randy Johnson for $8 million? Just because he was willing to sign for that much doesn't mean he would sign for that much here.

I'm glad Jocketty didn't plunk down that much money for the fifth spot in the rotation. We still have black holes in leftfield and shortstop that need to be remedied way before we start worrying about the fifth spot of the rotation that already has two viable candidates (Rameriez and Owings).

Old Red Guard Reject

Fire Jocketty.

I'd rather take my chances with Brad Penny or Ben Sheets for similar money, give or take.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    How exactly do you reach the conclusion that the Reds could have signed Randy Johnson for $8 million? Just because he was willing to sign for that much doesn't mean he would sign for that much here.

I'm glad Jocketty didn't plunk down that much money for the fifth spot in the rotation. We still have black holes in leftfield and shortstop that need to be remedied way before we start worrying about the fifth spot of the rotation that already has two viable candidates (Rameriez and Owings).
    I agree with all your points. You never know with Johnson's age, how he will hold up and I would rather put the money in better places.

Plus he's west coast guy isnt it? We'd have to give him ridiculous money for him to come this far east. Plus Johnson hasnt exactly had the cleanest bill of health 45 with a bad back how many starts can you be certain of.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Fire Jocketty.

I agree that we should have signed Randy if given the chance, but I read on MLBTR that Johnson only even looked at offers from the West Coast.

Turn Off Ads?