Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 1015

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

  1. #601
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,271

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't know a single poster on this side of the board who thinks the Reds will contend in 2009.
    It strikes me as silly to be in favor of Willy Taveras if you're preparing for 75 wins.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #602
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    It strikes me as silly to be in favor of Willy Taveras if you're preparing for 75 wins.
    How many were in favor of Wily T--on this side of the board? I think I counted three people.

    Let's not kid ourselves, though: when the vaunted farm ain't doin' much by way of providing everyday players, GMs can do some less than desirable things to fill out a roster on the nickels and dimes left over in payroll.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 12-28-2008 at 05:46 PM.

  4. #603
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,639

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    How many were in favor of Wily T--on this side of the board? I think I counted three people.
    And your point is?

    There isn't a single logical argument to be made that ends with "...and, in conclusion, I feel Willy Taveras will be a valuable addition to the starting lineup."

    If you can find me one and back it up, I'm willing to listen. Until then, I'll take the fact that there are only 3 people in favor of Taveras on this board as a compliment to the overall baseball acumen of the posters here.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  5. #604
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And your point is?

    There isn't a single logical argument to be made that ends with "...and, in conclusion, I feel Willy Taveras will be a valuable addition to the starting lineup."

    If you can find me one and back it up, I'm willing to listen. Until then, I'll take the fact that there are only 3 people in favor of Taveras on this board as a compliment to the overall baseball acumen of the posters here.
    My point is that there's not "so many people" who don't grasp the Reds' situation, as Cyclone claimed. I think almost everyone here grasps their situation.

  6. #605
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves, though: when the vaunted farm ain't doin' much by way of providing everyday players, GMs can do some less than desirable things to fill out a roster on the nickels and dimes left over in payroll.
    Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Edwin Encarnacion (I know, but the Reds developed him), and Chris Dickerson are all homegrown. As was Adam Dunn. The Reds flipped a prospect for Phillips. Very rarely do you find a team with eight homegrown position players.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #606
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And your point is?

    There isn't a single logical argument to be made that ends with "...and, in conclusion, I feel Willy Taveras will be a valuable addition to the starting lineup."

    If you can find me one and back it up, I'm willing to listen. Until then, I'll take the fact that there are only 3 people in favor of Taveras on this board as a compliment to the overall baseball acumen of the posters here.
    IF Taveras sucks like its 2008 then he should be a bench player. as a 25th man he does add some value to the team. ie defensive sub and pinch runner.

    IF he can get his OBP up to 2007 levels then Dusty can put a bat in his hands. the idea that WT is going to get 600 ABs if he plays like he did last year is a bit odd to me. yes i know Patterson played a lot last year but part of that was due to the fact that the team was so undermanned.
    .

  8. #607
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,000

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    How many were in favor of Wily T--on this side of the board? I think I counted three people.

    Let's not kid ourselves, though: when the vaunted farm ain't doin' much by way of providing everyday players, GMs can do some less than desirable things to fill out a roster on the nickels and dimes left over in payroll.
    The base of below market and highly productive talent in the rotation and lineup would have allowed for this team to be competitive in the 09-10 window given the right set of additions -- ones which could have been made within a reasonable payroll allowance and willingness to trade possible future production for present production.

    To date, the Reds approach has been to add marginal talent and pray. If it's not going to happen in 2009-2010, then why waste your money on Tavares -- just play Dickerson or Hopper and be done with it. If you're trying to win in 2009-2010 and you know you need to improve both offensively and defensively, then how does adding Willy Taveras help? Regardless of what you're trying to accomplish in 2009, adding Taveras doesn't seem to make any sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  9. #608
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,771

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IF Taveras sucks like its 2008 then he should be a bench player. as a 25th man he does add some value to the team. ie defensive sub and pinch runner.

    IF he can get his OBP up to 2007 levels then Dusty can put a bat in his hands. the idea that WT is going to get 600 ABs if he plays like he did last year is a bit odd to me. yes i know Patterson played a lot last year but part of that was due to the fact that the team was so undermanned.
    Its odd to all of us. Its the reason for the outrage. But Walt annointed him CF and Lead-off hitter. He specifically said that two of the OF spots were filled with Bruce and Taveras and LF is still to be filled.

    So, if his awful 2008 is good enough to get him a 2 year deal where he is named the starter, how bad does he have to be to lose that spot? I think its chiseled in stone.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #609
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,271

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My point is that there's not "so many people" who don't grasp the Reds' situation, as Cyclone claimed. I think almost everyone here grasps their situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    How many were in favor of Wily T--on this side of the board? I think I counted three people.

    Let's not kid ourselves, though: when the vaunted farm ain't doin' much by way of providing everyday players, GMs can do some less than desirable things to fill out a roster on the nickels and dimes left over in payroll.
    You miscounted by 25 then.

    And FWIW, I wasn't talking about this board anyway. I was talking about this city.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  11. #610
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,333

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    How many were in favor of Wily T--on this side of the board? I think I counted three people.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73156

    28 people wanted him here. Although I do realize that number may have dropped since then because what seems like a good idea at the time sometimes seems a lot worse when it actually happens.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  12. #611
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    I wouldn't mind as much if Taveras was only being brought in to be the 5th outfielder. He could provide a little value as a defensive replacement/pinch runner/sac bunter when needed. It's the fact that he's basically already been anointed the starter and lead off man that upsets me. I just hope Jocketty has a short leash with him if/when he stinks up the place.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  13. #612
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I wouldn't mind as much if Taveras was only being brought in to be the 5th outfielder. He could provide a little value as a defensive replacement/pinch runner/sac bunter when needed. It's the fact that he's basically already been anointed the starter and lead off man that upsets me. I just hope Jocketty has a short leash with him if/when he stinks up the place.

    Its a good thing we have a manager like Dusty that we can count on to use him correctly huh?


  14. #613
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,690

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    what seems like a good idea at the time sometimes seems a lot worse when it actually happens.
    Incidents that come to mind often are prefaced with such statements as:

    If he can learn to take a walk...

    If he doesn't hit in the air...

    If he can stay healthy....

    These of course are equal to the infamous last line of many a daredevil and teenager.... Hey Guys, check this out.

  15. #614
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,345

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't know a single poster on this side of the board who thinks the Reds will contend in 2009.
    *raises hand*

    Contend, yes. Reach playoffs, no.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  16. #615
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,542

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    How many were in favor of Wily T--on this side of the board? I think I counted three people.

    Let's not kid ourselves, though: when the vaunted farm ain't doin' much by way of providing everyday players, GMs can do some less than desirable things to fill out a roster on the nickels and dimes left over in payroll.
    Frankly, as one of the three, I think some fans aren't being realistic.

    The Reds have many holes. Their essential philosophy seems to be "go young." They spent a lot of dough on the draft and international signings this year. They obviously couldn't fill their many holes with expensive players at all vacant positions.

    I can see the Reds' reluctance just to hand over centerfield to Chris Dickerson. I remember all the minor league forum discussions about he is a fourth outfielder type, has a very high strikeout rate. In fact, when Stubbs looked like a possible backup, fans were comparing him with Chris Dickerson.

    So the Reds gambled on Taveras, a guy with great speed and base running ability, who is only 27, and who started in center for two World Series teams. The challenge will be to get his OBP up.

    OBP is important, but Taveras has shown that, in a given year, he can get on base. The Reds will have to work on this with him.

    But if he gets his OBP up to about .340, even .335, he can be a very effective weapon for the Reds. I've seen his impact on games when he is going well, and it's a helpful dimension.

    I still think the Reds owe the fans one after giving up Dunn and they need to get a real good hitter in left field. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

    But this Taveras thing could work out ok. I disagree with the alarm of this thread.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25