Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This been said a couple times now, and lost in the noise.

Tavaras is a batting average driven player, now playing in a park that suppresses doubles and triples.

He's also devoid of any SLG abilities in a park built around sluggers.

He's creates outs at a rapid pace, at the front of a line-up that creates outs at a rapid pace.

Seriously. I know this thread is lengthy but how anyone can support this signing is beyond me. Hell, Redmetz had a snarky post about it somewhere a thousand posts ago. That ought to tell us something.
    Yes, this has been stated before, but I agree, it does bear repeating.

There will never be 100% agreement on this; someone will always disagree just to disagree, in the face of all reason. The last couple hundred posts have been trying to persuade the unenlightened that Taveras really does suck.

Heck, speaking of lead off hitters, the greatest one of them all (in my opinion), Rickey Henderson, is up for the HoF this year, and yes, there will be a few who will not think he deserves to be elected, and will not vote for him.

If they were able to get Taveras on the cheap, and plan on using him for platoon, back-up and filler until others are available, and bat him 7th or 8th in the lineup, then I'm ok. But that's not what Jocketty said. I love the emphasis on pitching and defense, as this team has needed that for years. This team has bashed its way to 5th place for too long now. But pitching and defense, especially pitching, are not mutually exclusive of offense- it is possible to have both.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'm hoping Taveras has a great year (well, 2 years actually). He's a Red now, and I'll be rooting for him.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    He came cheaper than Patterson according to what CTrent was told.
    So b/c he's cheaper than Patterson, but worse than Patterson that somehow makes this all a good thing?

Sorry I missed it but what is CTR saying Tavaras cost the Reds?

Is he saying that Tavaras is cheaper than the rediculous $3M that Wayne paid an unemployed piece of dreck last year or is he saying that Willie is cheaper than the $650K that JimBo signed C. Patterson for?

If the Reds spent less than $650K, I'm good with that. If CTR is useing the $3M mark as cheaper then that's a problem.

Rem

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Sorry I missed it but what is CTR saying Tavaras cost the Reds?

Is he saying that Tavaras is cheaper than the rediculous $3M that Wayne paid an unemployed piece of dreck last year or is he saying that Willie is cheaper than the $650K that JimBo signed C. Patterson for?

If the Reds spent less than $650K, I'm good with that. If CTR is useing the $3M mark as cheaper then that's a problem.

Rem
    Well, either way, 650,000 is still less than 3,000,000. If they are paying him less than a million, I will feel much better about the chances of him being benched when its apparent he sucks. I think he is probably looking at a 2 year, 5 million dollar deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Intangibles dont count around here, only calculations count, it's called, "mountain of evidence."
    Josh Fogg was right with Taveras on that team, he made 29 starts for the 2007 Rockies when they made the World Series. Sign him up! We need more winners.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, either way, 650,000 is still less than 3,000,000. If they are paying him less than a million, I will feel much better about the chances of him being benched when its apparent he sucks. I think he is probably looking at a 2 year, 5 million dollar deal though.

Yeah, I highly doubt he signed a two year deal if it was less then a mil a year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. You're right on the money (pun attended) .

I'm just worried that your 2 yr./$5M estimate is correct.

Could have had better 'D' with c. Patt for $650K. (sigh)

Rem

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

2-years, $5 million is what I'm thinking too. Hopefully it's a bit less than that, but it won't be much less.

CTrent was definitely talking about what the Reds (over)paid for Patterson last season, not what the Nats paid for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This been said a couple times now, and lost in the noise:

Tavaras is a batting average driven player, now playing in a park that suppresses doubles and triples.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this point yet. The few doubles and triples he's gotten were surely helped by a cavernous Coors field. Extra space ahead of and between OF. Taveras doesn't hit the ball far enough in the air for GABP to be a help for HR and with much less ground to cover, that's just one more strike against him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this point yet. The few doubles and triples he's gotten were surely helped by a cavernous Coors field. Extra space ahead of and between OF. Taveras doesn't hit the ball far enough in the air for GABP to be a help for HR and with much less ground to cover, that's just one more strike against him.
    Taveras is just a clone of Norris Hopper.

So, everyone is pretty happy with the Taveras signing, huh?

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    So, everyone is pretty happy with the Taveras signing, huh?
    Yeah, it went over like a turd in the punchbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I brought it up in one of the earlier Tavarez threads, if he can't hit the ball far enough to leg out some extra doubles and triples in Coors, where the heck could he?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

WOW how about we give the guy a chance first before you trash him like Corey Patterson.As of right now I would rather have Willy Taveras on our team than Corey Patterson.You guys are jumping to conclusions way to fast and he has'nt even gotten a chance.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?