Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I agree with you that we need to address SS, but you say that like stud SS's grow on trees.
    No, but others have mentioned players that fit. Aybar, Andino (not a stud, but better than Janish) I think there is a player from the Ranger org as well. Now we don't KNOW Walt hasn't had discussions with these teams. Be nice to hear something though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Two quick items:

1) This post gets us one closer to that magical 1,000 post mark so I can finally put this thread out of its misery.

2) The next person to incorrectly use the term "differential" gets hit with the permaban stick. (Okay, not really. But it's a major pet peave of mine.) When subtracting, the resultant is known as a difference. A differential implies a derivative. It's a run difference, not a run differential, even though it's universally used incorrectly. We aren't doing calculus here. </math rant>
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

2) The next person to incorrectly use the term "differential" gets hit with the permaban stick. (Okay, not really. But it's a major pet peave of mine.) When subtracting, the resultant is known as a difference. A differential implies a derivative. It's a run difference, not a run differential, even though it's universally used incorrectly. We aren't doing calculus here. </math rant>
    And I hope that the next person that misspells Cueto also gets smacked with the permaban stick.

It's Cueto, not Ceuto.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Then how did Houston make the World Series in 2005 with Taveras getting almost 600 official at bats? And that was a typical Taveras' year, not his best year.
    Above-average to good pitching, combined with Lance Berkman.

Basically, they did it in spite of Willy Taveras

Thank God that Obama hasn't connected rural Indiana to the internet yet.... it was a blissful ignorance these last few days.

Corey was a flyer, this is a bona fide "cross off the item from the list" move.

This move strikes me much the same as the Cordero one did last year-this check off of the "to do" list isn't showing a great deal of creativity. At least Cordero was good even though his signing wasn't really a good one.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Wasn't trying to make a case for Taveras at all. It is obviously quite important to get on base.

However, I think a lot of people want to use 2008 as the barometer while discounting 2007. No one looks at 2005-2006, which could be the midpoint of his talents.

Except I've posted, probably four times in this thread alone that his 2008 numbers are nearly identical to his 05-06 numbers.

So, yeah, we're looking at his 05-06 numbers.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    We aren't doing calculus here. </math rant>
    Are you sure? I thought baseball stats were rocket science; not everyone can understand these permutations, ya know!
    Last edited by Always Red; 12-29-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    sorry we're boring

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which comes back to the original issue.... why the heck was Walt going after a center fielder? There was not a need for one. He had one and a backup between Dickerson and Hopper. He needed and still needs a corner outfielder.
    Ever think that maybe they don't think Dickerson is a CF'er? I know they sure played him in LF last season after the call up for the majority of his time. I think they think that he can play BOTH positions. And I also think that they think that Taveras can only play center well...or at least better than they think Dickerson can. (I wonder if I can fit in another "think" into that post?....well, what do ya know *grin*)
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 12-29-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    And I hope that the next person that misspells Cueto also gets smacked with the permaban stick.

It's Cueto, not Ceuto.
    Yikes, let's hope we don't land Doug Mientkiewicz. (I just had to google his name...again) I still crack up at "Doug Alphabet".

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ever think that maybe they don't think Dickerson is a CF'er? I know they sure played him in LF last season after the call up for the majority of his time. I think they think that he can play BOTH positions. And I also think that they think that Taveras can only play center well...or at least better than they think Dickerson can. (I wonder if I can fit in another "think" into that post?....well, what do ya know *grin*)
    Then they don't listen to their own scouts.... or share the opinion of other teams scouts where Dickerson is said to be an above average defender in CF. While you are right that they might not think that, I just can't see why they wouldn't think that given what everyone else says about his defense, including those within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Yikes, let's hope we don't land Doug Mientkiewicz. (I just had to google his name...again) I still crack up at "Doug Alphabet".
    I prefer to call him "Doug Mxyzptlk".
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I prefer to call him "Doug Mxyzptlk".

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not necessarily. Tavaras had success in 2007. The Reds are supposedly working with him to get back to that approach. They said he changed his approach in 2008.
    Steel provided the numbers that showed it not to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Above-average to good pitching, combined with Lance Berkman.

Basically, they did it in spite of Willy Taveras
    Basically, Taveras contributed to Houston's 2005 championship with 172 base hits.

By the way, no Cincinnati Reds had that many last year. No Red was even close with the high at 156.

IMO, base hits are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Basically, Taveras contributed to Houston's 2005 championship with 172 base hits.

By the way, no Cincinnati Reds had that many last year. No Red was even close with the high at 156.

IMO, base hits are good.
    strawmen are a wonderful thing

Turn Off Ads?