Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We must either sign Abreu, trade for Nady or do something really crazy

We must either sign Abreu, trade for Nady or do something really crazy

Righty-lefty be damned, the best thing the club could do without giving up any talent is overwhelm one of the most patient hitters in baseball with a three year deal for ridiculous amounts of money. Votto is the only player slated to start with a pulse when it comes to pitch selection. Placing Abreu in the middle of the order like the Great Wall of China seperating the windmills at the top from the seives thereafter would seem to be the only chance left to build some semblence of an offense without giving up talent. Since we all know that has virtually no chance of happening as long as the Cubs and Red Sox of this world require his services, maybe plan B could restore some hope...

Xavier Nady is a very solid middle of the order hitter that would fit perfectly between Bruce and Votto. So, we are rolling bones once that is done in hopes that his performance over the last couple years is not a mirage. I still like it much better than Homer and more to the Sox for Jermaine Dye. I would give up something of value for Nady.

Other names that may be available if there is gridlock on those... How about the penny pinching Padres sending us Scott Hairston to platoon with Chris Dickerson for Josh Roenicke? That guy could do some damage in a hitter's park like GAB. Or, and 90% of you are going to kick me in the head and I would too if I wasn't the guy bringing it up, how about Andruw Jones on the last gasp of breath in his career for Homer and half Jones' salary? The Dodgers are thin at starting pitching, and Jones would seem to be the ultimate lightning in a bottle candidate if he came in the ten million dollar range. HUGE risk, but potential for HUGE reward. Maybe he is not a centerfielder anymore, but left field could be much more to his liking. The guy has routinely averaged around 75 to 100 points higher in obp than he has in batting average throuhout his entire career.

If the Reds truly have around 10 mil to spend, it is past time to get creative about what to do with this offense. The starting pitching might be there for a breakout season, and the bullpen can arguably be very solid. But, this garbage about signing Hairston to play every day and the Baldelli buzz is unacceptable for a team that needs to be bold to move up in a very competitive division. I don't think there any ideal answers, but these are a few that I have been thinking of.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 12-28-2008 at 02:27 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: We must either sign Abreu, trade for Nady or do something really crazy

I think acquiring Nady or Abreu could help, but I don't think it would overcome the damage of having Taveras leading off for most of the year. This offense is going to be a serious snooze in 2009.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Something crazy is probably the choice.

I keep dwelling on just how horrendously bad Taveras is. The prospect of having JHJ in left is just something I don't want to even think about. Next thing you know Walt will bring in Jeff Francouer.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Something crazy is probably the choice.

I keep dwelling on just how horrendously bad Taveras is. The prospect of having JHJ in left is just something I don't want to even think about. Next thing you know Walt will bring in Jeff Francouer.
    He would have been a better option than Tavares.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Man Pills

Reds have to trade some pitching and prospects for a SS and/or 3B.

Do something crazy? We just did something crazy! We apparently paid real money to Willie (bleepin') Tavaras!

I notice no one seems to want to talk about how much money we wasted here. Wait till that shoe drops! Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Rem

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/1...ocketty-t.html

The Reds have been in discussion with the New York Yankees about their extra outfielders, but no deals are close.

Nady?
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-28-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

The Reds have been in discussion with the New York Yankees about their extra outfielders, but no deals are close.

Nady?
    I will take either Nady or Swisher. I won't be picky. Both should OPS over .800 next year and the Reds need to add as many good bats to the lineup as possible.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will take either Nady or Swisher. I won't be picky. Both should OPS over .800 next year and the Reds need to add as many good bats to the lineup as possible.
    Swisher would provide the team with a badly-needed additional OBP-threat that isn't BA-driven. At this point, he makes so much sense as an acquisition that I doubt he's even on Walt's radar:

* Age-Prime (27)
    * Good OBP (career: .354)
    * Ability to take a walk (avg 91 per 162g)
    * 25+ HR power
    * Coming off a down year where he was hit-unlucky (.251 BIP) despite a consistent LD% (20.1)
    * Athletic enough to be a plus-defender in LF (+6.3 UZR per fangraphs)

An outfield of Swisher - Taveras - Bruce would actually provide the Reds a decent outfield defense and possibly enough offense from the corners to carry the dead-weight in CF. Swisher, in GABP against NL pitching, has the potential to be the 100 run bat the Reds desperately need.

The target is probably Nady, though.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 12-28-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Swisher would be an excellent acquisition, IMO. I'm not sure why Jocketty didn't jump in on him before he was traded to the Yankees. The Yanks got him for basically nothing. His bat/defense would be a great addition to this team.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Swisher would be an excellent acquisition, IMO. I'm not sure why Jocketty didn't jump in on him before he was traded to the Yankees.
    Because Jocketty had targetted Willy Taveras.

I think we all need to just go ahead and accept that the Reds have no chance of being competitive in 2009. I'm usually very optimistic; this is the first time in a long time that I had no hope going into a season.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

Nady?
    I'd settle for Nady but I'd rather have Swisher.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Reds have to trade some pitching and prospects for a SS and/or 3B.
    What pitching do we have to trade?

Last time I checked, we're still thin in that department.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    What pitching do we have to trade?

Last time I checked, we're still thin in that department.
    Arroyo for a SS ideally. There are other Arroyo-level starters out there that won't cost $12 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Arroyo for a SS ideally. There are other Arroyo-level starters out there that won't cost $12 million.
    I agree that Arroyo is trade bait. The problem is as you mentioned in your second sentance: $12M.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?