Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We must either sign Abreu, trade for Nady or do something really crazy

Re: We must either sign Abreu, trade for Nady or do something really crazy

now that the Snakes have signed Snyder I wish the Reds would have waited and tried to acquire Montero instead of bringing in Hernandez.

To this point the Reds seem to be focused on acquiring players who have a lack of ability to get on base. Nady would fit right in.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-30-2008 at 04:21 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Nady loves to hit in GABP. His lifetime numbers are .385 BA .422 OBP 1.151 OPS in 95 career at bats. I would try and pry him away from the Yankees in a heart beat as I could see him hitting 30 to 35 homeruns for the Reds in 2009. Hopefully Walt stays away from Matsui and Cabrera.

I'd take Nady for Homer in a heartbeat - then sign Baldelli (maybe Willy will just go away). Agreed - no thanks on Matsui. I thought the Skanks dealt Melky to the Brewskis?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-30-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    now that the Snakes have signed Snyder I wish the Reds would have waited and tried to acquire Montero instead of bringing in Hernandez.

To this point the Reds seem to be focused on acquiring players who have a lack of ability to get on base. Nady would fit right in.
    Even with Ramon, I have no qualms about bringing in Montero. I like Hanigan as a backup, but no problems with more young depth at a position like catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Even with Ramon, I have no qualms about bringing in Montero. I like Hanigan as a backup, but no problems with more young depth at a position like catcher.
    I wpould agree but I doubt the Reds have any interest.

I wouldn't deal Bailey for a rental. Add something else and get Swisher instead.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I wouldn't deal Bailey for a rental. Add something else and get Swisher instead.
    Bailey + for Swisher?

Not interested in Ben Grieve II.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bailey + for Swisher?

Rather have a one and done Nady?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bailey + for Swisher?

Solid OBP and plus-LF defense guaranteed plus the potential for 25-30 HRs in GABP all for the low low price of an underachieving pitching prospect in his last option year?

Where do I sign?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Nady and his career .055 IsoD would usually get a big "pass" from me, unless the price was a lot of spare minor league parts, but he's certainly a better option in RF than Dickerson or Hopper.

However, having said that, there are better options for RF than a 30 year old Xavier Nady, who just posted career best numbers in AVG, OBP, SLG plus virtually every counting stat they keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Nady and his career .055 IsoD would usually get a big "pass" from me, unless the price was a lot of spare minor league parts, but he's certainly a better option in RF than Dickerson or Hopper.

However, having said that, there are better options for RF than a 30 year old Xavier Nady, who just posted career best numbers in AVG, OBP, SLG plus virtually every counting stat they keep.
    I wouldn't mind Nady for a year. I just wouldn't trade Bailey for him. Maloney, Lecure or somebody like that? OK. I'd guess the Yanks would rather have a reliever. Weathers for Swisher or Nady. It keeps the payroll in line and the Reds have lots of replacements for Weathers.

I keep shopping for even better. I don't think much of either Nady or Swisher.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I wouldn't mind Nady for a year. I just wouldn't trade Bailey for him. Maloney, Lecure or somebody like that? OK. I'd guess the Yanks would rather have a reliever. Weathers for Swisher or Nady. It keeps the payroll in line and the Reds have lots of replacements for Weathers.
    agree.

Nady is a good RH bat in his prime. Plays good defense. Can play 1B/LF/RF.
    Would be nice for one year while we wait for Dorn, Alonso, Frazier,etc.

I still like Wiggington. 20+ homers. crushes LHP. can play 3B, LF, 1B or even 2B in a pinch.

Code:
    YEAR	    NAME	  AGE   PA     EqA    OBP   SLG   OUTR	    VORP    RAR	   RAP
    2008 (NYY)  Xavier Nady	  29    247   .270   .320  .474	 0.67206     6.8   10.5   -2.0
    2008 (PIT)  Xavier Nady	  29    360   .318   .383  .535	 0.61667    30.7   35.0   18.5
    2007	    Xavier Nady	  28    470   .271   .330  .476	 0.65957    15.9   20.5	  -0.3
    2006 (PIT)  Xavier Nady	  27    220   .258   .352  .409	 0.63636     3.0    6.1	  -4.6
    2006 (NYM)  Xavier Nady	  27    292   .272   .326  .487	 0.66096     9.6   13.1	    .7
    Not my first choice, but if he can be had for a package of lesser prospects he wouldn't be the absolute worst choice in the world. I'd prefer Big Wiggy, but that's mostly because he has far greater nick-name potential.

From mlbtraderumors.com:

According to ESPN's Buster Olney:

Keep hearing this: Players like Jason Giambi and Bobby Abreu might be forced, by circumstance, to settle for one-year offers.
    I'd look at both of them if it is true we could get either on a 1 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I'd look at both of them if it is true we could get either on a 1 year deal.
    It's why I'm not totally panicked about the LF situation.

Walt is being coy -- and waiting the market out might be the right move this year, especially with the mid-tier bats.

Not jumping all over Juan Rivera was undoubtedly the right move because better players will be signed for more reasonable deals.

Turn Off Ads?