Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nady or Swisher?

Reds1990

Nady or Swisher?

With the Mark Teixeira signing with the Yankees it is rumored that they have a surplus of outfielders and that they may be shopping one of them. Depending on what we'd have to give up what would you give and who would you want? Nady or Swisher. I like Swisher, I think he's a switch hitter, can play all three outfield positions and first base. He's from Ohio and played at Ohio State. Not that I'd mind Nady but would prefer Swisher. They are both under contract and each made around 3.5 to 3.6 million. Thoughts anyone?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nady or Swisher?

I like Swisher as well, but would they really be looking to move him after just aquireing him?

Well, I would rather have Swisher because of his career norms and the fact that he was ridiculously unlucky last year.

Xavier Nady .374 wOBA in 2008, .342 wOBA career, .335 OBP career
    Nick Swisher .325 wOBA in 2008, .347 wOBA career, .354 OBP career

These were the UZR statistics from last year, and even though it is a small sample, I would say that Swisher is a superior hitter and fielder, and he is a switch hitter for whatever value that actually provides.

Xavier Nady LF (-1.2) CF ( -41.0) RF (0.5)
    Nick Swisher LF ( 6.3 ) CF ( -10.3 ) RF ( 14.2 )

I got the numbers from here and the career OBP from baseball reference
    http://advancedfantasybaseball.blogs...s-yankees.html

Id rather have Swisher for sure.

Old Red Guard Reject

Either are better than Norris Hopper.

I prefer Swisher myself since as mentioned he did go to Ohio State and is from Parkersburg WV and he had a "buy low" season last year. He also is a switch hitter. Just my .02.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Swisher? Really?

Why are so many reds fans obsessed with having a sub-.250 hitter manning LF everyday?

We already got rid of that problem. Why welcome it back?
    Last edited by Blood Red Path; 12-28-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling error

Blood Red Path...Dusty? Is that you? No more 'base-cloggers' for sure...

I'm not asking for a low OBP guy, just a guy a who will swing at a 3-2 pitch now and then, and maybe get a respectable number of HITS.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Path View Post
    Swisher? Really?

Why are so many reds fans obsessed with having a sub-.250 hitter manning LF everyday?

We already got rid of that problem. Why welcome it back?
    Well, when that sub .250 hitter is the teams best player because he makes less outs than anyone else (aka a higher OBP), hits more homeruns, has one of the best wOBAs in the majors at .392, and last year was a better baserunner than Brandon Phillips (according to the bill james handbook, which you probably take issue with looking at your sig) It would probably be a great thing to welcome it back. Unfortunately, Swisher is no where near the hitter that Adam Dunn is. Swisher is easily an uprgrade in left defensively and will most likely bounce back from last year and will most likely fill in the void left by Dunn a lot better than guys like Rocco Baldelli and chris dickerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    Well, when that sub .250 hitter is the teams best player because he makes less outs than anyone else (aka a higher OBP), hits more homeruns, has one of the best wOBAs in the majors at .392, and last year was a better baserunner than Brandon Phillips (according to the bill james handbook, which you probably take issue with looking at your sig) It would probably be a great thing to welcome it back. Unfortunately, Swisher is no where near the hitter that Adam Dunn is. Swisher is easily an uprgrade in left defensively and will most likely bounce back from last year and will most likely fill in the void left by Dunn a lot better than guys like Rocco Baldelli and chris dickerson.
    I agree with most of what you said, my only problem with Dunn was that he looked at too many 3-2 pitches, causing him to walk alot, yes, but also forcing too many strikeouts and taking away chances for more hits. No guy with that much power should be watching 3-2 pitches sail harmlessly over the middle of the plate. Swisher has the same ineptitude for recording Hits, while not providing the power advantages of a Adam Dunn... therefore we would be keeping the same problem without reaping any of the benefits that dunn occasionally provided.

Swisher is probably going to take less to get and is better than Nady imo :o

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    Swisher is easily an uprgrade in left defensively and will most likely bounce back from last year and will most likely fill in the void left by Dunn a lot better than guys like Rocco Baldelli and chris dickerson.
    I am not asking for those guys to be the answer to the LF-dilemma, give me Dye, Nady, Abreu, etc. or more optimistically, give me Ethier or Kemp after one of those guys likely becomes expendable under the scenario that i laid out in the Manny thread.

Career OPS+
    Swisher 112 (highest 127)
    Nady 108 (128)
    Dye 112 (151)
    Abreu 133 (151)

out of those 4 guys Id probably take Swisher although Abreu wouldnt be bad but pricetag and age is meh
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 12-29-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Id like to see someone with a bit of an average in the middle of the order also but I'm not sure its really going to be possible. Of course we will split lefties since thats just how its done in the dusty leagues.

In all seriousness though, Nady probably isn't a bad fit if this is his last arbitration year; I don't know if that is the case. Swisher is signed through 2011 to a pretty lucrative deal. So, if we didn't have to give up much of a prospect for Nady, he wouldn't be a bad fit for the Reds. If Burrell came down to 2 years 15-20 mil though, that's pretty tempting. Abreu is not coming to the Reds and we shouldn't be willing to give up Bailey for Dye, who is no better than Nady at this point in his career anyway.

That's my 2 cents.

Turn Off Ads?