Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Mike Brown, go after Savage

  1. #16
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    lol at the idea of the Bengals hiring scouts. That's less likely than hiring a GM I think. I mean they have all they need with the couple they have now, why bring in more?
    If I had my choice...

    If the Dolphins sale goes through and Parcells is allowed out of his contract, I would throw a boatload of money Parcells way and give him absolute total control of the franchise.

    Let Marvin go and bring in your own guy, you've got it.

    Control of the draft, consider it done.

    That being said, I am not Mike Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,643

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    I don't see why the Bengals need to do anything, they finished 4-3-1, they are obviously on the road to being "competitive"

    Stay the course
    Go Gators!

  4. #18
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't see why the Bengals need to do anything, they finished 4-3-1, they are obviously on the road to being "competitive"

    Stay the course
    "Stay on target. . ."

    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    752

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

    The guy knows how to find players in the draft, and we DESPERATELY need that.

    But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM
    If we can use injuries, a killer schedule and uncertainty at QB as as excuses for a poor season, why should we expect SoP to hire a general manager. The Bengals led the league in players on IR and opposition winning percentage.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    lawrenceburg,ky
    Posts
    14

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    i would like to see the bengals go after new england's general manager. but, it will never happen. mike brown will never do that. he will continue to run the bengals and, they will continue to win 3-5 games per year. until mike brown step's down or, step's aside or, whatever he has to do. the bengals will not win. i would like very much to see the bengals start winning but, as long as mike brown is running the team. it will never happen

  7. #21
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,367

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    If we can use injuries, a killer schedule and uncertainty at QB as as excuses for a poor season, why should we expect SoP to hire a general manager. The Bengals led the league in players on IR and opposition winning percentage.
    All I'm saying is, Phil Savage enhanced the talent level in Cleveland during his tenure. That job is MUCH more attractive now, after his departure, than it was four years ago after Butch David was done destroying it. He also did a fantastic job in Baltimore.

    It's really a moot point, I don't see the Bengals getting a GM soon. All I said was I would like to see it happen. I know that the Browns had a horrible season, but I like Savage.

  8. #22
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,345

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    As much as I normally see glass half empty with regards to the Bengals, I must say that I can see them making a huge turn around in 2009.

    Not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis, but continuity, an easier schedule, healthy players, and luck may make it a Dolphin-like turnaround.

    Serriusly.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    752

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    All I'm saying is, Phil Savage enhanced the talent level in Cleveland during his tenure. That job is MUCH more attractive now, after his departure, than it was four years ago after Butch David was done destroying it. He also did a fantastic job in Baltimore.

    It's really a moot point, I don't see the Bengals getting a GM soon. All I said was I would like to see it happen. I know that the Browns had a horrible season, but I like Savage.
    I know.It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Savage had a pretty hard year in Cleveland. The Winslow incident and the profane letter to a fan. Savage, or anyone else for the matter, would have their competitive spirit ripped right out working 24/7 with the Bengals front office.

    Couldn't you see a GM presenting a draft action plan focusing on the offensive and defensive lines and having SoP say, "Hmm, let's take Beanie Wells at 6 if he's still on the board."
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  10. #24
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,367

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I know.It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Savage had a pretty hard year in Cleveland. The Winslow incident and the profane letter to a fan. Savage, or anyone else for the matter, would have their competitive spirit ripped right out working 24/7 with the Bengals front office.

    Couldn't you see a GM presenting a draft action plan focusing on the offensive and defensive lines and having SoP say, "Hmm, let's take Beanie Wells at 6 if he's still on the board."
    I could see that scenario playing out. That's why we'll never be able to land a top front office type, unfortunately

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio
    Posts
    43

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Savage wants too much control for Mike Brown to give up so it wouldn't work... I coud see it last year regarding Chris Henry...

    Savage: let Chris Henry go somewhere else

    MB: No, I'm bringing him in...

    S: You mean Chris "Don't You Know Who I Am" Henry? He's had one too many chances!

    MB: It's done, I'm bringing him in

    S: I'm outta here...

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Topsail, NC
    Posts
    369

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

    The guy knows how to find players in the draft, and we DESPERATELY need that.

    But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM
    Kellen Winslow was in Cleveland before Phil Savage. Savage made some good moves (Shaun Rogers, Joe Thomas, BQ), but most moves never worked out. Savage was the REASON a lot of people were ticked off in Cleveland. It his way or the highway and usually, his way isn't that good. Take him if you want him...
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

  13. #27
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    As much as I normally see glass half empty with regards to the Bengals, I must say that I can see them making a huge turn around in 2009.

    Not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis, but continuity, an easier schedule, healthy players, and luck may make it a Dolphin-like turnaround.

    Serriusly.
    I absolutely agree. Health being the # 1 issue standing in the way. If we are relatively healthy and completely healthy with regards to certain critical positions (I.E. Carson) then I am getting more and more optimistic. Depending of course on how how the offseason goes.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #28
    Member redsfan1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    What if the Bengals went after Michael Savage??.....

  15. #29
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    What if the Bengals went after Michael Savage??.....
    I think Fred Savage is just as likely as any other Savage for GM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

    From Mike Brown's perspective, hiring a GM is a PR move.

    He'll look at it this way:

    If I spend X amount of dollars on a GM, what kind of profit will I gain from that?


    In other words, Mikey's not getting a GM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25