Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I just read the Reds press release and no where does it say he's going to get all the at bats in CF, he's just added to the mix, if he gets 700 at bats Im right there with you stat guys.
    I don't know, seems pretty clear cut to me

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release View Post

"Willy Taveras fills two significant needs for our ball club, a speed base stealing threat at the top of the order and superior defense in center field," said Jockettty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds already have a guy who can do what Tavaras can do. His name is Norris Hopper. For the record, I think Hopper is a AAA player or last man on the bench. Signing Tavaras doesn't add anything. It simply pushes an interchangeable guy off the roster, costs money and locks us into whatever ABs Dusty will waste on the guy.

Corey Patterson was a superior defender, had more power, had similar speed and on base ability. If you thought last year was bad, wait until you get a load of the next two years with Taveras out there. Here is hoping that Taveras can replicate 2007, but don't hold your breath.

This does solve the LH bench bat problem. It appears that Mr. Dickerson will be filling that role.

The only way to recover from this would be to sign Manny for LF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I just read the Reds press release and no where does it say he's going to get all the at bats in CF, he's just added to the mix, if he gets 700 at bats Im right there with you stat guys.
    Added to the mix? Here's what Jocketty said:

"Willy Taveras fills two significant needs for our ball club, a speed base stealing threat at the top of the order and superior defense in center field," said Jockettty.

That's not what you say when you add a 4th or 5th OF or utility type. That's what you say when you've just brought in a guy you want as a starting position player. We don't even have to read between the lines in the slightest to get that from the press release.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I wish they could have at least waited until February 2nd to make this signing.

That would have been appropriate.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Bout Time Walt!

You made us wait long enough....

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I wish they could have at least waited until February 2nd to make this signing.

That would have been appropriate.
    More appropriate would have been April 1st.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    More appropriate would have been April 1st.
    No, that would have been cruel, because the next day, he'd still be leading off.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

What a stupid, stupid move. This completely dampens my optimism for the 2009 season. Chris Dickerson is much better than Taveras. I've lost faith in Jocketty.

Remember when Krivsky was bludgeoned for signing Patterson? Well, this is much worse than the Patterson signing. At least Patterson could play defense and hit an occasional homer.

I don't see the Reds signing a LF now. Dickerson isn't the bat off the bench, he's the LF.

The Reds replaced Adam Dunn with Chris Dickerson.

The Reds replaced Corey Patterson with Willy Taveras.

and got weaker at BOTH positions.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    When you're going to give 650-700 PA's (x2 years) to a stiff like Willy T, yeah, it's a big deal.
    That's a pretty big assumption. Assuming things causes panic.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No, that would have been cruel, because the next day, he'd still be leading off.
    True, but at least I could have spent some time legitimately thinking that it might just be a bad joke.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    That's a pretty big assumption. Assuming things causes panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release View Post

Let's be generous and say Tavares replaces Freel. Who here would be happy if Walt came out and said "With Ryan Freel, we think we've found the answer to our CF and leadoff problem." Yeah, I didn't think so. Then you consider that offensively, Tavares is no Freel...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

well, it wasn't a very exciting move. Expected and kinda boring and I personally am not really excited at the prospect of Tavares roaming CF(and less excited to read about him here daily).

I will say though that Krusty was on to something when talking about talent evaluation....'ole Walt has proven himself to be a winner in the past and since I've never actually built a winner(save my 1999 yahoo fantasy championship...yea baby!)I'm gonna give the 'ole dude the benefit of the doubt here and assume he's smarter than me and has some sort of plan...a method to his madness if you will.

I WAS kinda hoping that Hairston was coming back(though I doubt if he can live up to the bar he set for himself last season) but I'm guessing that would make this deal pointless....unless of course AGon has had his knee surgically removed and they're planning a SS platoon.

What? So Hatchers outs didnt count? Youre calling those guys great, they were very good but I dont see any HOFs in that group other than Larkin, ED couldnt stay healthy or wouldve maybe made HOF, please dont discount Hatchers outs because theyre already in the books my friend.
    Myers, Dibble, and Charlton.

Point me to those three on the current reds roster.

Turn Off Ads?