Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 621

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

  1. #151
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Hey, at least we bought low on this guy. If 2008 was an aberration, I'm OK with it; any of his other season totals would be just fine with me. We needed outfielders; we got a career .280 hitter with plus-plus speed and didn't give up a player to get him. I'm with Krusty; I don't see any reason for the multi-page crying jag here.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    I just don't get it. How do you buid a perennial powerhouse that is the St. Louis Cardinals, and then decide that Willy Taveras is a good signing?? It really doesn't add up.

  4. #153
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,283

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    2007 was the aberrration. 2008 was his career norm. All 2008 had was a gaudy SB total.

    I loathe the Willy Taveras signing. ©
    Suck it up cupcake.

  5. #154
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Just a stupid move. Dickerson could have provided better defense and offense at a cheaper price. The fact that it's a two year deal makes it even worse.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #155
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,145

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Hey, at least we bought low on this guy. If 2008 was an aberration, I'm OK with it; any of his other season totals would be just fine with me. We needed outfielders; we got a career .280 hitter with plus-plus speed and didn't give up a player to get him. I'm with Krusty; I don't see any reason for the multi-page crying jag here.


    How about if I can show that 08 was just Willy returning to his norm?

    Let me use a slightly different number, RC per 100 PA.

    05 11.01 (66.06 per 600 pa)
    06 11.11 (66.66 per 600 pa)
    07 14.09 (84.54 per 600 pa)
    08 10.54 (63.24 per 600 PA)
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  7. #156
    Public Enemy #1 Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I just don't get it. How do you buid a perennial powerhouse that is the St. Louis Cardinals, and then decide that Willy Taveras is a good signing?? It really doesn't add up.
    It's an inside job, Jocketty's still on the Cardinals payroll to take the Reds down from within.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  8. #157
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Jocketty said the Reds remain in pursuit of a left fielder, “And we’re still trying to sign Jerry Hairston Jr. and he can play some out there in left.”

    There was a story this week that Sammy Sosa says he wants to play major-league baseball this year and when Jocketty was kiddingly asked if the Reds were interested in Sosa, he said, “Don’t think so. And I don’t think (manager) Dusty Baker wants him.”

    http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  9. #158
    Public Enemy #1 Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    “And we’re still trying to sign Jerry Hairston Jr. and he can play some out there in left.”
    ........



    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  10. #159
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It's an inside job, Jocketty's still on the Cardinals payroll to take the Reds down from within.
    It all comes together...

  11. #160
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,244

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Hey, at least we bought low on this guy. If 2008 was an aberration, I'm OK with it; any of his other season totals would be just fine with me. We needed outfielders; we got a career .280 hitter with plus-plus speed and didn't give up a player to get him. I'm with Krusty; I don't see any reason for the multi-page crying jag here.
    That's what I think too. But since batting average doesn't mean ANYTHING...we're forced to ignore the .280 average.

    The way I look at it, his lack of power is compensated somewhat by his basestealing skills. Those singles are turned into doubles and triples after the SB's essentially. Sometimes I think people here put too much emphasis on the value of a walk. They'll put a higher value on a player who walks a lot but has a low BA than a player who walks very little but has a higher BA even if put together their OBP is identicle. *shrugs*
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  12. #161
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,728

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't see the Reds signing a LF now. Dickerson isn't the bat off the bench, he's the LF.

    The Reds replaced Adam Dunn with Chris Dickerson.

    The Reds replaced Corey Patterson with Willy Taveras.

    and got weaker at BOTH positions.
    I like Dickerson a lot. But if he's the LF with Taveras in CF, then the Reds better be saving some dough for the first pick in the 2010 draft.

    I think with this signing, the team was mathematically eliminated from play-off contention.

    Personally, I'd still sign an IF and move EdE or Votto to LF at this point. Lost year, see if there is room for everyone with potential. I think an Eric Hinske/Jeff Keppinger platoon at 3B with EdE in LF wouldn't be bad. Hinske will probably OPS around .820 or so against RHP (maybe more with the move to the NL and GABP) and while I'm on record as being an anti-Kepp guy, he does kill lefties. Hinske is no great glove, but the defense at 3B will be improved a lot when he is in there against RHP (most of the time). It'll be worse against lefties with Kepp though, but Kepp could OPS .900 against lefties. A Hinske/Kepp platoon with EdE in LF may actually add more offense than anyone the team could realistically acquire. Having Dickerson around as a plus defender for late in the game is a nice safety net for trying one of those guys out there.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #162
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,322

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    That's what I think too. But since batting average doesn't mean ANYTHING...we're forced to ignore the .280 average.

    The way I look at it, his lack of power is compensated somewhat by his basestealing skills. Those singles are turned into doubles and triples after the SB's essentially. Sometimes I think people here put too much emphasis on the value of a walk. They'll put a higher value on a player who walks a lot but has a low BA than a player who walks very little but has a higher BA even if put together their OBP is identicle. *shrugs*
    Two questions:

    1. Does Willy Taveras do a good job of avoiding Outs?

    2. Does Willy Taveras acquire a lot of bases while avoiding Outs?

    If the answer to both is "No", then you have a bad baseball player on your hands. And we know the answer to both is "No". Doesn't matter what your Batting Average is if you can't avoid outs at an acceptable clip unless you run into a luck-driven .371 BABIP.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  14. #163
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,600

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like Dickerson a lot. But if he's the LF with Taveras in CF, then the Reds better be saving some dough for the first pick in the 2010 draft.

    I think with this signing, the team was mathematically eliminated from play-off contention.

    Personally, I'd still sign an IF and move EdE or Votto to LF at this point. Lost year, see if there is room for everyone with potential. I think an Eric Hinske/Jeff Keppinger platoon at 3B with EdE in LF wouldn't be bad. Hinske will probably OPS around .820 or so against RHP (maybe more with the move to the NL and GABP) and while I'm on record as being an anti-Kepp guy, he does kill lefties. Hinske is no great glove, but the defense at 3B will be improved a lot when he is in there against RHP (most of the time). It'll be worse against lefties with Kepp though, but Kepp could OPS .900 against lefties. A Hinske/Kepp platoon with EdE in LF may actually add more offense than anyone the team could realistically acquire. Having Dickerson around as a plus defender for late in the game is a nice safety net for trying one of those guys out there.
    Eric Hinske's started 9 games at 3rd base since 2004.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  15. #164
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,145

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    They'll put a higher value on a player who walks a lot but has a low BA than a player who walks very little but has a higher BA even if put together their OBP is identicle. *shrugs*

    "Ya'll" will put a higher value on a player that doesn't walk alot but has a high BA than a player who walks more but has a lower BA even if put together their OBP is identicle. *shrugs*
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  16. #165
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,126

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Is this a freaking joke?

    How on earth can you possibly justify this? This team traded away Ryan Freel, and let Corey Patterson walk, and then went out and found the only player in the league that is a downgrade. Seriously did someone steal Walt's cellphone at a Christmas party?

    The general public caught on to how bad Corey Patterson was, perhaps the masses will again get to share their displeasure. Especially given that Dickerson is a FAR superior player.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25