Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Re: Willy Taveras

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The fact that Owings could be available on the bench means that Taveras will be taking at-bats from one more player who is more worthy.
    not so. the 2007 version of WT should get ABs. the 2008 version should not. again, this is Dusty's job to use him as a defensive sub or pinch runner if we get the 2008 version.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No. A player with a history of repeating .310/.350 I'd at least accept. Call me when Taveras does it more than once. He didn't do it more than once in a park designed for hitters.

Not some years. once. once he had an acceptable OBP. one year in his entire career. He will not be pretty good defensively, because he's never been a good defender. And the Rockies didn't want to arbitrate with him because he wasn't worth it.

More overstatement.

Taveras has a .331 lifetime OBP, which is decent.

Taveras is a good defender in centerfield. No, he's not a top centerfielder like Patterson, but I haven't heard anyone say he's "never been a good defender" except on Redszone.

Maybe the Rockies didn't want to arbitrate with him because he led the league in steals and might get a high salary in arbitration.

Let's see how it works out. Sorry, just not as sure of the future as some around here are.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    OK, we are getting someplace now.

How big of a difference is there between a single and a walk? (We can measure this by the way, so there actually IS an answer)
    It depends wholly on the situation. You can obviously throw out some stat, but even that will depend upon the situations. To me, it's about creating opportunities. A single creates more options than a walk does in general. OBP does not distinguish between the two. There isn't a stat that determines momentum and the effect of a rally. Walks are a pause in a rally...a hit builds the momentum emotionally.

I understand the formulas, I understand their uses, but I also understand that there isn't a formula to encapsulate a player. Not completely and not in context to his fellow teammates. My eyes do. I place more faith in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    not so. the 2007 version of WT should get ABs. the 2008 version should not. again, this is Dusty's job to use him as a defensive sub or pinch runner if we get the 2008 version.
    Well, we saw what happened when Dusty Baker was given Corey Patterson and Paul Bako--I don't have the faith that he'll have any idea what to do with Taveras. If used properly, Taveras has a small amount of value, but the sad part of that is that there's almost no chance that's going to happen. Even the Reds' GM has clearly implied that Taveras will play center field and lead off.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    And, once again, the 2007 version was still a below average player.

The 2005, 2006, 2008 versions are too awful to even think about.

And he's signed to a two year deal. He's going to get 1200 PA's in those two years, and even at his best (and his best was so far over his head he could see Big Ben from up there) he's still BELOW AVERAGE.

An "average" NL CF is nothing to write home about.

Wow, Walt. It appears your reputation of building a World Series franchise have been destroyed with this single signing.

Let's go for an optimistic turn here:

What numbers would Taveras need to put up to be ACCEPTABLE to you naysayers on here? And let's try to keep the "it'll never happen" comments to a minimum. What's done is done so let's talk about what we need to see in order for the deal to be deemed a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    More overstatement.

Taveras has a .331 lifetime OBP, which is decent.

Taveras is a good defender in centerfield. No, he's not a top centerfielder like Patterson, but I haven't heard anyone say he's "never been a good defender" except on Redszone.

Maybe the Rockies didn't want to arbitrate with him because he led the league in steals and might get a high salary in arbitration.

Let's see how it works out. Sorry, just not as sure of the future as some around here are.
    The lifetime OBP is spiked by a career year in 2007.

Everyone on Redszone saying he's a poor defender has been justifying that position with defensive metrics.

The Rockies aren't a small market team. they could have easily afforded Taveras. They didn't want him.

Well, personally I know a crap move when I see one.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The lifetime OBP is spiked by a career year in 2007.
    He only appeared in 97 games that year.

The Reds can still be good with Taveras on their roster, but it's going to be that much harder with him there.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The 10 most similar players according to baseball-reference.

I only recognize three names, and none of them ever scared anyone with the bat.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    You've been given 54 months (nine seasons) of three high-IsoD hitters so far, yet you're the one using the rolleyes emoticons and calling the opposing position "insane". That's pretty strong for someone with no evidence to support their theory, don'tcha think?
    What theory? All I've said is that players do go stretches when they don't walk. Players who walk a lot still have stretches where they don't as much. They start struggling at the plate and start forcing things. They run up against a string of pitchers who have above average control. I never said that players who hit for average slump more or less than ones with high walk rates. Only that the ones with high walk rates ALSO slump. And that they slump in regards to hits AND to walks. Every player does. It's how long the slumps are that determine how effective a player they are IMO.

Someone just posted Dunn's monthly walk totals and lo and behold, that month of 10 walks stands out. The rest were fairly consistant, but in regards to walks...I'd call that a slump for taking walks.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post

What numbers would Taveras need to put up to be ACCEPTABLE to you naysayers on here? .
    He could win the MVP, OB over .400, score 120 runs, and this move will be lampooned regardless. Welcome to the post-split Redszone. Echo-Chambers R Us.

Still, it sure doesn't seem like a very smart move. Certainly an unnecessary one.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    The 10 most similar players according to baseball-reference.

I only recognize three names, and none of them ever scared anyone with the bat.
    woy was all over it on the 7th post of this thread:

The Dominican Chuck Carr
    how does he do that??
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He only appeared in 97 games that year.

The Reds can still be good with Taveras on their roster, but it's going to be that much harder with him there.
    I mentioned that too. Had he appeared in say 140 games he was more likely to be closer to his career norms than stay on the pace he was for that season. so closer to a .325 OBP than .370.

blech.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He could win the MVP, OB over .400, score 120 runs, and this move will be lampooned regardless. Welcome to the post-split Redszone. Echo-Chambers R Us.
    It's hard to call it an Echo-Chamber when, really, there isn't much an argument that can be made that Taveras is anything other than a waste of a roster space. The reason you hear things echoing is because it's an issue that most people can reasonably come to the same conclusion on.

Seriously -- if you can make a decent argument for acquiring Taveras as a starting CF / leadoff hitter, then I am all ears.

And no, I don't count any argument that includes the phrase "if used properly" because his role on this team has already been defined by Walt today and by Dusty's history: everyday CF, leadoff hitter.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Wow, Walt. It appears your reputation of building a World Series franchise have been destroyed with this single signing.

Let's go for an optimistic turn here:

What numbers would Taveras need to put up to be ACCEPTABLE to you naysayers on here? And let's try to keep the "it'll never happen" comments to a minimum. What's done is done so let's talk about what we need to see in order for the deal to be deemed a success.

If he has a NL average season for a NL centerfielder, I'll be more then happy.

OBP-.333
    SLG-.426
    OPS-.760

Or roughly, 85-90 Runs Created per 600 PA's.

Turn Off Ads?