Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 621

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

  1. #91
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,224

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Maybe if I post this here, someone else will read it.

    Credit goes to Raisor (as credit should for all great developments in baseball thought and life):
    I wasn't saying that Taveras is a great player, or that he's the answer to our problems. But a career best year followed by a career worst year will tend to cause people here to exaggerate his flaws IMO. I'm not going to get into a debate about the numbers because I simply don't know enough about the saberstats as everyone else here. But this is a signing to improve the depth of the team that is drastically short on outfielders. This is a signing to give our young players time to develop. This is a signing to improve our outfield defense and team speed/baserunning, 2 areas that were so far beyond pathetic last year that I'm amazed it hasn't been focused on more.

    Everyone seems to want us to replace the run production lost by Dunn leaving. I get that. But what I don't think everyone else gets is that Jocketty isn't looking to replace that. He's wanting to change the formula. Instead of increasing our run production, how about lowering the number of runs allowed instead? Increased defense alone will improve the results of our pitching staff. You can win with small ball if you've got great pitching. That's a given. But can we play effective small ball? That remains to be seen. But adding speed and defense is certainly a step in that direction wouldn't you agree?

    Everyone seems to be griping that this is like some devastating move to the franchise and I just don't get that. We didn't lose anything with this signing. We didn't have a leadoff man, we didn't have enough OF'ers, and we didn't have a serious SB threat. Now we do and it didn't cost us anything other than some dough. Would I have preferred a BETTER player? Sure, but he is NOT Patterson. (this wasn't aimed at you...just ranting in general)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,362

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    I got to run. Like I said I never seen such over-reaction to a free agent signing for a ballplayer that won't be here two years from now. But I have come to the conclusion on this site, no matter the name you throw out there; the trade proposal you post; or the free agent signing or trade the Reds make, it will never be right. Posters will find a reason not to like the acquisition before accepting it.

    See eight years of losing does that to a fan base. Everything is negative. Instead of looking at the positives, it is easier to look at the negatives because it is easier to point the finger at a team's futility. There was a reason why Walt Jocketty was put in charge. His track record speaks for itself. I will give the man the benefit of doubt. Why? Because you hope one day things finally turns around.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  4. #93
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,123

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    But what I don't think everyone else gets is that Jocketty isn't looking to replace that. He's wanting to change the formula. Instead of increasing our run production, how about lowering the number of runs allowed instead? Increased defense alone will improve the results of our pitching staff. You can win with small ball if you've got great pitching.

    If the Reds can somehow equal their Runs Scored from last year (and I don't think that's close to a given, but let's just hope) they would have to give up 200 less runs then last year to make the playoffs.
    Be somewhere in the 590-600 RA area.

    Yeah, I don't see that happening either.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  5. #94
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I wasn't saying that Taveras is a great player, or that he's the answer to our problems. But a career best year followed by a career worst year will tend to cause people here to exaggerate his flaws IMO. I'm not going to get into a debate about the numbers because I simply don't know enough about the saberstats as everyone else here. But this is a signing to improve the depth of the team that is drastically short on outfielders. This is a signing to give our young players time to develop. This is a signing to improve our outfield defense and team speed/baserunning, 2 areas that were so far beyond pathetic last year that I'm amazed it hasn't been focused on more.

    Everyone seems to want us to replace the run production lost by Dunn leaving. I get that. But what I don't think everyone else gets is that Jocketty isn't looking to replace that. He's wanting to change the formula. Instead of increasing our run production, how about lowering the number of runs allowed instead? Increased defense alone will improve the results of our pitching staff. You can win with small ball if you've got great pitching. That's a given. But can we play effective small ball? That remains to be seen. But adding speed and defense is certainly a step in that direction wouldn't you agree?

    Everyone seems to be griping that this is like some devastating move to the franchise and I just don't get that. We didn't lose anything with this signing. We didn't have a leadoff man, we didn't have enough OF'ers, and we didn't have a serious SB threat. Now we do and it didn't cost us anything other than some dough. Would I have preferred a BETTER player? Sure, but he is NOT Patterson. (this wasn't aimed at you...just ranting in general)
    Patterson has a better career OPS+ than Taveras and its not all that close.

    As for Taveras coming off his career worst with his career best before comment.... the problem is his career best still didn't make him an average major league center fielder. We just gave a 2 year deal to a guy whose career best year made him slightly below average at the second weakest hitting position on the field.

  6. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    947

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    I really don't have a major problem with the signing, unless we go with a starting OF of Dickerson Taveras and Bruce.... I don't think Walt is anywhere near done.

    I think its a good deal if we plan on platooning Taveras and Dickerson. Dickerson struggles to stay healthy and is streaky... I think it would be good to have him only play against righties.


    I think the major problem with this board's response is everyone has too big of a "pitched tent" for Chris Dickerson. He will be on the squad and will have the opportunity to play himself into the line up... but lets be honest here... hes a at best major league average OF... We've only seen him in limited time and I personally would have a major problem writing his name into the line up with a pen. He is just not someone I push all in on.

    I see Taveras and Dickerson as the 3rd/4th OFs with another big deal for a LF.

  7. #96
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

    Everyone seems to be griping that this is like some devastating move to the franchise and I just don't get that. We didn't lose anything with this signing. We didn't have a leadoff man, we didn't have enough OF'ers, and we didn't have a serious SB threat. Now we do and it didn't cost us anything other than some dough. Would I have preferred a BETTER player? Sure, but he is NOT Patterson. (this wasn't aimed at you...just ranting in general)

    Thats basically my point, they seem to think Taveras has moved in with Dusty's daughter. They needed OFs and it beats rushing guys thru the system.

  8. #97
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Tell me how it's not that bad?

    This is a team that fell 100 runs short in the run differential last season AND lost it's biggest run producer.

    This is a team in desperate need of good players, and they just signed one that could only be generously described as well below average.
    This simple math above explains it all.

    I'm not jumping off a bridge, but I am definitely not excited by this signing. The only good thing is that it cost the Reds nary a player in return.

    Unless a big bat is added in LF (and I doubt it will at this point), this team is left with a lot of "hoping" in order to improve in 2009. As in hoping that Cueto progresses, Volquez repeats his fine year, and Harang returns to 2007 form. Hoping that Edwin continues to improve with the bat and has learned how to play 3B in the offseason. Hoping that Gonzalez is finally healthy, physically and emotionally. Hoping that Taveras returns to his 2007 numbers. Hoping the bullpen.... that's a lot of hope.

    Good thing that hope springs eternal!

  9. #98
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Tell me how it's not that bad?

    This is a team that fell 100 runs short in the run differential last season AND lost it's biggest run producer.

    This is a team in desperate need of good players, and they just signed one that could only be generously described as well below average.
    And that keeps them from acquiring those good players how exactly?

    The answer is that it doesn't. There are still options in LF, and options for the SS positions. They still have pieces to work a trade if they so choose. That will determine the Reds offseason, not signing a guy for a likely platoon in CF.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  10. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    1,392

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Lather, rinse, repeat.

    More AB's wasted at the top of the order. I can't wait to hear Dusty tout his speed.
    Stop! Heisey time!

  11. #100
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Patterson has a better career OPS+ than Taveras and its not all that close.

    As for Taveras coming off his career worst with his career best before comment.... the problem is his career best still didn't make him an average major league center fielder. We just gave a 2 year deal to a guy whose career best year made him slightly below average at the second weakest hitting position on the field.

    Doug, youre well respected in my book, whats the difference between Taveras and Freel, if it's huge then I understand the belly ache, if not then its replacing Freel with Taveras in my book.

  12. #101
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,123

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    That will determine the Reds offseason, not signing a guy for a likely platoon in CF.
    A) Can you point me to anything that says that Willy T will be a platoon player?

    b) he doesn't have any kind of platoon split, he's equally horrible against both RHP and LHP.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  13. #102
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Doug, youre well respected in my book, whats the difference between Taveras and Freel, if it's huge then I understand the belly ache, if not then its replacing Freel with Taveras in my book.
    Freel got on base at a decent clip. You ever think that you might be wrong?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  14. #103
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

    More AB's wasted at the top of the order. I can't wait to hear Dusty tout his speed.
    He's no base clogger, dude.

  15. #104
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This simple math above explains it all.

    I'm not jumping off a bridge, but I am definitely not excited by this signing. The only good thing is that it cost the Reds nary a player in return.

    Unless a big bat is added in LF (and I doubt it will at this point), this team is left with a lot of "hoping" in order to improve in 2009. As in hoping that Cueto progresses, Volquez repeats his fine year, and Harang returns to 2007 form. Hoping that Edwin continues to improve with the bat and has learned how to play 3B in the offseason. Hoping that Gonzalez is finally healthy, physically and emotionally. Hoping that Taveras returns to his 2007 numbers. Hoping the bullpen.... that's a lot of hope.

    Good thing that hope springs eternal!
    You thought we we're going to compete with the Yankees, did ya?

  16. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,362

    Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I wasn't saying that Taveras is a great player, or that he's the answer to our problems. But a career best year followed by a career worst year will tend to cause people here to exaggerate his flaws IMO. I'm not going to get into a debate about the numbers because I simply don't know enough about the saberstats as everyone else here. But this is a signing to improve the depth of the team that is drastically short on outfielders. This is a signing to give our young players time to develop. This is a signing to improve our outfield defense and team speed/baserunning, 2 areas that were so far beyond pathetic last year that I'm amazed it hasn't been focused on more.

    Everyone seems to want us to replace the run production lost by Dunn leaving. I get that. But what I don't think everyone else gets is that Jocketty isn't looking to replace that. He's wanting to change the formula. Instead of increasing our run production, how about lowering the number of runs allowed instead? Increased defense alone will improve the results of our pitching staff. You can win with small ball if you've got great pitching. That's a given. But can we play effective small ball? That remains to be seen. But adding speed and defense is certainly a step in that direction wouldn't you agree?

    Everyone seems to be griping that this is like some devastating move to the franchise and I just don't get that. We didn't lose anything with this signing. We didn't have a leadoff man, we didn't have enough OF'ers, and we didn't have a serious SB threat. Now we do and it didn't cost us anything other than some dough. Would I have preferred a BETTER player? Sure, but he is NOT Patterson. (this wasn't aimed at you...just ranting in general)
    Amen brother. I couldn't have said it or posted any better.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25