Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Reds sign Willy Taveras to 2 year deal....

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So 5 months of consistent BB totals, and you point out the one month his totals dropped. You ignored the WILDLY fluctuating BA totals in the process. you proved the point that BB totals are more slump proof, not disproved it.
    Again, that was one player. And you're ignoring the fact that you're comparing a counting stat to a percentage stat. The number for a percentage stat will vary more with smaller changes than a counting stat will appear to be. It's not uncommon for hits to come at a 2 to 1 rate compared to walks. Fewer walks mean a smaller difference in numbers will indicate a wider rate of change. So a change from 10 walks to 15 walks could mean a bigger discrepancy than a 20 point change in BA. (no, I didn't calculate anything there...just stating some examples). You're also using a set time frame of monthly increments. Slumps don't come in monthly intervals, they can be a week or 2 weeks or whatever. My only point was that players with walk-based OBP still get slumps both in regards to hits AND walks. Walks fluctuate just like hits do. Arguing that fact is what I found to be rather insane. I wasn't calling a person here insane, just that perception.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What exactly do you want out of your Redszone?

People are going to complain about roster moves.

People are going to complain about people that complain about roster moves.

People are going to complain about the people complaining about the people complaining about roster moves.

It's the internets.
    I've seen boards with less unanimity of opinion. It's no big deal.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Why do you say that? I don't have any indication that the Reds are done for the offseason.
    From Tom Servo's post number 210 in this thread:

--Are the Reds still interested in Jerry Hairston Jr.? "Yes. He could end up being the left fielder if we can't get that RBI man, which might be hard to do at this point. We may have a different type of team, where we rely on speed and defense and try to manufacture runs. We've still got some guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark -- (Joey) Votto, (Jay) Bruce and (Edwin) Encarnacion. But we're going to a little bit different kind of team."
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    From Tom Servo's post number 210 in this thread:
    I don't take GMs at their word.

Outfielder prices are going to be the lowest they've been in a while. I'd be surprised if a decent power guy isn't acquired.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Outfielder prices are going to be the lowest they've been in a while. I'd be surprised if a decent power guy isn't acquired.

I maintain that CF/Leadoff is the red herring to distract fans from the problem at SS, namely having/acquiring one that doesn't suck.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Even if OB is more math than you can personally digest, Taveras is a leadoff hitter who's never scored more than 83 runs in a season. He averages 88 runs per 162 games. In the simplest of terms, he's no good at his job.
    In 2008 Taveras stole 68 bases, but only scored 64 runs.

That's unbelievable.

In fact, he is the only player in baseball over the last 9 years (possibly longer, ESPN.com only goes back to 2000 with their sortables and I'm too lazy to go elsewhere) to steal more than 10 bases and not have more Rs than SBs.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The guy has no power. Such a hitter will always fall short in any statistical category that includes power hitting. For example, SLG and OPS. This type of hiter will always fail in these areas, and RC probably is included. And yes, he had his best year in 2007 and his worst in 2008.

His value is in his speed, ability to get infield hits, base stealing, and overall disruptive impact. If he has a good OBP year, which he has done previously, Taveras will be a good asset. If he OBPs the same as last year, he will be very frustrating and not much help.

IMO, this move is ok, but still begs the question of who will be the main new power hitter. If none, and it's an outfield of Taveras, Dickerson, Hairston, and Bruce, then I expect a very aggressive, fun team but one that probably lacks the power to win.
    Agree. With the exception of us lacking the power to win. Bruce, Votto, Phillip, Encarnacion all have very good power. Dickerson & Hernandez have also shown good power. Losing Dunn & Griffey hurts in the HR department, but the improvement of the kids and the improved defense should balance things out considerably I think.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Again, that was one player. And you're ignoring the fact that you're comparing a counting stat to a percentage stat. The number for a percentage stat will vary more with smaller changes than a counting stat will appear to be. It's not uncommon for hits to come at a 2 to 1 rate compared to walks. Fewer walks mean a smaller difference in numbers will indicate a wider rate of change. So a change from 10 walks to 15 walks could mean a bigger discrepancy than a 20 point change in BA. (no, I didn't calculate anything there...just stating some examples). You're also using a set time frame of monthly increments. Slumps don't come in monthly intervals, they can be a week or 2 weeks or whatever. My only point was that players with walk-based OBP still get slumps both in regards to hits AND walks. Walks fluctuate just like hits do. Arguing that fact is what I found to be rather insane. I wasn't calling a person here insane, just that perception.
    Of the top 10 guys last year in BB totals, none of them had an OBP lower than .374.

That isn't a coincidence.

The BA's for those top 10 guys range as low as .231 to as high as .357.

I agree that prices will be down. I don't think that the Reds will get anyone to play here at the low prices. Low prices open the market to a lot more bidders. The Reds will still need to invest quite a bit above the other teams to lure an attractive player IMO. As you pointed out in other threads, this team seems to be focused on going cheap. I don't see the Reds getting anyone decent. I still think a platoon situation might be the best way to get production for the Reds' prices.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agree. With the exception of us lacking the power to win. Bruce, Votto, Phillip, Encarnacion all have very good power. Dickerson & Hernandez have also shown good power. Losing Dunn & Griffey hurts in the HR department, but the improvement of the kids and the improved defense should balance things out considerably I think.

Allen... Allen Cuttler is that you?

J/k

The Reds created 97 runs in 757 PA's out of the leadoff spot in 2008. Willy T would need 830 PA's to match that.

Why did they let Patterson go, again?

I'd really rather have him. Seriously.

I really hope they plan on bringing in another outfielder. They still need a LFer, don't they?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Why did they let Patterson go, again?

I'd really rather have him. Seriously.

I really hope they plan on bringing in another outfielder. They still need a LFer, don't they?
    Didn't you read earlier in the thread? Walt is looking at JHJ for that spot!

Yippie!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Didn't you read earlier in the thread? Walt is looking at JHJ for that spot!

Yippie!
    I just ate eggs.

you do not want me to throw up eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I just ate eggs.

you do not want me to throw up eggs.

I do now!

VOMIT!

Turn Off Ads?