Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who gets the ring.. Legally.

Who gets the ring.. Legally.

Alright, I dated a girl for 10 months, I bought her a ring, I got rid of her, she refuses to give the ring back, is the ring legally mine or what?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who gets the ring.. Legally.

It's probably hers. You gave it to her right? Don't see how it could possibly belong to you once you give it away. If you gave her a car/PS3/sandwich/whatever she wouldn't be required to return it to you. I don't see why a ring would be any different.

Edit: Snopes tells me that courts typically order engagement rings to be returned to the buyer. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Alright, I dated a girl for 10 months, I bought her a ring, I got rid of her, she refuses to give the ring back, is the ring legally mine or what?
    It's hers, it would fall under gift in the law most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Well.. it wasn't an engagement ring.. and I'm not going to explain the whole story.. but I didn't give it to her.. well I did but only on the condition that she would give it back a couple days later.. it's complicated.. but I want it back.

Youre going to have to check your state's specific laws, each states a bit different. I dont have that book handy now.
    Last edited by Slyder; 12-28-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Well.. it wasn't an engagement ring.. and I'm not going to explain the whole story.. but I didn't give it to her.. well I did but only on the condition that she would give it back a couple days later.. it's complicated.. but I want it back.
    The issue, if it wasn't an egnagement ring (Slyder's right -- with an engagement ring, the issue is sometimes subject to individual state law as opposed to common law gift and personal property law), will likely turn on whether or not you gave it to her with the proper "donative intent" -- i.e. if you, when you gave it to her, intended for her to have it as a gift.

What you're describing here sounds more like a bailment -- where you would retain interest in the property in question.

Bottom line, I'd consult with a lawyer if you really want to know or, better yet, talk to her. Tell her that you want the ring back and don't want to get lawyers involved and see if there is some kind of amicable arrangement that you can reach.

It might involve you paying her some nominal amount for the ring, but it's probably a fair sight better than calling a lawyer and paying to litigate the issue.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

From what you describe my guess is the ring does belong to you but you're dealing with oral contracts and all. Ultimately it's up to a judge. I doubt you'll find a law that exactly describes your situation. If you really think it's yours then you'd better be prepared for small claims court. If it's worth the hassle to you, then go for it.

They call me "chef"

Tell the story, man!

Not that I'm unsympathetic but did she give you anything of value? If she did, do you feel you should return that since you believe she should return the ring?

It might be worth whatever you paid for the ring just to have her out of your life for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It might be worth whatever you paid for the ring just to have her out of your life for good.
    No kidding. My first thought was that if this chick was such a pain, get the heck away from her and chalk it up to experience. The cost of the ring might be well worth it to avoid the drama.

Unless, of corse, the ring is just a convenient pretext to stay involved in the scene.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-29-2008 at 08:08 AM.

You could hire some big guys with guns and take it back...just don't get caught like this guy did.

I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Be a mensch, let her have it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's what I did.

Then I found out years later that she sold it for drugs.

Boy, am I glad I didn't marry that girl.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    That's what I did.

Then I found out years later that she sold it for drugs.

Boy, am I glad I didn't marry that girl.
    Wheels 1, ex-girlfriend 5-10.

My advice is to let the ring go; there is no such thing as loaning a ring to a girlfriend.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bingo. Life is too short. You would have a questionable case at best, and it isn't worth it. Forget the ring, and her.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?