Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who gets the ring.. Legally.

Re: Who gets the ring.. Legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Understand that all this talk of engagement ring cases are fine and dandy but they don't apply here. He clearly stated that this was not an egagement ring:

...so issues like who broke off the relationship have no bearing here.
    While it may not involve an engagement ring, some states might look to those cases by analogy because it involves some sort of ring given by a man to a woman with whom he was in a relationship. Aside from that, I think Caveat's earlier answer is probably most correct. If the ring was given without the proper donative intent, then it is most likely considered a bailment and she has to give it back. Of course, from the practical perspective, it's only worth pursuing if 1) the ring is of substantial value to justify the cost of litigating the matter; or 2) the ring bears so much sentimental value (e.g. family heirloom) that it outweighs the costs of bringing a lawsuit.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Judge Judy always rules that it's a gift and you the receiver gets to keep it.

Funny the emotional or symbolic attachment people have to rings.

If you give your girlfriend/finance a really nice DVD player for Christmas and you breakup a month later very few people loose sleep over "who gets the DVD player".
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Haunted by walks

Unless of course it was a World Series ring, circa '90, '76 or '75.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    In past relationships I've been in, I've given gifts that were of more-than-a-little value, some getting up in the many $100's of dollars. But I can't say I ever wanted anything back.

At the time of the giving, it was done in great sincerity and (possible) love. I'd give it a lot of thought to make sure it was a gift that I thought that person would like, i.e. it was customized for them and not me. I never expected it to come back nor did I really want it back if the relationship died.

If it were an engagement ring (which its not), I can see the expectation of getting it returned. But otherwise, it's a gift like you give to friends, family, lovers, etc etc. Expecting it back because the relationship went south off isn't part of the game IMO. Getting pissy about it can only make everyone look bad.

Exactly.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?