Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Wigginton maybe the best answer?

Is Wigginton maybe the best answer?

I know his name has been thrown around here some already but after looking at his numbers I'm kinda thinking he makes the most sense. I noticed some people lobbying for Swisher or Nady but statistically 'ole Ty has 'em both beat...and of course wouldn't cost us Homer or any other prospects.

Is Wigginton better that EE at third? Athletic enough to play left full-time?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Wigginton maybe the best answer?

I don't know if he's the best answer, but I would feel better about the Reds' likely Opening Day lineup, based on the current roster, if he were in it.
    Whether he or EE move to left field could be decided in spring training.
    I remain hopeful that Walt will work out a trade for the right-handed-hitting, middle-of-the-lineup run producer that he has acknowledged we need.

I made this observation the other day on the "Whats Left Of 2009 Free Agent Class" thread. He isn't a great player but perhaps the best fit from what is available out there...and he would only cost money.

Although Wigginton doesn't have great range, he is more dependable than Encarnacion. Plus, he has also played left, second, and first in his career.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

He's looking for 3 years, reportedly. I don't think anyone here would be happy giving him 3 years.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He's looking for 3 years, reportedly. I don't think anyone here would be happy giving him 3 years.
    I hadn't heard that and it seems a little much...I'd think he would be better served going somewhere he can play every day, putting up some numbers and then hoping for a big payday next season in a hopefully better economy.

Also this seasons market hadn't exactly panned out the way most of these guys were hoping(with the exception of the C.C. and Teixera's of the world). Even Manny i think overplayed his hand somewhat though I'm sure he'll still get paid. I also wondering if D. Lowe is gonna accept an offer like the one the Mets threw out there even though it was considerably less that what he was seeking. I heard some of the XM guys talking about it and if Lowe will accept that sort of deal then alot of teams(Reds included)should try to get in the mix.

Wigginton works out at the same baseball facility that my son works out in, just outside of Charlotte. Chances are that I will run in to him at one time or another in January, as we will be spending a lot of time there. I will let you know if I hear any chatter on where he is going.

Pre-Taveras, Wiggington to 3b on a reasonable deal, with EE to LF was one of my "fall-back" hopes. I guess it still is, but I point out that Taveras doesn't get them enough offense that bringing in Wigginton closes the gap on the runs they need to find this off-season. Probably no signing short of Manny Ramirez would, so, Wigginton would be as fine as anything, I guess, in terms of free agents.

Wigginton

Wigginton at 3B.

Weathers for Nady (LF).

EE plus traded for a real SS.

I can dream.

Will Wigginton start for this club in 2010? That's a real question. There are three places he could play for us: 3b, LF, 1b. Who will sit? Votto, EE, Alonso, Frazier, Dorn, Dickerson (if he can really play and Stubbs or Heisey is ready to go in center), maybe even Francisco. Remember, too, that with the exception of EE, these will all then be much much cheaper options. I'd love to have Wigginton in 2009, not sure he can even make our lineup by 2010. I think this is part of Walt's dilemma; he's trying to keep contracts shorter than many of the guys he's negotiating with are willing to accept.

He also played 2B in his past. If he can suit up there, he's a super sub that can help the club, a la Jeff Kent in Cleveland and New York or Howard Johnson in Detroit. He'd be that rare supersub fifth or sixth place hitter.

Maybe.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Wiggy 3rd.

Edwin LF

Relatively Cheap. Easy. Adds pop.

If Wigginton thinks he has a solid starting position for three years somewhere, why would he want to be a super sub?

If Wiggington is the answer the question sucks.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    I know his name has been thrown around here some already but after looking at his numbers I'm kinda thinking he makes the most sense. I noticed some people lobbying for Swisher or Nady but statistically 'ole Ty has 'em both beat...and of course wouldn't cost us Homer or any other prospects.

Is Wigginton better that EE at third? Athletic enough to play left full-time?
    Wouldn't be the wrong answer with the offense that is setting up as of now for 2009.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?