Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Running the Football

Running the Football

I have a question for everyone. Every Sunday, I hear the same thing. When X Team runs for over X yards, they win more often than not. Now, here is my question. Are they winning because they are running or are the running because they are winning? So often, a team takes the lead and starts running the ball down the other teams throat.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Running the Football

Running teams win for one reason: they control the football. If the other team doesn't have the ball, they can't score. By minimizing the risk of a pick six, you further begin this law into play. If you can play a good game of ball control, you will be in it with a shot at the win come 4th quarter, even with inferior talent.

There's no unversial right or wrong answer to this question. It simply depends on what game you are watching. In some games you win because you have run sucessfully, and in others the winning team runs more after the game is in hand.

However...having a dominanting and time-controlling running game will significantly increase the odds of winning.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

That's a good point -- sometimes, a lot of rushing attempts is a cause, and sometimes it's an effect. But good rushing teams have an advantage. Biting off those regular 4, 5, 6-yard chunks keeps the team in positive down and distance situations and keeps all the playcalling options open.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

IF you have a bad or avg defense...having a good ball control running game can really help.

The 1988-89 SF teams however....ball controlled with the pass and their defense was above average as well. I liked their way of football......better chance to come back with the passing game. Plus they maximized their talents where it was at....with the QB and WR and TE. Also the RB out of the backfield plays worked for them.

This garbage that Lewis wants to do.....turning the bengals into a running team irks me beacuse they do not have the talent...especially on the OL to do this.

It always irked me that the middle to late 80's bengals would not use the ball control more ....beacuse they had a better running game than passing game, IMO...which is saying something considering their passing talents.

You look at that 1986 offense and it might have been better than the 1988 team. That 1986 team defense was not as good as 1988 and their ST gave away at least 2 games as well.

Turn Off Ads?