Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shanahan fired

Re: Shanahan fired

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know if I would compare Shanahan to Mangini. The Shanahan firing is shocking to me. During his entire tenure he had the Broncos relevant and won two Super Bowls. From what I heard he got in a pissing match with the Bronco's owner and the Bronco's owner won. IMO Mangini was an over rated coach that saw success based upon smoke and mirrors in his first season in NY. There is always a team in the NFL that gets on a roll and makes the playoffs that falls back down to reality the next season. The Browns were a perfect example of that this season. The Jets went all in this season and failed to make the playoffs while the Giants have turned into the dominant team in the NFL. The writing was on the wall for the Mangini when he failed to make the playoffs.
    IMO, Mangini is taking the fall for Mike Tannenbaum. Broadway Brett was supposed to get them into the playoffs and he ran out of gas. I would look at the person who acquired Favre.

I guess what is really frustrating is that if you are a Bengals fan, you look at teams who are better than you firing their coaches and they have at least had success.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm pretty sure I heard on ESPN that he has only won 1 playoff game since Elway retired.

Time for a change. Good move in my opinion. Their division was not exactly the hardest division in the NFL this season. They had a 3 game lead with 3 to play and blew it...brutal.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Rumor here is that Jerry Jones will go after Shanahan to take over coaching the Cowboys in 2010.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Rumor here is that Jerry Jones will go after Shanahan to take over coaching the Cowboys in 2010.
    I just read that.

Seriously though, just fire Wade Phillips and get it over with. I can't imagine wanting to coach a team that you know is only giving you a year and then you are out the door.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    IMO, Mangini is taking the fall for Mike Tannenbaum. Broadway Brett was supposed to get them into the playoffs and he ran out of gas. I would look at the person who acquired Favre.
    Mangini appears to have emerged as a lead candidate for the Brown's head coaching job. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3807748

He is said to have given a "compelling" interview and owner Randy Lerner is fascinated with him. So did Crennel, and for that matter - Wayne Krivsky.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Mangini appears to have emerged as a lead candidate for the Brown's head coaching job. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3807748

He is said to have given a "compelling" interview and owner Randy Lerner is fascinated with him. So did Crennel, and for that matter - Wayne Krivsky.
    If the Browns do hire Mangini, they might as well have just stuck with Crennel. Same philosophy that hasn't worked outside of Foxborough.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If the Browns do hire Mangini, they might as well have just stuck with Crennel. Same philosophy that hasn't worked outside of Foxborough.
    I think there's a pretty big personality difference between Mangini and Crennel. But, ultimately, if the HC and the GM are not on the same page, and/or if the owner won't keep his paws out of football, you're not copying what does work in NE.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Losing those last three games at the end of the season kind of sealed his fate.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to Gruden in Tampa...both the Bucs and Broncos choked away playoff births big time this year with total collapses at the end of the season.
    Nice call.

Shanahan is gone. And now Gruden is gone. But Marvin wins less and he's forced to stay. And life goes on in Bungle Land. Nice job mikey.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-17-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Nice call.

Shanahan is gone. And now Gruden is gone. But Marvin wins less and he's forced to stay. And life goes on in Bungle Land. Nice job mikey.
    http://www.bangcartoon.com/2008/phonetag.htm

Thought you all would enjoy this. And get a laugh out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Now that is funny. I think the Marvin & Herm Edwards parts were the best parts. Thanks Slyder.

I never realized how much Chris Mortenson looks like Barney Rubble.

Turn Off Ads?