Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isn't that the most ugliest football field ever?

Re: Isn't that the most ugliest football field ever?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Oh, okay. I thought you might be referring to the design or paint job on the field rather than the condition. That video was pretty funny. Is there a chance that they keep the field in that shape intentionally? Why doesn't the league step in?
    You mean like the Cubs keeping the infield grass long for years? Well...it may have helped them when they were a power running team with Bettis, but it sure doesn't help them now. They have a speedy RB (Parker), a speedy WR (Holmes), and a fast defense. So, I think it hurts more than helps.

It is almost as bad as the old grass a PBS or the "grass" at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

It probably helps them at home because otehr teams dont get used to it

Oh, okay. I thought you might be referring to the design or paint job on the field rather than the condition. That video was pretty funny. Is there a chance that they keep the field in that shape intentionally? Why doesn't the league step in?
    They have supposedly made several attempts at improving the field. I could be wrong, but I believe the league has made an effort to step in, but I think it's kind of one of those 'there's not much we can do' situations.

The first time I saw that blue field (about 10 years ago) I honestly thought something was wrong with my TV. I kept trying to adjust the color but nothing was working. The announcers finally mentioned something about the blue field and I wished they had told me earlier.:
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    They have supposedly made several attempts at improving the field. I could be wrong, but I believe the league has made an effort to step in, but I think it's kind of one of those 'there's not much we can do' situations.
    Didn't stop them from pushing Mike Brown to put in field turf. I think the only difference is the name "Rooney." Cleveland is bad too, but nowhere near as bad as Pittsburgh, which makes the old field at PBS look nice. I'm just waiting for Roethlisberger or Polamalu to shred their knee before the Steelers take action.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

That video is from one of the strangest football games I've ever seen. I'm going off memory as to the cause, but IIRC, the field (which sucks anyway late in the year) was completely torn up by high school football. So the Steelers, rather than a hasty re-sodding, actually put new sod OVER the old field. But then it rained quite a bit. The water couldn't get through the lower layer of sod to the drainage system so it just sat there and completely ruined the top layer as well, turning it into a marsh.

Don't get me wrong. The turf at Heinz field sucks. There are always complaints. But footballs sticking like lawn darts aren't a normal occurrence.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    ...and add snow. Lots of it.
    I enjoyed in the most recent version of NCAA Football where the snow accumulates during the game.

I would often pick the smurf turf @ Boise, put on the snow, and by Halftime I couldn't see the field anymore.

Just awesome in my book.

When I see Boises field I instantly think Mid Major football

Quote Originally Posted by morande View Post
    When I see Boises field I instantly think Mid Major football
    It is a little gimmicky isn't it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?