Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: per ESPN's Buster Olney, Reds motivated to trade Harang

per ESPN's Buster Olney, Reds motivated to trade Harang

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=MLB&hl=279079

Report: Reds motivated to trade Aaron Harang

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, "the perception of rival executives is that the Reds' preference is to move Aaron Harang, rather than Bronson Arroyo."
    It makes sense. Harang has struggled for two straight seasons and is owed $12.5 million in 2010. The 31-year-old finished with a 6-14 record, 4.21 ERA and 1.41 WHIP in '09 and a 6-17 record with a 4.79 ERA in '08. Arroyo, on the other hand, posted a 3.84 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP this past year while tallying 15 wins. He's 32 and is set to earn $11 million in the upcoming season. Dec. 1 - 8:52 am et

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: per ESPN's Buster Olney, Reds motivated to trade Harang

Sell low on Harang, hold onto Arroyo. Sounds like a Cincinnati plan.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Are they really selling low on Harang or is more of a reality that he will never return to his 06-07 form?

the winning way

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Are they really selling low on Harang or is more of a reality that he will never return to his 06-07 form?
    but a team starting from behind the 8 ball has to take a few risks to have a shot.

Selling high on Arroyo and holding on to Harang IMO is not a bad play.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    but a team starting from behind the 8 ball has to take a few risks to have a shot.

Selling high on Arroyo and holding on to Harang IMO is not a bad play.
    Exactly. At the very least, make the decision after you've seen what the market is willing to offer. What sense does it make to make up your mind before you've done that?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Is there a meaningful amount of time left to wait to sell Harang high? Doesn't he just have one year left in his contract?

Maybe the Reds decided that Arroyo will help them more in 2010. Maybe the Reds want to keep Arroyo beyond 2010 but have no interest in keeping Harang long term.

This is the time to shop Harang, IMO. Trade him before clubs use up their financial flexiblity or before the FAs settle out. Maybe some club figures a Harang now is worth trading for vs. the uncertainty of getting a FA pitcher. Maybe not, but IMO, it's not dumb to shop Harang now if they've decided he's not a keeper.

I kind of doubt that Harang will be worth substantially more at the trade deadline than he's worth now. He may be more attractive since there's less salary to take on, but I doubt the talent coming back will be much greater then.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Exactly, who is to say Harang doesn't further decline. We may well be selling high at this point.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Arroyo's K/9 last year was 5.2. Harang's was 7.9.

Aaron's demonstrated front-line stuff for most of his career, Bronson's ceiling is MOR.

Aaron's a year younger.

Maybe they see something I don't.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Arroyo's K/9 last year was 5.2. Harang's was 7.9.

Aaron's demonstrated front-line stuff for most of his career, Bronson's ceiling is MOR.

Aaron's a year younger.

Maybe they see something I don't.
    They do.... ERA. Its like AVG for hitters, the best thing you can see for a player.

Harang posted an ERA+ of 102 last season. Not bad for someone who had a down year. Would I trade him for a good return? Absolutely. Would I trade him just to dump his salary? Nope. He's still a solid pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They do.... ERA. Its like AVG for hitters, the best thing you can see for a player.
    One year left as a Red for each pitcher. Similar pitchers in quality, Harang was better earlier, now hard to say who will do better in a given year.

The edge for Arroyo? Durability. Not that Harang isn't durable. But Arroyo is remarkably durable and for one year is very likely to give you 200 innings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One year left as a Red for each pitcher. Similar pitchers in quality, Harang was better earlier, now hard to say who will do better in a given year.

The edge for Arroyo? Durability. Not that Harang isn't durable. But Arroyo is remarkably durable and for one year is very likely to give you 200 innings.
    I will take my chances on the guy who misses a ton more bats moving forward, even if its just 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would think IP would be the 1st thing they are seeing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Exactly, who is to say Harang doesn't further decline. We may well be selling high at this point.
    if that is the case selling high would have been dealing him a few years ago. He has little trade value at this point, to get a player of any value in return for Harang they probably would have to pay a portion of his 2010 salary.

Trading Arroyo would be selling high especially since he is probably not likely to repeat 2009.

Arroyos FIP in 2009 was 4.75. Harangs was 4.08.

IMO Harang is likely to be the better pitcher in 2010. Arroyo was more a product of good fortune than good pitching.

Turn Off Ads?