Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The most important question re: adding Willy Taveras to the Reds...

Re: The most important question re: adding Willy Taveras to the Reds...

Oops... I didn't realize the consequences of mentioning Juan Pierre by name.

SHOOT! I did it again!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

dont know if this is mentioned.. Taveras will wear #3 geesh i guess when Taveras sees all those Griffey #3 jersies, he will pretend its his jersy..!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post

SHOOT! I did it again!
    Now you've really done it..
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Dude a green lantern optimus prime.....sweet!!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post

SHOOT! I did it again!
    So mentioning Juan Pierre by name causes bad things to happen or something?

Reds should have added the cheap low risk version of Taveras ... his name is Gathright

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I must know the name of this that I may buy it immediately.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Reds should have added the cheap low risk version of Taveras ... his name is Gathright
    Or Hopper. Already had him. No need to bring either of Taveras or Gathrght in. They are all the same guy, but Hopper may be a little smarter.

I'd prefer the smarter one n AAA than the others on the Reds.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Or Hopper. Already had him. No need to bring either of Taveras or Gathrght in. They are all the same guy, but Hopper may be a little smarter.

I'd prefer the smarter one n AAA than the others on the Reds.
    I disagree with most people here (again). Becoming a trend. I find when I am a real minority in opinion that I better look carefully at the arguments as I am more likely to be on the wrong side but I just don't see the tremendous bile thrown at Taveras.

No need to repeat the stats. IF Willie has a 2009 like 2008 he'll be a disaster. I can see that. But IF he has a season above his career OBP (and every player is either above or below that line to some degree - few ever hit their median spot on), steals as efficiently as he always has, and plays simply average level defense in center, he can be an effective weapon.

Looking at his career, I'd wager he'll better his career OBP a bit - probably not the level of his 2007 season but I'll bet he's closer to that than he is to last year's.

I would have loved someone better, actually would have preferred a platoon situation with Dickerson and someone; but - now people are implying NORRIS HOPPER would be preferable. Yegads. All I can say. Yegads.

Give me Taveras very easily if the choices have to be Pierre, Gathright, Hopper or Willie. The argument "it didn't have to be any of them" I can buy. The argument that Taveras is a disastrous mistake I do not.

Per C. Trent's blog:
    Dusty Baker said there could be a platoon in left with Gomes, Dickerson and Hopper/Hairston. He also said Willy Taveras is his centerfielder and leadoff batter.
    Of course we already knew this, but in case there were any doubts....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

No, no, I was assured by several in here that there would be an open competition in training camp for CF. Dusty must be mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No, no, I was assured by several in here that there would be an open competition in training camp for CF. Dusty must be mistaken...

Yah, Taveras was here for depth only. reading things like this causes my computer to freeze up. then I have to reboot it three times to get it to work properly.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

platoon between 3 maybe 4 players... hmmmmm that should work out really well...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    platoon between 3 maybe 4 players... hmmmmm that should work out really well...
    ... but no mention of Laynce Nix?!??!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I disagree with most people here (again). Becoming a trend. I find when I am a real minority in opinion that I better look carefully at the arguments as I am more likely to be on the wrong side but I just don't see the tremendous bile thrown at Taveras.

No need to repeat the stats. IF Willie has a 2009 like 2008 he'll be a disaster. I can see that. But IF he has a season above his career OBP (and every player is either above or below that line to some degree - few ever hit their median spot on), steals as efficiently as he always has, and plays simply average level defense in center, he can be an effective weapon.

Looking at his career, I'd wager he'll better his career OBP a bit - probably not the level of his 2007 season but I'll bet he's closer to that than he is to last year's.

I would have loved someone better, actually would have preferred a platoon situation with Dickerson and someone; but - now people are implying NORRIS HOPPER would be preferable. Yegads. All I can say. Yegads.

Give me Taveras very easily if the choices have to be Pierre, Gathright, Hopper or Willie. The argument "it didn't have to be any of them" I can buy. The argument that Taveras is a disastrous mistake I do not.
    As I said. I prefer Hopper in AAA. IMO, Taveras is just Hopper with more playing time (and now a guaranteed contract). Offensive skillset is exactly the same. Taveras has some window dressing with his stolen bases, but he's not a game changing base stealer and IMO those 70ish steals add little when it comes to actually winning baseball games. They're nice for a fantasy team, but I don't think they add much as far as on the field wins and losses go. There are a few guys whose steals enhance value (Ichiro and Jimmy Rollins are a couple of examples) but not many whose sole value is based on the ability to steal bases that are worth passing on players who do other things. Take away the steals (which are a very minor factor IMO) and how is Taveras much different than Hopper? For that matter, don't you think Hopper would accumulate a bunch of steals if he played all the time? It wouldn't make him any good, but I think he would. IMO, bringing in Taveras was pointless. The Reds already had him on the roster and don't really have room for two of them (one is bad enough).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?