Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Predictions

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Predictions

How do you think it's going to play out between OSU and Texas?

As a lifelong Buckeye fan I'll obviously be rooting for them, and anything can happen (I guess); but I'm not optimistic. I understand this group of senior's urgency to finish strong. They will play their hearts out for sure. I have a feeling I'm going to be watching the game with one eye closed a majority of the time though.

Why? There are numerous reason; but one of the primary ones is OSU's offensive line. I don't think they have faced a defensive line and line backing corp as speedy and talented as they will see from Texas. Will OSU's line be able to create the seams for Wells and Pryor to perform in?

Unless Tressel has some tricks up his sleeve (and that usually gets him in trouble IMO), Texas is going to stack the line due to OSU's weakness in passing the ball, and make Pryor/Wells beat them. And Texas was 2nd in the nation in run defense, allowing only 73 yds/game.

Texas LBers Kindle, Muckelroy and Bobino are fast, have excellent range and, swarm to the ball. And DE Spikes worries me. I just feel that Texas' defense will pressure/force Pryor to get rid of the ball before he can scan the field and locate the open man.

I really hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling we are going to struggle to put points on the board, and our defense will wear down as the game progresses.

Far more importantly, the stingy Ohio State run defense doesn't match up particularly well with the read-option attack Texas employs. And I don't think the Buck's defensive line has that dominant pass-rusher to pressure McCoy, who also has a very quick release.

I think when it's all said and done you're looking at a 38-17 game Texas.

I hope I'm wrong.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Predictions

I think you pretty well nailed it GAC. OSU seems to have problems with mobile QBs like McCoy. Their only hope is if Texas is down after being passed over for the NC game.

If we're wrong, I'll tip my cap to them. If OSU proves us right then it'll again show how OSU's record continues to be indicative of a weak Big Ten rather than an excellent football team.

I wouldn't be worried about Spikes as much as I would be worried about Orapko.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think we might see Todd Boeckman. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, but they could certainly get creative with their two quarterbacks if they wanted to, since Pryor is so athletic.

That's about the only prediction I can make though, I really have no idea. Just about anything could happen tomorrow night and I wouldn't be surprised.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

For a Level Playing Field

Texas 38 - OSU 13

Coming from a die-hard Buckeyes fan. Hope I am wrong!

Texas will win by 30

We know Beanie will be ready for his last game played in a Buckeye uniform. Unfortunately for him Pryor will not be up to the task as he will committ a few key and costly mistakes.

Hook em horns! Texas 27 OSU 13
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I see something similar to this year's Rose Bowl happening in this game, minus the second half letdown. The Big Ten is down and UT has something to prove. Good luck Buckeyes, but this one could get ugly fast

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Utah beat Alabama which makes me cautiously optimistic that tOSU could win, but I also know that the Buckeyes are not favored in this game so I'm not as upbeat about anything as I would have been in the past. I'll keep cheering for the Buckeyes because they're my team but I'm all ready nervous about watching this game tomorrow.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I think it's a bad matchup for the Bucs. It's all going to depend on Beanie. If he can run the ball effectively, they have a chance. If the Texas D stops Beanie, Pryor isn't capable of moving the ball by himself. And Texas has too many weapons on offense to think they're not going to put up points. I don't think they'll run roughshod, but they'll put up enough points to make the Bucks offense have to keep up.

Worst case scenario is Tressel does his typical nothing but off-tackle the first few drives and it's a bunch of 3-4 play drives followed by Texas scoring drives. They can't fall behind big early, and the way Tressel calls plays, it's entirely possible.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm surprisingly not worried about Texas's offense. They don't have much of a running game and I think the Buckeye defense will be don fine against a one-dimensional attack. However, like others have said, I don't think the Buckeye offense will move move the ball much without an effective ground assualt. I see Texas in control for most of the game until Boeckman comes in later to tack on a TD or two. I'll say 27-20 Texas over Ohio State...

Turn Off Ads?