Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Opinion....Andruw Jones LF Reds

Gary Redus Ruled

My Opinion....Andruw Jones LF Reds

Well the Dodgers are about to cut him loose. If the Reds offer him a starting gig in left batting cleanup im thinking he comes cheap on a one year deal to re-establish himself. While I dont advise it..it just reeks Reds all over it. At worse he sucksfor 2 months and you just go with Hopper and Dickerson platoon. At best the gamble pays off and he blasts 30 homers: Not likely but its a Reds type move:thumbdown
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Opinion....Andruw Jones LF Reds

I was just talking about this possibility with my brother the other day. If they could get him for next to nothing it would be a risk I wouldn't be against the Reds taking. However I'm sure it would be very unpopular here at Redszone.

Andruw Jones hit .158 last year with 3 home runs. The previous season he hit a whopping .222. Putting him in the middle of the Reds order would be worse than Patterson He may make a comeback, but let it be someplace else where they have money to throw away if he continues to play the same. He has show a decline in each of his last three years and I thought his real age was in question. I don't mind taking a chance on a player that is coming off a bad year but I want no part of an aging player with 3 consecutive seasons of declining production.

Gary Redus Ruled

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Andruw Jones hit .158 last year with 3 home runs. The previous season he hit a whopping .222. Putting him in the middle of the Reds order would be worse than Patterson He may make a comeback, but let it be someplace else where they have money to throw away if he continues to play the same. He has show a decline in each of his last three years and I thought his real age was in question. I don't mind taking a chance on a player that is coming off a bad year but I want no part of an aging player with 3 consecutive seasons of declining production.
    Im totally in agreement however if hes just cut loose and comes cheap (word is he's getting millions for his release) it just reeks of a Reds gamble.
    Hoping for another Reds October

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Jocketty, sans the Tavares signing (which I am actually quite comfortable with, except the year 2 money) is not the prototypical Reds GM. No way he signs Andruw. None. This guy has actually won on a very consistent basis elsewhere, which none of our 3 former GM's have ever done.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I totally agree. I would much rather he try to re-establish himself somewhere else...the Reds already have their share of question marks going into the season.

You might have found someone worse than Corey Patterson and Willy Taveras

I saw Jones on a regular basis last year, when he was in the lineup, and I can assure you that he is completely finished as a major league player.

The reason why he only had around 200 AB's is that the Dodgers refused to play him, he was that horrible. They put him on the disabled list, but that was just a face saving move and everyone knew it, he was not injure at all, they just needed an excuse to keep him off the diamond.

His swing and his batting eye were a complete mess. He swung at everything and almost never made good contact, if he made contact at all. Remember how bad Phillips looked last year on breaking balls away? That was Jones on every swing, no matter where or what it was. Seriously, after watching his swing night in and night out, I was amazed he hit as high as .158. That was a very lucky .158!

And to make matters worse, he was just average in CF. He was overweight, and sluggish. He was nothing like he was when he was in Atlanta.

Trust me, I would much rather have Corey Patterson that Andruw Jones. Even if he paid the Reds $10M to play, I would say no. He is done.

I would wipe last year out of consideration, it was just a bad thing for him and the Dodgers. In 2007 he had a horrible BA and a horrible OBP, but he did manage to drive in quite a few runs. Even with his real age in question, he can't be but any older than 35, he is currently 31 right now. He has played quite a few years in the bigs which could have worn him down. If we could somehow get him on a deal with a weight clause in his contract it might be worth looking into if it's fairly cheap, after all the worst case scenario is he still sucks and we cut him. His weight is listed at 240, on a 6-1 frame, which is just huge for someone like him.

But I am really hoping we have better options.

If we don't have to pay much or guarantee anything then it wouldn't hurt to bring him to ST. He's probably washed up, but if doesn't hurt the payroll and he needs somewhere to play they could give him a chance to win a job. I'd say he could be more productive than Taveras if he's in shape.

You've already brought in 1 option whos arguably worse than the in house options COULD be. Why bring a guy in that you know for a fact is worst than the in house options? I'd rather have Sosa or Bonds at this point, you might get positive production out of them. Jones is overweight and not hit his weight in 2 years. Both Bonds and Sosa worst case scenarios is Sosa or Bonds could be the best hitter off the bench in the majors.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Jocketty, sans the Tavares signing (which I am actually quite comfortable with, except the year 2 money) is not the prototypical Reds GM. No way he signs Andruw. None. This guy has actually won on a very consistent basis elsewhere, which none of our 3 former GM's have ever done.
    My fear with Jocketty, and this is probably just paranoia fueled by having most of my brain cells destroyed through years of losing and the accompanying bouts with grain alcohol, is that he did a great job of constructing the type of team LaRussa wanted in St. Louis and now he'll do a great job of constructing the kind of team Dusty Baker wants in Cincinnati.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 01-03-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I would like to see us pick up Jones assuming we will be able to sign him to an incentive laden deal with a 1 million base salary with incentives leading it into the 10 million dollar range.

My incentives would include:

1) Weight management
    2) PA (500)
    3) OPS (.825)
    4) GG bonus (1 million)

I think the biggest key with Jones will be the weight management. His prime years (age 28/29) Jones OPS+ 136 and 126 then his last year with the braves he went homerun happy in his contract year and OPS+88. Last year he gained one billion pounds in his gut and was virtually asked to refund his paycheck.

If his weight gets back to normal and we only sign Jones for his age 32 year and stipulate how it is necessary for him to maintain body we could benefit from a resurgence in LF. With the contract with a base of only 1 million we could easily eat the it, if he continues on his same route. Plus playing in the friendly confines of GASP could cause a boost in his SLG... theoretically.

my .02

Low risk possible huge reward

It appears Andruw Jones is done as a Dodger
    Lori Shepler / Los Angeles Times

Is there room enough in the outfield for both Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez? The Dodgers restructured Jones' contract to possibly make room for the free-agent slugger's salary.
    The Dodgers have agreed to trade or release Jones in exchange for his deferring much of the $22 million remaining on his contract.
    By Bill Shaikin
    January 3, 2009
    Andruw Jones and the Dodgers? One and done.

The Dodgers have agreed to trade or release Jones in exchange for his deferring much of the $22 million remaining on his contract, a baseball source said Friday.
    The deal is expected to shave $12 million from the Dodgers' 2009 payroll and cut Jones' salary next season to about $5 million. If the Dodgers cannot trade him, even at that discounted salary, then Jones can ask for his release before spring training, the source said.

The Dodgers could apply the savings toward a new offer to Manny Ramirez, but that negotiation is independent of this deal.

The Dodgers offered Ramirez two years and $45 million in November but have since withdrawn the offer. They have resumed talks with agent Scott Boras, who also represents Jones, as well as explored outfield alternatives in Bobby Abreu and Adam Dunn.

The discussions on Jones' contract predated the resumption of the Ramirez talks, said two sources, each of whom declined to be identified since the Dodgers have not announced the restructured deal for Jones.

The revised deal frees up cash for the Dodgers while enabling Jones to play elsewhere and try to rebuild his value before free agency next year.

The National League West champions have cut their player payroll from $119 million on opening day last season to a projected $65 million next season, pending any signings.

The Dodgers signed Jones last winter to be their big bat, but he hit .158 with three home runs in 75 games. The five-time All-Star reported to camp significantly overweight, endured boos from opening day on, underwent knee surgery in May, ended the season on the bench and then asked to be traded.

However, even at his new low salary, interested teams could wait to see if the Dodgers release him instead.

The Dodgers then would owe all but the minimum $400,000 salary.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,3865651.story
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose.

-Pete Rose

No thanks. Ugh.

Turn Off Ads?