Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCS Title Game Predictions

Re: BCS Title Game Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    If what you are saying is aimed at me,
    Well, itreally wasn't "aimed" at anyone. One of the downsides to this medium of interaction, is that no one can tell the tone in which things are being typed. I was expressing an observation that I see not just here, but all over. And I was offering a different viewpoint.

I, too, think Florida will win because they're better.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mwm - I think I just have problems following your logic. No offense intended.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

MWM, I agree with both of your last two posts. I do think the SEC was down this year, and were a two team league. I even think that Alabama was overrated, they played in a division in which Auburn, LSU, and Arkansas were well off of their traditional play. But, I also think that the Big 12 love fest is slightly unwarranted.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Well, itreally wasn't "aimed" at anyone. One of the downsides to this medium of interaction, is that no one can tell the tone in which things are being typed. I was expressing an observation that I see not just here, but all over. And I was offering a different viewpoint.

I, too, think Florida will win because they're better.
    No problem, I just thought you were talking about my comment. I too grow loathsome of conference commentary. In my opinion bowl records of the conferences are worthless measures of conference quality. It is all about the matchups. Georgia Tech - LSU is a perfect example. GT could not have picked a worse matchup for their offense. Same goes for Florida State - Wisconsin. Wisconsin happened to get the worst matchup for them. Florida State is big enough to matchup with Wisconsin, and fast enough to be real trouble. Any other ACC team outside of Miami, and they are going to be evenly matched.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Mwm - I think I just have problems following your logic. No offense intended.
    Well, I didn't think i was offering up any logic. I was more objecting to the logic of using conference strength at the expense of other things in comparing individual teams. When it comes to the college football system, I don't think there really is a lot of logic involved. I was also pointing out how you can't logically do the whole exercise of trying to look at who beat whom with a couple of degrees of separation in assessing a bowl matchup.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

True. But it is what we're left with. Plus it's fun. Especially as an sec fan.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Yes, but even the SEC can get screwed (see Jason Campbell's Auburn team).

I think some perspective is needed here. I'm reading on this board and all over the internet about how much of a shocker Ole Miss pulled off beating Texas Tech, and make no mistake it was an upset. But, it's not like Mississippi was some 6-6 Notre Dame team going to a bowl on reputation alone. This was an 8 win team ranked in the Top 25 and who was 2nd in the SEC West. All four of their losses were by a combined 19 points and every team they lost to wound up going to a bowl. Texas Tech was out of gas and Mississippi just outplayed them because they are flat out good. Don't believe me? The #1 ranked Florida has lost just one game this year.

They lost to Ole Miss.

Oklahoma 56
    Florida 24

I have to admit that I was quite impressed, and gained new found respect, for Utah after their manhandling of Alabama.

And I say the same for Ol' Miss too. Not only did they beat Florida, but even in their four losses, to quality teams, they played them tough.

The Oklahoma-Florida game is not going to be a low scoring affair IMO. I wish it was played in a more "neutral" site other then in Florida though. C'est la vie!

Two very good QBs, and two very high-powered offenses, matched up in this one. I can easily see 70+ pts total, maybe even more then 80, being scored in this one. It's gonna be a race IMO.

Offensively - Oklahoma is superior to Florida. And that is not saying Florida is a slouch. Defensively - Florida is the only one that has a semblance of possessing one.

But I don't believe the Gator's defense can contain Iglesias, Gresham, Johnson, and Broyles. I don't see where they've faced an offense even remotely similar to the Sooner's. The loss of Murray hurts the Sooners, but I think Brown and Bradford will pick up the slack. They are just that talented IMO.

I'm not going to take an Oklahoma team lightly that scored at least 58 points in each of its last six games, winning by an average of 33.3 points. I also remember throughout the course of the season where Texas Tech and Oklahoma State were touted as a couple of the best teams in the country, and both got POUNDED by Oklahoma.

When I look at Florida's schedule, I'm just not as impressed by their wins and opponents. A good, sound football team for sure; but there is something about them that I just can't put my finger on.

I say the Sooners win...45-38

And have I mentioned I don't like Urban Meyers.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-04-2009 at 05:48 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Here is my analogy for picking CFB games. I think we can probably all agree that the AL East is the division with the best teams (=SEC). Next would come either the NL East or Central (=Big 12). Finally, you have the NL West (=MWC). I would tend to value 95 wins in the AL East over 95 wins in the NL East, which I would value over 95 wins in the NL West. The NL West team can absolutely win against an AL East team, but I'm not going to be likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. It is an elitist approach, but CFB has ALWAYS been an elitist sport. ALWAYS.

No offense to the little guys, but in CFB, I want to see OSU v. Miami, USC v. Texas, etc...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    They won it in 1920, 1921, and 1922.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div...nal_champs.php
    Hmmm.... One of our sources is grossly inaccurate.

Here is one that I looked at earlier:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c..._national.html

This might involve some deeper investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Hmmm.... One of our sources is grossly inaccurate.

Here is one that I looked at earlier:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c..._national.html

This might involve some deeper investigation

Back in the day, the titles were handed out by an alphabet soup of organizations. Multiple teams lay claim to the title in multiple years. For a true count of National Titles it needs to be the Associated Press title, which isn't even part of the current equation.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Florida beats the Sooners in Bob Stoops last game as head coach 31-20.

Personally I think USC is the best team in the country and until we get a better system than the BCS all we will have is debate and speculation on who is number #1.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?