Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about this?

How about this?

Bring Alonso to spring training and give him a legitimate shot to make the major league roster this year. I am relatively certain he THINKS he is ready. How long is the club going to have a rotation as good as this one? The window on that part of the team starts closing rapidly if we deal Arroyo for a hitter, or if Harang doesn't survive Dusty, or if any of a number of things start to erode that current "commodity". The stated possibility of our GM that Hairston could open the season as the left fielder is a humorless joke. Frankly, I don't care about Yonder Alonso's psyche or whether he can handle the gargantuan jump from college baseball to the majors. He gave up those considerations when he worked his deal with the Reds. He big leagued this team during negotiations after he was drafted, and got his big league contract. So, wouldn't it be fair to ask him to put up the type of performance to justify that money?

Miguel Cabrera made this type of jump. Junior did it at a much earlier age. Hanley Ramirez. Barry Bonds. GREAT players, yes. But, Alonso negotiated as if he deserved to eat at the same table as these guys. In fact, I think he DID eat at the same table as Alex Rodriguez when pondering the Reds generous offer.

And so, we need him to "put up" in extraordinary fashion. Having a breakthrough season by a hitter of his reported calibre would be better than anything that is available on the free agent market, or trade. Keep our pitching and add what we can between here and opening day, but give Votto a left fielder's glove and try to get the best lineup we can on the field right now. The window is already closing before it even opened for this team to compete.

A small market team in this financial climate seems to need the absurd and impossible to happen to win. As absurd as it seems, I would give Yonder a chance to play on this team right now.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 01-04-2009 at 01:27 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: How about this?

So lets pretend Yonder does hit well enough to make the team.... what do you do with Votto? You aren't going to put either on the bench are you?

I thought he said votto to left?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Maybe I missed it the first time I read through? It is late... can I use that excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So lets pretend Yonder does hit well enough to make the team.... what do you do with Votto? You aren't going to put either on the bench are you?

If Alonso were to kick down the door, I'd say we'd see a Votto experiment in LF. Seeng as how he hasn't seen any pitching above High A (and not much of that), I can't see Alonso starting the season anywhere but Carolina, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be in Cincy by July with a hot enough start. Don't be shocked if Alonso gets some early Carolina starts in LF too.

I think they will move him quickly if warranted since he already has the major league deal.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-04-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Okay, I guess what I am really saying is open camp with every intention of putting Alonso at first and Votto in left no matter what Alonso does... short of having an emotional breakdown that requires medical attention. As far as I am concerned, the kid intends to use the Reds as a springboard to a contract that this team will never be able to afford. He wants to be paid like a man, so treat him like one.

nm
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-04-2009 at 01:53 AM.

This probably means very little, but if Alonso became the regular first baseman, instead of getting paid the $1 million he's due in 2012, he would probably elect for arbitration, which would most likely pay him significantly more. From a financial point of view, it would make a lot of sense for the Reds to wait until a couple months after the season started to make him the regular first baseman to make sure he avoids being a 'super two' player.

I have a strange feeling that Alonso, if he makes it, won't be long for Cincy. This kid really has the dollar signs in his eyes.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have a strange feeling that Alonso, if he makes it, won't be long for Cincy. This kid really has the dollar signs in his eyes.
    ah, don't be so grim.

if we're lucky, he'll be sub-mediocre and won't want to leave.

Alonso is already on the 40-man roster, so he will be at Spring Training this year.

I've always thought that the Reds drafted Alonso to be a Matt LaPorta-type "insurance policy" that they could trade in for some other need, like the Brewers did to pick up C.C. I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso never plays a game in a Reds uniform.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    . This kid really has the dollar signs in his eyes.

So what? Even if true, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Alonso is already on the 40-man roster, so he will be at Spring Training this year.

I've always thought that the Reds drafted Alonso to be a Matt LaPorta-type "insurance policy" that they could trade in for some other need, like the Brewers did to pick up C.C. I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso never plays a game in a Reds uniform.
    I agree. It was a move where they saw a guy who was a virtual sure thing to be a major league caliber hitter. He might not have been the highest ceiling guy available, but he's a reliable asset that will provide value in a trade, if not in a Reds uniform.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    So what? Even if true, so what?
    Right. We still get him for 6 years like everyone else, so its really not relevant.

I don't think Alonso will be traded. I think the Reds viewed him as the best available talent, a guy with a chance to be an impact bat fairly soon. I think he'll be our starting first baseman in 2010 with Joey Votto moving to left field.

Turn Off Ads?