Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gruden Fired

Gruden Fired

Bet he would take the UT job now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gruden Fired

I would've much rather had Gruden than Kiffin if I were a UT fan.

Oh for sure Lane is a joke, I went to Tennessee for a bit and the people I still stay in contact with all think Lane is the 2nd coming!!!

I don't think Gruden is interested in going to the college ranks. I would imagine he will head to a nice cushy analyst job and than take big dollars to come back to a team in need in a few yrs.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I don't think Gruden is interested in going to the college ranks. I would imagine he will head to a nice cushy analyst job and than take big dollars to come back to a team in need in a few yrs.
    I remember, prior to the Buckeyes hiring Tressel, there was a lot of "Gruden to the Buckeyes" talk. I always thought that was kind of absurd. The guy has coached in the NFL, and been very succesful in the NFL. Those kind of guys very rarely decide to go to the college level and make a living.

I would love to know what sort of contract he could have gotten at UT. I bet they would have paid him like an NFL coach.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I would love to know what sort of contract he could have gotten at UT. I bet they would have paid him like an NFL coach.
    I agree with you. And I think that makes very little sense. They would have had no idea how his coaching would translate to the college level. Dealing with boosters, recruiting 24/7 365 days a year, etc. It's just a different ball game.

Anyone think maybe just maybe (and I may just be dreaming) ...

This opens up Gruden to go back to Oakland? Where he would be the best hiring since... well Jon Gruden?

I wonder what was the final straw with the Glazers and why it took them 3 weeks after the end of the year to fire him.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Was Jay Gruden on Jon's staff? I wouldn't mind Jay back at his alma mater if he's even half the coach his brother is.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I wonder what was the final straw with the Glazers and why it took them 3 weeks after the end of the year to fire him.
    As a Bucs fan, given the rumors that they're turning the team over to Raheem Morris, I see the situation as thus:

1.) Glazers felt the franchise was stagnating - and they wouldn't be wrong on this one. The team is starting to resemble the Dungy squads that were just good enough to make the playoffs and get knocked out in Rd. 1 without a whimper.

2.) Gruden & Allen didn't have a plan they liked to rebuild the franchise.

3.) Glazers see Mike Tomlin (young former Bucs assistant) succeeding in Pittsburgh and don't want to see Raheem Morris leave the organization the same way.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Hey, don't sell this guy short. He always got first dibs on Child's Play 27.

Could he replace Charlie Wiess at Notre Dame after next season?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    As a Bucs fan, given the rumors that they're turning the team over to Raheem Morris, I see the situation as thus:

1.) Glazers felt the franchise was stagnating - and they wouldn't be wrong on this one. The team is starting to resemble the Dungy squads that were just good enough to make the playoffs and get knocked out in Rd. 1 without a whimper.

2.) Gruden & Allen didn't have a plan they liked to rebuild the franchise.

3.) Glazers see Mike Tomlin (young former Bucs assistant) succeeding in Pittsburgh and don't want to see Raheem Morris leave the organization the same way.
    What I have been hearing on ESPN radio, apparently Gruden got into a heated exchange with Joel Glazer and that is what led to his dismissal. He said the magic word that led him to the unemployment line.

I think Tampa needs to go in a new direction overall anyways. One thing I have always liked about Gruden is that he seems to get the best out of any QB that he has ever coached. Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia off the top of my head. Too bad Chris Simms never panned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

True, Gruden always got the most out of the QBs under his watch, but he was so mercurial in his handling of them that it was difficult for the team to develop any stability under center.

Brad Johnson wins a Super Bowl and is cast aside after 1 more season.

Bruce Gradkowski is given the chance to play as a rookie because Gruden wants to develop him, then is tossed aside for Jeff Garcia less than a season later.

Garcia leads the team to the playoffs and is benched the next season after 1 mediocre game vs. New Orleans.

Stuff like that wears on the fans, had to wear on the owners and players too I imagine.

The other point that needs to be made re: Tampa Bay is the new hire of Raheem Morris as head coach. Dude is 32 years old -- I think Derrick Brooks has awards on his shelf that are older than him. He has never been a coordinator anywhere in the NFL before and his resume is really paper thin.

Really a strange move for the Glazers and the franchise on this one. Very much akin to the Raiders hiring the underqualified Lane Kiffin 2 years ago.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I really don't get this one. If you don't like the direction Gruden is taking the team, promoting an assistant isn't going to give you any kind of culture change. It's just weird.

Turn Off Ads?