Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Carroll

Pete Carroll

Anyone else disturbed by the way Pete Carroll handled the Mark Sanchez situation? It's one thing to disagree with the kid, but to throw a temper tantrum and not even support him at his press conference is a disgrace. The kid was there 4 years, earned a degree, what more could you ask for? He's likely to be a top 10 pick, maybe the top overall depending on how he does at the combine compared to Stafford.

Carroll is a very successful coach. Too bad he can't be more of a class act when things don't go his way.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete Carroll

He's a big crybaby. WAHHHH.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He's a big crybaby. WAHHHH.
    Could you imagine Tressel doing that to Beanie? Or Meyer doing that to Tebow? Or Stoops to Bradford? It's just absurd. It REALLY makes him and that program look bad. Of course it's not going to influence the bottom line, which is W's, but I lost some respect for him over the situation.

It may hurt recruiting, as the national media will take this and run with it, as will rival coaches. (I can imagine Nueheisel showin Carroll's comments via YouTube to the next West Coast QB of the future.)

But, really, do recruits go to USC for Carroll or for the girls, beaches, and lifestyle? It might be the best of all worlds, collegiately.

I don't see where Pete Carroll did anything wrong. But since it's Pete Carroll we'll never hear the end of it. In the past Pete Carroll has urged players to leave early if he thinks they are ready. If he doesn't think they're ready then he lets them know. That's what any good coach does. Very few players have gone against Carroll's advice. The last player I remember to do so was Mike Williams and look how he turned out. BTW, I agree with Carroll's assessment. I don't think Sanchez is quite ready for the NFL yet.

But, it's Pete Carroll so we'll just make a big deal out of nothing.

I'll take a crybaby over the cheaters in the SEC.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-17-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't see where Pete Carroll did anything wrong. But since it's Pete Carroll we'll never hear the end of it. In the past Pete Carroll has urged players to leave early if he thinks they are ready. If he doesn't think they're ready then he lets them know. That's what any good coach does. Very few players have gone against Carroll's advice. The last player I remember to do so was Mike Williams and look how he turned out. BTW, I agree with Carroll's assessment. I don't think Sanchez is quite ready for the NFL yet.

But, it's Pete Carroll so we'll just make a big deal out of nothing.

I'll take a crybaby over the cheaters in the SEC.
    Well, he may not be ready, but he's arguably more ready than any other QB coming out. He's been in school 4 years, will graduate with a communications degree, and could very well be the #1 pick in the draft, so I think it's the right move. I can understand Carroll being upset with him ignoring his device, but I think he still should have handled it better at the press conference.

And yeah, stupid SEC cheaters

I'm not a scout, but I thought Sanchez threw a nice ball during the Rose Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm not a scout, but I thought Sanchez threw a nice ball during the Rose Bowl.
    That was probably the best game of his career. Overall, he had a great season but he also had a couple down games mixed in. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll turn into a very good pro QB but I also think another year of college wouldn't have hurt him. I think he was pretty much set on returning to school until Bradford decided to stay. Instead of him being the 2/3rd best QB in the draft, that moves him up to one or two.

Stafford is another guy who I thought could have used another year of school to work on some things.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-17-2009 at 01:17 AM.

With Tebow and Bradford staying in college it was probably a smart move to go pro this year. Will help him in the draft IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think he "wasn't ready" because he was the best option for USC at QB, but thats just me.

The kid only has one of these and it's less than kind to sit there, pout during the announcement, then tell reporters how you disagreed with the kid's decision.

I'm okay with Carroll disagreeing, but I think he should have waited until after Sanchez's day to say something.

This does nothing to help USC or Carroll and only does damage. How little damage depends on media and other coaches, including those that cheat in the SEC. (And the Big 10, and the Pac 10, and the ACC, and the Big East, and the Big XII, and the... you get the picture.)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I think he "wasn't ready" because he was the best option for USC at QB, but thats just me.
    Nah. USC has two good QBs behind him in Aaron Corp and Mitch Mustain, plus Matt Barkley who Scout has as the #1 QB in the country. It wasn't about that. I think Carroll saw some inconsistency in the middle of the season figured another year of school would help him.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-17-2009 at 12:11 PM.

I know you're a big USC fan, OBM, and I wasn't trying to insult your school, I just think that even if a coach disagrees with a player's decision to go pro, he should at least publicly give that player as much support as possible to help his draft stock as much as anything else.

I mean, Sanchez gave Carroll and USC 4 years of hard work and dedication in the classroom and on the practice field. Carroll should have done the same in turn for Sanchez on his "big day."

OBM, don't let the Haters get you down. Another non-issue from the Pac 10 bashers in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    OBM, don't let the Haters get you down. Another non-issue from the Pac 10 bashers in the forum.
    Haha, I'm a Big 10 fan my friend, I would never hate on another conference, I know the feeling

It has nothing to do with any dislike for USC. I respect the hell out of USC, they've built a monster that nobody outside of Florida can rival.

But what Carroll did was wrong. It's ok to disagree with him, maybe he's right. But at the press conference, once Sanchez had officially made his decision, he should have done a better job supporting him. That's all I'm saying.

Turn Off Ads?