Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training worth the trip?

Spring Training worth the trip?

I'm thinking of making the trip down to Sarasota to catch some spring games since this is the last year in Fla. I'm curious to hear from those who've gone.

What's the best time to arrive to get autographs?

Can you see any of the team workouts?

What time of day are the workouts / BP if they're playing a 1:00 game?

What's your general impression of Ed Smith stadium and the whole experience?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training worth the trip?

Yes, it is defenitly worth the trip. Spend the little bit extra and get good seats. They generally aren't expensive at all. Get there as early as possible. I got to the fields around 8:30 AM, for a noon or one o'clock game. You can see all the minor leaguers working out, unless they have a game somewhere. Sometimes you see intersquad games with minor league players. I was lucky enough that I got to the training fields in time to see some of the Major League players taking BP. Bronson was nice enough to talk to me for a couple minutes, and I got his autograph. I got 17 autographs the first day. You can get plenty of good players. When I was there, I got Hamilton, Phillips, Arroyo, Stubbs, Bruce, and Cueto.

The stadium was great. It's been a couple years for me, but it was a tremendous experience. It was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen when somebody asked if they could get ketchup on a cheese coney.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

not in this economy.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I am trying to plan to go but trying to find someone to go with me is quite the trouble

With the kids and school the earliest I can get down there is the final week after the roster has been trimmed. Is there still stuff going on in the mornings that late in spring?

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Bip, I would love to go with ya--but probably couldnt get the time off. I havent been to ST since the Plant City days....but I remember loving it. Especially being able to hit not only Plant City, but Lakeland, Kississimee and Orlando...It was a blast...

This year will make 9 of the last 10 for me, Already got my trip booked. It will sadly be my last I'd say. I have the advantage of a brother living in the Ft. Myers area, where the Twins, Bosox, and Rays are, and only 1.5 hrs from Sarasota. If you want autographs, as someone suggested pay for good seats ( on whichever side the Reds are on), and get there early. 3 years ago I had my 20 something daughters with me, No problem getting players attention! Yeah, that's right, I pimped my girls! This worked both in Sarasota and Ft. Myers. If you get to the Bosox stadium-City of the Palms, when the game is over, the Reds exit the clubhouse down the 1st base line, right on the street sidewalk. Only the elitist ignore the fans. I get many autographs there.

BTW, if you are interested in more than Reds autographs, Twins definately are the fan-friendliest, even Morneau, Mauer, and Hunter (when he was there).

It is worth every penny. There are typically a lot of minor league games/workouts going on at the practice fields. I would even go at 10 in the morning to watch them workout, then just hang around for the 1:00 game. Some major leaguers are even working out sometimes with the minor leaguers and you can get autographs there as well. Batting practice is a good time at Ed Smith also. Last year I stood down the right field line and Joe Nathan (closer for the Twins) was hanging out down there talking to the fans and giving autographs. Marty usually walks down the line with Thom also (they did last year). I would say go early in the spring as it doesn't seem to be quite as crowded then. I guess the players hang out at Fin Daddy's a lot, but I never went. I will miss Florida for spring training (my wife's great aunt lives about 2 miles from the ballpark) but the good thing is my cousin lives about 30 minutes from Goodyear and she's already offered up her place for my dad and I to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    This year will make 9 of the last 10 for me, Already got my trip booked. It will sadly be my last I'd say. I have the advantage of a brother living in the Ft. Myers area, where the Twins, Bosox, and Rays are, and only 1.5 hrs from Sarasota. If you want autographs, as someone suggested pay for good seats ( on whichever side the Reds are on), and get there early. 3 years ago I had my 20 something daughters with me, No problem getting players attention! Yeah, that's right, I pimped my girls! This worked both in Sarasota and Ft. Myers. If you get to the Bosox stadium-City of the Palms, when the game is over, the Reds exit the clubhouse down the 1st base line, right on the street sidewalk. Only the elitist ignore the fans. I get many autographs there.

BTW, if you are interested in more than Reds autographs, Twins definately are the fan-friendliest, even Morneau, Mauer, and Hunter (when he was there).
    Never say never gedred Phoenix is a pretty interesting place and easy to get to.

Pitchers and catchers report in :

26 days/ 22 hours/ 37 minutes

Oh Yeah !

I would love to go to one in any economy when I get the chance to... maybe when I retire from working... far into the future... Lord willing

They are fun to go to. I am planning on going just hope my friend can go first week of March starting the second.

I went down to Sarasota last year and I had an incredible time. Everything was so laid back and the players were willing to talk and joke around with the fans. David Ross even stood by the fence to get some pictures taken with fans after one of his at bats in the AA/High A inter-squad scrimmage. I plan on going down again this year for a long weekend or something. I hope they can keep the same laid back feel when they move to Arizona.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by timothy1 View Post
    I would love to go to one in any economy when I get the chance to... maybe when I retire from working... far into the future... Lord willing
    Hey thats what tax refunds are for.

I am going mainly to see Boston and Yankees, and the last game in Sarasota with the Pittsburgh. With no hope this year at least I will get a tan.
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?