Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

Re: 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

March 9: Game 2 of the 1976 World Series, when the Reds' beat the Yankees 4-3 at Riverfront Stadium on Oct. 17, 1976.
    I was lucky enough to be at this one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wonder if our titanic offense will produce any classic games for next year's rendition of this series.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Gowdy was the same way back in 75' with the Sox.

I can only imagine the uproar from ESPN had it existed in 75' an 76'.

Trust me, Rizutto is 100 times worse than Gowdy. You could tell Gowdy liked the Sox but he didn't openly root for them although he nearly cried when Yaz flied out to end the series.
    Yeah the commentary for both the 75 and 76 series were very anti-Cincy, but 76 was worse.

Is it any different than today, you see a clip of a pitcher getting K's it will usually be against the Reds. etc...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It's funny you guys are talking about this. A coworker and I were discussing Al Michaels' career with the Reds the other day and he doesn't remember the Bench HR call in 1972 and I have searched up and down the internet a thousand times over and cannot find a clip of that call. I figured it would be a simple Youtube search but I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts, if anyone knows where I might find it, I would be very greatful...
    You mentioning Al Michaels career with the Reds reminds of a story they had on Michaels on Real Sports a few nights back. He has become one of the biggest national broadcasters but his whole career was made on just a few chances to do big events.

He was a local broadcaster in Hawaii when the Reds hired him in 1972. Back then for the World Series instead of just using national broadcasters they would pair a national broadcaster like Curt Gowdy up with the local broadcasters from the teams involved. So when the Reds make the World Series in 1972 Al Michaels is paired up with Curt Gowdy and gets introduced to a national audience which then got him a job with ABC.

Then his famous "Do you believe in Miracles" call in the 1980 Olympics again is just made possible by getting a chance to even call hockey in those Olympics. The only reason he got the hockey assignment at all is when ABC was looking at their whole roster of announcers no one else had ever called a hockey game. Michaels years before had announced one hockey game. Because he had one more than anyone else he got the assignment and was there to make the famous call of the USA-USSR hockey game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It's funny you guys are talking about this. A coworker and I were discussing Al Michaels' career with the Reds the other day and he doesn't remember the Bench HR call in 1972 and I have searched up and down the internet a thousand times over and cannot find a clip of that call. I figured it would be a simple Youtube search but I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts, if anyone knows where I might find it, I would be very greatful...

Here it is Bench HR

Al Michaels in awesome. His time with the Reds was well before I was born, but I've had the privilege of hearing some of his calls and all of them are special. The Johnny Bench homer that woy (thanks woy) linked to and the call of the wild pitch that scored Foster to win the 1972 NLCS are two of my favorites. His call of Dave Henderson's homer in the 1986 ALCS is also a favorite of mine. It's a shame he doesn't announce baseball anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bench HR
    Makes a very cool ring tone.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Here it is Bench HR
    Bless your heart and all your other vital organs...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

BTTT I just thought I would this back up to the top. Another classic is on tonight.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Isn't this the game where Mickey Rivers said he was going to bunt for a base hit, (which he had successfully done all season,) and Pete played him about halfway down the third base line? I seem to recall Mickey going his way the first couple times and Pete threw him out. This was the Series where The Big Red Machine truly operated like a machine...Sparky never pinch hit or changed his lineup all series, 7 of the starting 8 batted over .300, and the team ERA was close to 2.00. And all in front of a national audience against Steinbrenner's first World Series team.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Me too. Up under the CF scoreboard at Riverfront so we couldn't see fly balls. And with Catfish pitching, the Reds hit a lot of fly balls. We had to watch where the Yankees OF were settling in to figure out where the balls were going.

I was also drunker than a skunk on 64 oz. Hudey tubs and colder than heck. That was the Bowie Kuhn shirtsleeves game.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Isn't this the game where Mickey Rivers said he was going to bunt for a base hit, (which he had successfully done all season,) and Pete played him about halfway down the third base line? I seem to recall Mickey going his way the first couple times and Pete threw him out. This was the Series where The Big Red Machine truly operated like a machine...Sparky never pinch hit or changed his lineup all series, 7 of the starting 8 batted over .300, and the team ERA was close to 2.00. And all in front of a national audience against Steinbrenner's first World Series team.
    Rose played so close to Rivers in that series he could smell his breathe.: He took the bunt away from Rivers. I think it was the last game, Rivers hit a line drive right at Rose, who caught it. Rose just gave him a look of "Gotcha!". Rivers,IIRC had a decent series overall. Hit about .300 but couldn't get a bunt down which was his trademark.
    The 1976 World Series was the pinnacle of The Big Red Machine.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Rivers,IIRC had a decent series overall. Hit about .300 but couldn't get a bunt down which was his trademark.
    You made me look it up. Mickey was 3-for-18 (.167, all singles) in the 1976 WS.

The Yankees team only had 5 extra base hits in the 4-game series. Thurman Munson was their leading hitter, 9-for-17 (.529), and all 9 of his hits were singles. Willie Randolph was a futile 1-for-14 (.071) in the series.

How times have changed... each team used only 3 relievers in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You made me look it up. Mickey was 3-for-18 (.167, all singles) in the 1976 WS.

The Yankees team only had 5 extra base hits in the 4-game series. Thurman Munson was their leading hitter, 9-for-17 (.529), and all 9 of his hits were singles. Willie Randolph was a futile 1-for-14 (.071) in the series.

How times have changed... each team used only 3 relievers in the series.
    Boy,did I remember wrong. Thanks for correcting me. The troubling thing about my memory is that I re-watched that entire series just this past summer. I think I'm ready for that memory transplant.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Tonight Game 7 of the 1975 World Series was on. I got a huge thrill out of watching the interviews at the end of the game. I wish I had taped that. Clay Carroll was as giddy as could be. I met him at Redsfest ... he's a super, super nice guy.

Next Monday is the Griffey #600 HR game.

Turn Off Ads?