Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

Re: 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

I caught a couple of late innings last night. I hadn't seen a replay, and I was surprised at how clearly some of the images came back. Jim Burton on the mound, Morgan's hit in the ninth--I remembered exactly how it looked before they showed it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watching that game, KNOWING the outcome, I still found myself with the same emotions, the anxiety of hanging on every pitch every AB as I did in 1975.

Ain't Baseball grand!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

REWIND: Tune in to FOX Sports Ohio on Monday, February 16 at 10 pm for the continuation of Reds Classic Rewinds. This Monday features the September 4, 1999 game, during which eight (8) different Reds hit nine (9) total home runs in the 22-3 win over the Phillies. This Rewind features the Phillies’ TV coverage along with announcers Harry Kalas, Chris Wheeler and Larry Andersen. This game was not originally on Cincinnati’s local or national television, so for Reds fans that weren’t able to see it, here is the chance to view this history-making game! Please note telecast time of this Reds Classic Rewind is at 10 pm, following the Columbus Blue Jackets game.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

I'm a Harry Kalas fan. Should be interesting.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Marty and Joe do 'Reds Rewind'

By John Kiesewetter • jkiesewetter@enquirer.com • February 24, 2009

Long-time Reds fans who turned down the TV sound to hear Marty and Joe call the game don’t need to do that on Monday’s “Reds Classic Rewind.”

Fox Sports Ohio has edited the Marty Brennaman-Joe Nuxhall Reds radio audio with NBC’s video of the deciding Game 3 of the 1976 Reds-Phillies National League Championship Series.

“To see this game, and hear Marty and Joe – the local Reds radio icons – it sends chills up your spine,” says Tom Farmer, Fox Sports Ohio vice president and executive producer.

Fox Sports Ohio fabricated the special telecast out of necessity, after learning that Major League Baseball archives only had NBC video of the Oct. 12, 1976 game. The radio broadcast was obtained from John Miley, a sports audio collector in Evansville, Ind.

The regional sports network wanted the game for its weekly winter Reds lineup because it was a classic example of the Big Red Machine’s power and speed.

Trailing 6-4 in the top of the ninth, George Foster and Johnnny Bench hit back-to-back home runs. Davey Concepcion scored the winning run from third when Ken Griffey Sr. beat out an infield chopper. The Reds were undefeated in the ’76 postseason, sweeping the Phillies and Yankees.

“You get to listen to Joe in his prime, and it’s great,” Farmer says. “He’s excited and yelling, ‘The Reds are going to the World Series!’ It was a match made in heaven.”

But they had a devil of a time synchronizing the two. The video and audio tapes were made at different speeds, so producer Tim Baker had to make an edit about every 10 seconds. It took five weeks to assemble the three-hour game.

“Tim took a lot of effort to make sure the crack of the bat on the audio matched the video,” Farmer says.

“There will be a few awkward moments. Sometimes NBC will show a replay that Marty and Joe don’t talk about. But you don’t miss any significant game action.”

The telecast, hosted by Jeff Piecoro, will include recent interviews with Brennaman, infielder Doug Flynn and pitcher Jack Billingham. Farmer says the one-of-a-kind game will be given to Major League Baseball, which premiered the MLB Network last month. Fox Sports Ohio also may repeat it at a later date, he says.

“You get to experience this as a brand new game. You know what’s going to happen, but now you get to see it while listening to Marty and Joe,” Farmer says. “We get great response from ‘Reds Classic Rewind,’ especially with the Big Red Machine. I think Reds fans will really love this.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...302240040/1071

I'm looking forward to that replay. It was a great game and tremendously exciting bottom of the 9th. It seemed the Reds were invincible.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I was afraid I had missed it. It is for next Monday, right?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I was afraid I had missed it. It is for next Monday, right?
    Yep. Here are the three remaining games:

March 2: Game 3 of the 1976 National League Championship Series, when the Reds sweep the Phillies at Riverfront Stadium on back-to-back ninth inning homers by George Foster and Johnny Bench on Oct. 12, 1976.

March 9: Game 2 of the 1976 World Series, when the Reds' beat the Yankees 4-3 at Riverfront Stadium on Oct. 17, 1976.

March 16: Game 4 of the 1976 World Series, when Johnny Bench's two homers power the Reds sweep of the Yankees 7-2 in Yankee Stadium on Oct. 21.

Thanks!

Watching last nights game reminded how biased the announcing was toward the Yankees, age, and time had erased that from my memory to a point.
    Also it was like Marty couldn't get a word in edgewise, and when he did say something it was like Joe and Tony ignored him. By the end of the game he was hardly even speaking.

There were some funny statements though that caught my ear. After Nettles wanted a hot water bottle to warm the bat handle, Joe says the out come of the game may depend on who had the best pharmacist.... Didn't know he was a prophet of things to come.

Also after Munson made a play on a foul near the dugout Joe says something to the effect of, Bench is know for his agility, but Munson just showed he's just as good if not a bit better than Bench in getting to those balls.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Billy Martin certainly made a fool of himself in the pre game interview. He said the Reds were good but not great. Billy was always good at that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Watching last nights game reminded how biased the announcing was toward the Yankees, age, and time had erased that from my memory to a point.
    Also it was like Marty couldn't get a word in edgewise, and when he did say something it was like Joe and Tony ignored him. By the end of the game he was hardly even speaking.

There were some funny statements though that caught my ear. After Nettles wanted a hot water bottle to warm the bat handle, Joe says the out come of the game may depend on who had the best pharmacist.... Didn't know he was a prophet of things to come.

Also after Munson made a play on a foul near the dugout Joe says something to the effect of, Bench is know for his agility, but Munson just showed he's just as good if not a bit better than Bench in getting to those balls.
    If you thought they were biased in this game wait until next week. Phil Rizutto joins them. That was as biased a telecast as you would ever see on a network.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yeah I recall that I was PO'd when it first broadcast. I was 16 then and thought ANYBODY could do a better job at broadcasting than the ones doing it. Course I wanted Marty and Joe to do it all!

Marty did some of the 75 Series, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Marty did some of the 75 Series, right?
    Yes,he did the middle three games in Cincy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?