Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cubbies still making moves....

RotoHester

Cubbies still making moves....

per MLBTradeRumors:

"Orioles Trade Olson For Pie
    By Steve Adams [January 18 at 1:10pm CST]
    Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Orioles have traded Garrett Olson and Class-A righthander Henry Williamson to the Cubs in exchange for Felix Pie.

Olson figures to slot in as a middle-reliever for the Cubs or as a fifth starter, depending on what role they have planned for Sean Marshall.

Pie could start off the 2009 season as a backup for all three outfield spots, according to Rosenthal. Rosenthal also suggests Pie playing left field, with Aubrey Huff manning first base and Luke Scott becoming a full-time DH. That idea seems to make more sense to me.

If Pie can realize any of his potential in a new setting, the Orioles will have one of the more talented young outfields in baseball"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubbies still making moves....

Would have liked to see the Reds pick up Pie, especially if all was needed was a middle reliever. He would have been a good low risk project.

RotoHester

same old situation. I would agree that taking a flyer on Pie would not have been bad, but would the Cubs have traded him within the division? It just seems like teams are very unwillling to make such a move these days.

I've never been impressed with Pie. I don't see him as any better than what we already have. I've only seen him play a few times and he has not impressed. Plus, his numbers are terrible.

Same old story. The Reds are terrible. There owner claims he wants to win now. They go out and make one trade that really does nothing and thats it. The next year comes and there stilll terrible. Every season the Reds make one move and nothing else. Dont they understand to win when your team is terrible you need 3 or 4 good transactions inthe off season not one so so move. So old story over and over.

If I hear Bob Cast. say one more time he wants to win now Im going to chew my face off. All we have heard since he became the owner is that he wants to win now and bring the Reds back to being the proud franchise they are. Its time for him to start producing if ya ask me.

Couple the Pie deal with the deal the O's just made today and I think they're in better shape. Olson is replaced by the SP prospect that Baltimore just acquired from Boston (David Pauley) who looks like he has similar potential (back of the rotation SP).

Pie is 23 and has had only 260 mlb abs over 2 years so I think it's premature to call him a bust just yet. Apparently Baltimore will start him in leftfield vs rhp with freel vs lefties which should help. With alot more regular playing time '09 will be a better indicator of if Pie is a bust or if he can reach his potential. But that outfield could be pretty impressive over the next 5 years both offensively and defensively if Pie and Adam Jones pan out.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

RotoHester

Source: Cubs to acquire HeilmanComment Email Print By Jerry Crasnick
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    The Chicago Cubs have acquired pitcher Aaron Heilman from the Seattle Mariners for infielder Ronny Cedeno and pitcher Garrett Olson, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

Heilman and Olson have already been involved in trades this offseason. The Mariners acquired Heilman as part of a three-team, 12-player trade that sent closer J.J. Putz to the Mets in December. The Cubs picked up Olson in a deal for outfield prospect Felix Pie on Jan. 18. Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, who was returning from a trip to Italy on Wednesday, couldn't be reached for comment. But one baseball person said Hendry has been an admirer of Heilman's "since he pitched at Notre Dame.'' Olson had been mentioned as a potential trade chip if the Cubs decided to make another run at San Diego's Jake Peavy. The Cubs' deal with Seattle could put an end to speculation about the team trying to acquire Peavy.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.com.

The Reds could overpay, sign Manny, and then trade for Peavy and basically write their ticket to the playoffs, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........Bob and Walt are finished.
    Who's on first?

I'm a little surprised but not that Cedeno was moved. It's doubtful that he would have made the club and he was out of options so a deal was kinda expected. Rich Hill is in the same boat. I was expecting a deal to the Padres for Peavy that included Olson, Cedeno, Hill, and a couple other prospects. Now I'll just be watching to see what they do with Hill. Who knows what happens with Peavy at this point. Anything is possible.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

The Cubs have made another move. This one is sure to push them over-the-top...

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs and catcher Paul Bako have agreed to terms on a 2009 contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bako, 36, last season set career highs with 30 runs scored, 35 RBI and six home runs in 99 games with the Cincinnati Reds. He batted .217 (65-for-299) with 11 doubles and two triples. He owns a career .231 batting average (482-for-2086) with 94 doubles, 21 home runs and 186 RBI in 745 big league games. Bako's .305 career on-base percentage is 74 points higher than his career batting average.

Turn Off Ads?