Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin's analysis of last years draft

Marvin's analysis of last years draft

from Bengals.com

Lewis not kid-ding
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    January 28, 2009
    7 p.m.

During Wednesday's session with beat reporters, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis gave a review of the 2008 draft class and concluded that it gave the club more than he thought it would.

He thinks left tackle Anthony Collins can be a great pro, safety Corey Lynch is going to play "lights out," and defensive tackle Pat Sims "can be as good a player as he thinks he can.":

First-rounder Keith Rivers started the first seven games with 50 tackles at the Will linebacker before Steelers receiver Hines Ward ended his season with a block that broke his jaw. Second-rounder Jerome Simpson made one catch as a rookie wide receiver plagued by foot and ankle injuries and played in just six games. He also didn't play in the finale even though starting receivers Chad Ocho Cinco and T.J. Houshmandzadeh didn't play, either.

"With Keith getting injured, you don't get the full effect of things," Lewis said. "With Jerome hurt, we're down two thereUnfortunately when ever Jerome was getting ready to be a part of things, he got hurt He's a key person for us. When you put a second-round draft pick on a player, you expect that player to contribute at some point in his rookie year and be a major contributor in his second season."

The first of their third-round picks, defensive tackle Pat Sims, didn't make his debut until the sixth game but he started six of the last seven and was a reason the Bengals held foes to less than four yards per carry during the last half of the season.

"We got more out of Pat Sims than I think we knew we could get. I thought he would be coming into his own this year," Lewis said. "He played through some injuries, he showed some toughness. He had to deal with some family issues and I think he came out of this year understanding what pro football is about, and he kind of got a taste he can be lot better player. I think he can be as good a player as he thinks he can and sometimes guys don't understand that."

Wide receiver Andre Caldwell really opened up some eyes at the end of the season with his versatility in running, catching and blocking while starting four of the last five games. He even returned a kick for 43 yards.

"We got what we expected and maybe more. As I looked at the receiver prospects," Lewis said, "if I could have identified a guy, 'Boy this guy is ready to play NFL football,' it was Andre Caldwell and watching his tape from Florida and we got that out of him."

Collins, the fourth-round tackle, got shoved into the real world when the left tackles in front of him, Levi Jones and Andrew Whitworth, went down in the Nov. 16 tie against the Eagles and he had to start the last six games. The first two, naturally, came against the NFL's top two defenses, and Lewis said he "obviously exceeded expectations."

"As a kid (he) was way better than advertised," Lewis said. "He's got a chance to be a great pro and one of those tough guys you can build around for a long time."

Fifth-rounder Jason Shirley, the monstrous 340-pound defensive tackle, got more ink for his legal problems back in Frenso, Calif., than he did for anything he did on the field. His DUI was resolved late in a season he played in just three games and Lewis says his problems are behind him. Shirley had a knock in college for lacking intensity, but Lewis likes how he's responded to the tough love of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and line coach Jay Hayes.

"Not as much as maybe we had hoped to get, but I think now (he) understands what NFL football isThe light is on. Because he wants to be good. Mike Zimmer and Jay climbed up his butt (every practice), so he understands what's ahead for him. He has to have a great offseason. You know what? Maybe we hit a home-run there. That would be big."

The two sixth-rounders, Lynch and tight end Matt Sherry, got hurt but Lynch flashed before missing the last eight games with a knee injury on an interception from scrimmage and five special teams tackles.

"I liked the things Corey was doing before he got hurt," Lewis said. "Being a guy that understands football and has the feel for the game like Corey Lynch, I think next year he'll play lights out and really compete hard at being a starting player and we'll be able to give him some roles."

Sherry underwent season-ending shoulder surgery during training camp, but they saw enough to keep him around on rehab.

"I think he's going to grow and develop into a bigger man and might be that kind of multi-talented tight end than can receive the ball and be more of a threat in the passing game that we kind of keep looking for," Lewis said. "He has a chance to be like some of these guys that are playing and doing a good job in the passing game and be a threat. A guy that can separate and win on third down, yet gives you the blocking and things you need out of the tight end position based on some of the (pass) protections and things we do if we're going to continue to work with three wide receivers being the primary focus of things."

Wide receiver Mario Urrutia is the one seventh-rounder who stuck around (defensive end Angelo Craig was cut after camp and ended up in New England at the end of the season), but never got off the practice squad. Lewis likes his 6-5 height, but not the excess of 230 pounds.

"He got better as the season went on," Lewis said. "He was inconsistent with his hands coming in and by the end of the year I think he caught the ball very well. His focus is to keep his weight down."

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7481

I think this changes my view a little about who they have on their board, I think their board (needs) maybe

1. pass rusher
    2. OL
    3. RB
    4. OL
    5. pass rusher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marvin's analysis of last years draft

Well, he must like Simpson and Caldwell if you believe Pro Football Weekly- They're currently speculating that TJ will sign with Seattle and that Chad may be traded to the Giants at a bargain price.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Well, he must like Simpson and Caldwell if you believe Pro Football Weekly- They're currently speculating that TJ will sign with Seattle and that Chad may be traded to the Giants at a bargain price.
    Frankly, I think it's time to turn the page on both of those guys. Talented & productive, no doubt. Turn the roster over just a bit more and see if this team can erase some of it's past demons.

GL

Just imagine, we could have had two first rounders for CJ if not for Mike Brown's stubbornness/inertia. THANKS MIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Just imagine, we could have had two first rounders for CJ if not for Mike Brown's stubbornness/inertia. THANKS MIKE!
    What about the salary cap hit?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What about the salary cap hit?
    What are we doing with our salary cap anyway?

Two 1st round picks for CJ. A entire draft for Ricky Williams. Mike's a proud man. He won't take shortcuts. He wants to earn those four win seasons.

Wasn't potential first round pick? Didn't the Redskins and Chad's performance determine the value of the pick? Just like Green Bay could have gotten a first round pick if the Jets advanced to the super bowl but not will receive a 3rd rounder I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Wasn't potential first round pick? Didn't the Redskins and Chad's performance determine the value of the pick? Just like Green Bay could have gotten a first round pick if the Jets advanced to the super bowl but not will receive a 3rd rounder I believe.
    Perhaps definitely 1 first rounder and then the 2nd could have been a first or second. I think I've got that right.

Perhaps definitely 1 first rounder and then the 2nd could have been a first or second. I think I've got that right.
    I'm sure the Skins would've thrown in a 3rd or 4th-rounder too, just for good measure. They treat draft picks like they've got cooties.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I think it was a first rounder guaranteed and a third rounder that could have escalated to a first.

I completely agree on the Saints trade though, of course, given it is Mike Brown, we would have blown it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Wow that's news! I kinda expected some trade rumblings around Chad and I didn't buy it last year as the cap hit would have been way too big, but now makes a lot more sense for many reasons. But there is no way I would do it for less than a 2nd rounder and I would ask for a 2nd later pick if I took it. A 2nd and a 5th I could live with. But I would shoot for as much as possible and then offer a trade for Anquan Boldin, how about Simpson and the 5th from NY. I wouldn't let TJ get away at all, but would understand it if they did.

Maybe this is what Marvin means when he says next years team will be a lot different. It sounds like he has layed down the gauntlet, get on the same page or get out.

As for last years draft I agree with Marvin I like what I have seen from it and frankly I was higher on Simpson than most. I think he is gonna be a pretty good WR.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think it was a first rounder guaranteed and a third rounder that could have escalated to a first.

I completely agree on the Saints trade though, of course, given it is Mike Brown, we would have blown it as well.
    Why would he want more draft picks? That is just more money he has to shell out. First rounders aren't cheap.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Why would he want more draft picks? That is just more money he has to shell out. First rounders aren't cheap.
    Mike Brown, is that you?

I guess it depends on if you want to spend money to shore up holes on the team, and getting young talent in to do so is the best way to go in the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Wow that's news! I kinda expected some trade rumblings around Chad and I didn't buy it last year as the cap hit would have been way too big, but now makes a lot more sense for many reasons. But there is no way I would do it for less than a 2nd rounder and I would ask for a 2nd later pick if I took it. A 2nd and a 5th I could live with. But I would shoot for as much as possible and then offer a trade for Anquan Boldin, how about Simpson and the 5th from NY. I wouldn't let TJ get away at all, but would understand it if they did.

Maybe this is what Marvin means when he says next years team will be a lot different. It sounds like he has layed down the gauntlet, get on the same page or get out.

As for last years draft I agree with Marvin I like what I have seen from it and frankly I was higher on Simpson than most. I think he is gonna be a pretty good WR.
    Pretty amazing. Marvin gets to remake a team twice in seven seasons when he has had only one winning season and the last three seasons, the record has gotten progressively worse.

When is the last time a coach has lasted long enough for that.

But he did win one year under Mike Browns parameters. Maybe that constitutes success for the Bengals.

Turn Off Ads?