Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Bratkowski on his way out as Bengals OC?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Is Bratkowski on his way out as Bengals OC?

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...in_demand.html

Ravens coaches in demand

If the Ravens lose today to Pittsburgh, don't be surprised if defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is named head coach of the New York Jets Monday or Tuesday. Ryan and the Jets are reportedly close to a deal, but nothing is definite.

If Ryan leaves, look for him to take several Ravens coaches with him, including linebackers coach Mike Pettine, who would become the Jets' defensive coordinator. Ryan also likes Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, who would become the Jets' offensive coordinator. The only problem is that Jackson is also being approached by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to become Cincinnati's offensive coordinator.

Jackson was once the Bengals' wide receivers coach, and tutored Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer in college.

-Mike Preston

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Bratkowski on his way out as Bengals OC?

That sounds too good to be true...

I'd think if the Bengals were going to dismiss Bratkowski, they would have done so by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'd think if the Bengals were going to dismiss Bratkowski, they would have done so by now.
    Its always possible that they're waiting to see who is available after the playoffs unfold. If they fire Bratkowski and are unable to find a better option and end up hiring a coach that doesn't deserve to be an OC then they're in even worse shape. Although some may say you couldn't possibly get worse than Brat.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

They really need to can Brat. His running schemes are particularly awful. The way he would send Perry up the gut when he was so much more effective running to the outside was an excellent microcosm of his overall horribleness.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    They really need to can Brat. His running schemes are particularly awful. The way he would send Perry up the gut when he was so much more effective running to the outside was an excellent microcosm of his overall horribleness.
    I could only laugh at how often they sent Perry up the middle and Benson on the outside. I'd like to see the Bengals go in a different direction, but there's a big part of me that tells me Bratkowski has a lot of tricks up his sleeves that weren't used because the Bengals were out of the competition so early. If he were to return, I wouldn't have a problem with it. There's only so far you can go with an injured franchise QB, no starting HB or FB, a blocking TE, WRs battling injury, and a patchwork offensive line.

Offense is garbage in garbage out. When you don't have a line that can create holes and move the defense around, it doesn't matter if you have Kreskin running the offense. It's going to suck. Bratkowski was the offensive coordinator a few years ago when the Bengals were actually capable of scoring in bunches.
    It's not Bratkowski, people.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Offense is garbage in garbage out. When you don't have a line that can create holes and move the defense around, it doesn't matter if you have Kreskin running the offense. It's going to suck. Bratkowski was the offensive coordinator a few years ago when the Bengals were actually capable of scoring in bunches.
    I agree. The offensive lines the last few years have really been coach killers.

No OC would look good having Perry as the featured back and last year's Plan B at quarterback if Carson goes down.

Their problems start at a higher payscale.

I'm amazed that people want to give Bratkowski the benefit of the doubt. Time for new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'm amazed that people want to give Bratkowski the benefit of the doubt. Time for new ideas.
    I have no problem with new ideas and a new OC.

I just don't know what new ideas will mask a terrible O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I have no problem with new ideas and a new OC.

I just don't know what new ideas will mask a terrible O-line.
    I agree the O-line sucks and needs revamping... it's just that I'm just as sick of Brat and his play-calling.

I'm not saying it's an exact parallel, but look at the defense: the D was definitely improved this season after getting rid of Bresnahan. Remember in season's past how we always blamed the personnel?

Edit: And it's not like the offense has just been disappointing this season only. Brat's play-calling has been questionable for a couple seasons now (since after 2005 really).
    Last edited by WMR; 01-20-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Bratkowski's unpredictable play calling is what got the Bengals from 3-13 to 8-8 in Marvin's first couple years. It was also a big factor in the Bengals' playoff season. However, his unpredictability has become way too predictable, and with the offensive line in such bad shape, I should be trying to get more creative. Rushing Perry up the gut and Benson around the edges may be unpredictable, but it's also stupid. I'm willing to give the guy one more chance just because I know he has the ability to do well, but if 2009 is just like 2006-8, I'll be calling for his head ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    If only it were that simple, although I credit 2005 with having a lot of toys to work with on offense and a respectable defense.

What will live in my mind was the first game of this season. The Bengals got a turnover on the Ravens first possession and were well within striking range. Any time you get a turnover like that, you go straight for the kill. Bratkowski ran the ball the first two times and Palmer was sacked on third down, knocking them out of field goal range.

Bratkowski is way too conservative, and that is really what has stifled the Bengals offense, especially the last two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

It's what they get for letting Steinbach go.

Hey, let's franchise Stacy Andrews again. LOL. Brilliant.

Fire them all.

Turn Off Ads?