Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who was the worst majority owner for the Reds in recent times and why?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marge Schott

25 28.74%
  • Carl Lindner

56 64.37%
  • Bob Castellini

2 2.30%
  • Too early to say

4 4.60%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Worst Reds ownership?

Re: Worst Reds ownership?

Wasn't it Marge who refused to pay for Eric Davis' airplane ticket back from Oakland after the World Series after he was laid up for a lacerated kidney after making a diving catch?
    Not exactly a generous and thoughtful act.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    And I'm sure the Reds moving to AZ and sharing a place with the Indians is going to "work out well" too.
    I look at the whole ST move to Arizona as a sign of the Reds' lack of a brand name. Is there any doubt that the Reds would have stayed in Florida if they could have found a good deal there? Is there any doubt the majority of Reds fans would have preferred the team do its spring training in Florida instead of Arizona? Of course not.

Yet what municipality wants to spend beaucoup bucks on a facility for the Reds? The answer is Goodyear, AZ, which I'm sure is a perfectly fine, sleepy little town, but it's only getting ST tenants because it's throwing money at them.

The Reds took what they could get because that's what the franchise has become: an enterprise that has to take what it can get.
    Last edited by M2; 01-20-2009 at 07:14 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Lindner and the limited partners sued Marge during her reign for not distributing enough money to them. She was spending to much for players(the Reds were a high payroll team until ~94-95 IIRC) and not dispursing enough to the limiteds(in their opinion).
    Basically the same power brokers that sat behind Marge and did that to her are sitting behind Castellini now. Bob has to answer to them. Carl H. Lindner -- Mrs. Louis Nippert -- William J. Reik -- George L. Strike
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-20-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Wasn't it Marge who refused to pay for Eric Davis' airplane ticket back from Oakland after the World Series after he was laid up for a lacerated kidney after making a diving catch?
    Not exactly a generous and thoughtful act.
    When John McSherry died on Opening Day, Schott sent recycled flowers to the umpires that had been given to her that day.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Would you change your answer today based on the BCast's comments?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    No, but what defines Castellini will be whether the franchise continues to plod along as an also-ran or it responds to the current financial situation with a serious rebuilding effort.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Here's what I said two days ago: Castellini may be turning into a poor man's Lindner himself.

Replace that now with Castellini is a poor man's Lindner.

The only positive that I can say about Castellini is he's a lesser of the evils when compared to Schott and Lindner. Unfortunately, considering how low those two are, that's not a whole lot of endorsement for Bob.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Castellini's pretty obviously cut from the same cloth as the other small-minded owners of this franchise.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Castellini's pretty obviously cut from the same cloth as the other small-minded owners of this franchise.
    Maybe it's the chili?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Maybe it's the chili?
    Could be, but I'm guessing it's the craven bootlicking press and the complacent fanbase.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You nailed it.

Turn Off Ads?