http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

I talked to Walt Jocketty for the first time in a couple of days. Not a lot of news to report.

"Right now, the most important thing we're working on is trying to get our two arbitration cases resolved," he said. "We're making good progress. We'd like to get them settled even before we exchange numbers."

Edwin Encarnacion and David Weathers filed for arbitration. Jocketty said in both cases the Reds are talking one-year deals at this point.

As far as free agents, Jocketty said the Reds are looking at adding bench players at this point.

As for Bobby Abreu?

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "I don't think there's going to be a fit."

Ben Sheets and Oliver Perez, two guys who would fit nicely into the Reds rotation, remain available as well. The Reds are unlikely to take a chance on either.

"Probably not," Jocketty said. "They're still looking for big dollar contracts."

Jocketty said the free agents market is as quiet as it appears to be.

"Talking to other teams, everyone's waiting," he said. "Times are tight with the economy. Everybody's being very cautious. Things have been slow with season-ticket and advertising renewals."

Those big dollar demands could change as spring training nears.

Some things never change.