Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dickerson

Dickerson

I think that Dickerson will progress and become a good player in Left this year. He has speed and a quick bat that will allow him to hit for some power. His defense is solid and I feel that he will have a better season than Nady, Swisher, or Dye. Stay in house and save money!
    JOHNGISA*ITCH

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dickerson

I hope you're right. That would be a heckuva a story if it turns out that way.

I saw Dickerson and Yonder Alonso at the Reds Caravan in Bloomington yesterday and what a difference between the two of them. Dickerson is long and lean, very athletic looking, and Alonso looks thick and powerful. Dickerson is listed at 6-3 and Alonso at 6-2, but I'd be really surprised if there isn't actually more of a difference in their heights than an inch.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 01-24-2009 at 11:30 PM.

I think it is a huge stretch to say that Dickerson would be better than Swisher. He has a career miLB OPS of .778 so saying he is going to be a better player than a plus defensive LFer with an above average bat is a bit over the top to me. Nady is almost as good as swisher, except for defense so it's a stretch there too. And Dye is just dependent on how he ages from this past season to the current one. I don't think Dye will be that good next year, but you never know.

The way Dickerson plays reminds me alot of Ray Lankford... Am I the only one??

Anyway, if he had a Lankford type career, I think we would all be satisfied.

Hopefully by 2010 Dickerson and Alonso will have shown enough that we will have a starting outfield of Bruce, Dickerson, Votto(with Alonso at first); and we can relegate Taveras to an overpaid 4th OF/pinchrunner.

After the six weeks that Dickerson had after being called up in August, as GM he would be my left fielder until someone took the job away from him. In his 31 games he hit .304, had an OBP of .413 and slugging percentage at .608 and played solid defense. He hit 6 HR and had 5 SB; that projects to 31 homers and 21 stolen bases based on playing 130 games. I'll take that any day.

We keep hearing about the need for a right handed power hitter, Dickerson's stats show he hit .286 against lefties and .309 against righties.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    I think it is a huge stretch to say that Dickerson would be better than Swisher. He has a career miLB OPS of .778 so saying he is going to be a better player than a plus defensive LFer with an above average bat is a bit over the top to me. Nady is almost as good as swisher, except for defense so it's a stretch there too. And Dye is just dependent on how he ages from this past season to the current one. I don't think Dye will be that good next year, but you never know.
    Dickerson may not be as good as those players but he should still be an average or better leftfielder and all of those other players will cost ALOT more so I think it's safe to say that Dickerson will at least be the better value by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Path View Post
    ... Hopefully by 2010 Dickerson and Alonso will have shown enough that we will have a starting outfield of Bruce, Dickerson, Votto(with Alonso at first); and we can relegate Taveras to an overpaid 4th OF/pinchrunner.
    x2 but I think we need to be realistic about who THEY will still want in center.
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz1 View Post
    After the six weeks that Dickerson had after being called up in August, as GM he would be my left fielder until someone took the job away from him. In his 31 games he hit .304, had an OBP of .413 and slugging percentage at .608 and played solid defense. He hit 6 HR and had 5 SB; that projects to 31 homers and 21 stolen bases based on playing 130 games. I'll take that any day.
    To think he could repeat the ba/obp/slg % he had last year and have 30+ hrs this year is beyond optimistic. I think 15-20 hrs is more realistic. But I agree that I'd take a plus defender that could possibly be a 20/20 player as well.

I hope your right as well but really doubt he will have a better offensive season than Dye.

You're correct if you look at offense only. But add in defense and it should make it alot closer.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-26-2009 at 02:42 AM.

I really think Dickerson is the wild card here. Everyone is saying the Reds are doomed because they didn't sign or trade for the big name more expensive and more of a track record left fielder. I'm not saying they are going to be in contention either but Dickerson could really surprise. He hits for average, plays good defense and shows flashes of power. He could potentially be a 20/20 guy and that would be excellent. It's unfortunate and I hate second guessing the guys who get paid to do it, but his biggest enemy right now is Dusty Baker.

Dickerson should have been given a chance to play his natural CF. He could very easily be Mike Cameron who most everyone says theyd take from him. The guys been quoted as saying he didnt take baseball seriously until last year and changed his swing, IMO you throw the whole book out on him because you dont know what you got. He should have been given a chance to earn CF not have it given to the one guy that Corey Patterson could be looked at as a possible LATERAL move.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    I really think Dickerson is the wild card here. Everyone is saying the Reds are doomed because they didn't sign or trade for the big name more expensive and more of a track record left fielder. I'm not saying they are going to be in contention either but Dickerson could really surprise. He hits for average, plays good defense and shows flashes of power. He could potentially be a 20/20 guy and that would be excellent. It's unfortunate and I hate second guessing the guys who get paid to do it, but his biggest enemy right now is Dusty Baker.

I think you are right. He was very impressive at times in the minors with some really big games then his bat would go silent. Then last year at Louisvile in May he finally started to put it together, then went on a tear in June and July before his August call-up. If he is 20/20 and can bat .300 he is as valuable as Bruce.

Count me in as someone who has high hopes for Dickerson. I would much rather see a guy like Dickerson who has speed, plays good defense, and can hit for average over Gomes who is a right handed Adam Dunn with less power. I hope Gomes proves me wrong, but the guy strikes out a bunch and is a poor fielder. Sure he will hit an occasional homerun, but so can Dickerson.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Count me in as someone who has high hopes for Dickerson. I would much rather see a guy like Dickerson who has speed, plays good defense, and can hit for average over Gomes who is a right handed Adam Dunn with less power. I hope Gomes proves me wrong, but the guy strikes out a bunch and is a poor fielder. Sure he will hit an occasional homerun, but so can Dickerson.
    Gomes is not Dunn with less power, he is Russel Branyon with less power.

The only real upside to Chris Dickerson is the fact we don't know about him yet. He is fast with and is an above average defender in LF but, we have no proof that he has turned around his game. On the other hand we know Gomes is garbage, Hairston is a fraud and, Nix and Hopper are even poorer options.

The RedsZone community is sold on the fact that he started taking baseball seriously around the same time that he started hitting the ball well. Hmmm sounds fishy. If I was a 26 year old minor leaguer on a fast track to know where, I would say something similar during a hot streak.

Don't get me wrong I hope he turns into a better version of Alex Rios but I don't think it is likely either.

Here are some of his numbers to glance at. Look at the BABIP from last year and for his career and compare those to the norm of .280-.300

Code:
    Season	Team	BB%	K%	BB/K	OBP	SLG	OPS	ISO	BABIP	wRC	wRAA	wOBA

2006	Reds (AA)	14.3 %	33.2 %	0.50	.355	.424	.779	.183	.331	64.3	15.0	.363
    2007	Reds (AA)	5.8 %	27.2 %	0.23	.325	.351	.676	.079	.366	13.2	-1.5	.316
    2007	Reds (AAA)	12.8 %	37.0 %	0.40	.361	.435	.796	.175	.376	59.9	11.8	.365
    2008	Reds (AAA)	13.4 %	29.2 %	0.53	.384	.479	.862	.192	.377	69.0	19.7	.387
    2008	Reds(MLB) 14.3 %	34.3 %	0.49	.413	.608	1.021	.304	.410	25.2	10.5	.432

Sorry I can't get the numbers to line up correctly. However it appears everything is skewed 1 stat to the right
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 01-27-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Dickerson's last 300 AB last year were off the charts. It would be a shame if we didn't give him every opportunity to prove it wasn't a fluke. Besides it is not like they have better options.

Turn Off Ads?