Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Jonny Gomes to a minor league deal

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Reds sign Jonny Gomes to a minor league deal

this was our big RH bat.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kinda cool to see him so pumped to be a Red.

It's a good signing, but unfortunetly he will be asked to do more than he can really provide. He is probably the perfect bench type player a good team needs. Things will really fall together if they find a true big right handed bat. I'm not that optimistic though, and its unfortunate that Gomes will probably take some barage of hate from all of us unfairly because he wasn't the bat we wanted him to be.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He's a good clubhouse guy, a good young man. But this just isnt what we needed. And lets all get real. It might as well have been a big league deal because he's going to be in Cincinnati opening day. Every year the Reds get a recycled OF or pitcher that they can try to sift into gold. Some work out to have a decent but not stellar season and go elsewhere for money and some are never heard from again.

I guess my hopes were just a lot higher.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by akron3344 View Post
    cantu was the right hand bat
    Just signed with the Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    He's a good clubhouse guy, a good young man. But this just isnt what we needed. And lets all get real. It might as well have been a big league deal because he's going to be in Cincinnati opening day. Every year the Reds get a recycled OF or pitcher that they can try to sift into gold. Some work out to have a decent but not stellar season and go elsewhere for money and some are never heard from again.

I guess my hopes were just a lot higher.
    I'm with you on the first line... What I like the most about him is his mentality and fighting spirit. Loved how he handled the Red Sox and the Shelley Duncan - Iwamura situation. I know, maybe it wasn't the smoothest thing to do but man was it lovely to watch.

I like that he's pumped up about becoming a Reds player but looking at his recent stats, I'm in a wait and see mode. Good move that it's mainly a minor league signing.

If you put two (Gomes doesn't make the Reds a strong playoff contender) and two (Gomes regains his stroke) together you just might get four (the Reds shine Gomes up strictly against LHers and flip him for a quality prospect at the trade deadline). After all what is the point of keeping Gomes in the second half of the season if the Reds aren't in contention and he is exiting stage right come October?

The deciding factor here is the reason behind Gomes' stats falling off the table last season. I saw him with Durham last year and I didn't see anything to be impressed with besides raw power.

This is a solid, low risk, high reward kind of signing. If utilized correctly, Gomes as a right hand bat off the bench that gets some starts against left-handed pitching could work out very well. The problem is that if he's the everyday starting left fielder instead of a Dickerson or (hopefully) another potential free agent, then the Reds are going to be in trouble scoring runs next year.

Does anyone know if he has any ill effects from heart attack?
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Gomes is terrible. A good team, or a team serious about being taken seriously, doesnt even look at or consider johnny gomes.

^^he has very good platoon splits against lefties and off the bench and as a spot starter he could help the team a decent amount

That is such a lame, worn out, and repetitive justification. YOu are not a politician, stop acting like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    ^^he has very good platoon splits against lefties and off the bench and as a spot starter he could help the team a decent amount
    If he can hit the ball off anyone other than a little league pitcher or a tee. I wonder if teams have ever told a pitcher who was fairly safe to try and groove a few for guys like Gomes just to see if they couldnt get the reds to keep him around to watch him hit like Corey Patterson when the at bats started to count.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If he can hit the ball off anyone other than a little league pitcher or a tee. I wonder if teams have ever told a pitcher who was fairly safe to try and groove a few for guys like Gomes just to see if they couldnt get the reds to keep him around to watch him hit like Corey Patterson when the at bats started to count.
    That's funny, but c'mon Gomes isn't THAT bad. He cost 600K, that's barely anything. He may not take the team over the top but at the same time he wont prevent the organization from making a move that would help them compete. He is a viable backup option and a decen value signing IMO.

Turn Off Ads?